Yelling to the Sky Reviews

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Dec 28, 2014

If every family is each unhappy in their own unique way, then the O'Hara family has hit the jackpot. First, Ola(Antonique Smith) and Sweetness(Zoe Kravitz) have to face bullies on the way home from school, before having to suffer under the hand of their abusive and alcoholic father(Jason Clarke), as their mother(Yolonda Ross) is pretty much catatonic. And then Ola gets pregnant which takes her away from her sister. So to recap. We have bullying, alcoholism, physical abuse, mental illness, and teenage pregnancy. Did I leave anything out? Wait, there's also drug abuse, yet to come. In other words, with "Yelling to the Sky," there is just one awful and miserable situation without any kind of plot or story to really speak of. So, that just goes to show you how good an actor Jason Clarke really is, as he gives a master tutorial on how to build a character out of absolutely nothing. And I have never been so glad to see Tim Blake Nelson in anything before this.

• Dec 10, 2014

Too many questions unanswered...I need full resolution.

Too many questions unanswered...I need full resolution.

• Nov 12, 2014

Part coming of age story, part kitchen sink drama set in Queens, NY, this is the story of a half African American, half Irish American girl trying to find her way in a bleak, unforgiving family and school environment. Convincing acting, but the storyline is a little conventional.

• Jun 30, 2014

Huh? I'm confused...

Huh? I'm confused...

• Dec 19, 2013

Really moving film, I enjoyed it!

Really moving film, I enjoyed it!

• Sep 09, 2013

Such a deep movie. Zoe Kravtiz gives a stellar performance as Sweetness. It's the kind of thing that sneaks on the inside of you and holds fast. It provides no easy answers, no apologies. It is blunt and real. Worth watching.

• Aug 06, 2013

This movie was horrible and really slow in my opinion I am genuinely upset that I sat here and watched it.

• Aug 06, 2013

• Jul 14, 2013

Good independent movie.....

Good independent movie.....

• Jun 10, 2013

This is an amazing debut from Victoria Mahoney. It can be a bit Grease-y and afterschool-special-y, and the story meanders. But as total product, it shows grit and promise. Every actor turns in solid performances and Jason Clarke is my favorite actor right now. This deserves a viewing