Young Adam Reviews

• Jul 12, 2019

Strong performances from all four leads, does not offset an unsettling storyline with a disappointing ending that more closely mirrors the reality of today's society than anything Hollywood could come up with.

• Oct 15, 2018

Written and directed by David Mackenzie adapted from the novel written by Alexander Trocchi starring Ewan McGregor as Joe who works for Les ( Peter Mullan) and his wife Ella (Tilda Swinton) and at the opening both Joe and Les would then uncover a body that was floating by the harbor. And while waiting for police, viewers at this point are unbeknownst the identity of the girl until the movie progresses with one revelation after another.

• Dec 09, 2016

This was a hard movie to watch. Other than the boy I don't know that there was on character you cared even a little bit about. The characters were all pretty disgusting. It was about 90 minutes but seemed so much longer. So why did I watch it? David Mackenzie, the director, did one of the year's best flims, Hell or High Water. This is the third movie of his I watched and it is interesting to see how he has evolved. Again I thankful for rental dvd Netflix who has such a catalog of movies.

• Feb 17, 2016

Dour Scottish erotic drama worth watching for Ewan McGregor's performance alone. Perfectly recreated depiction of 1950s Glascow and the River Clyde. The film in overstriving for effect leaves the viewer feeling detached. Where does the title come from? Still baffled by that. The barge (which is actually owned by Ella, not her husband) is named the Atlantic Eve. Maybe this gives a clue. Joe is very passive in his approach to women, even though he beds every single (or married!) one of them he comes across. More interesting sides to his character are not really explored, particularly his writing. We see him reading a lot but at some stage has given up on being a successful writer and throws his typewriter into the Clyde. One of his girlfriends who was supporting him while he tried to write his novel accused him of not writing popular stuff, I would have loved to have learnt more about that side of his life. "I Made Some Custard" It was during that scene I actually laughed, yes LAUGHED. Joe is sitting around trying to write his novel when his girlfriend, who has been supporting him for the last eight months, arrives home from work and accuses him of wasting his day while she's been bringing home the bacon. She asks him what he's been doing all day and Joe (straight-faced) replies he made some custard! McGregor is wonderful as he tells her that, perfect expression - I could imagine the actors bursting out laughing as the camera stopped rolling. Anyhow what happens after that sees our hero at his least passive! Controversially, his use of violence here is portrayed as possibly part of a sex game. I got the impression the director doesn't allow Cathie to be the total victim but we are not sure how far she is a willing partner or not. Joe doesn't console her afterwards or follow-up for her pleasure or tend to her. This mix of violence and sex is no doubt disturbing but their relationship lasted 16 more months and Cathie kicked him out in the end and they parted amicably, both agreeing their time together was up. Director's attitude unclear. The score by David Byrne is very appropriate for the mood, with the sound of the cello coming out underneath all the broody goings-on.

• Jun 01, 2015

David Mackenzie seems to have a knack for coming up with some genuinely unique concepts but tends to have hard time translating his ideas into an effective movie. This is a bleak, humorless and and unsatisfying experimental film does manage to build intensity thanks to the talents of both Ewan McGregor and Tilda Swinton. The only reason this film manages to rank this extra half-star is in thanks to their performances that overcome what can only be called a cinematic mistake.

• Jan 24, 2015

I have come to know of Emily Mortimer because of Young Adam. Watched it because of Ewan McGregor.

• Jul 31, 2014

71% Lacked any real impact, in its conclusion. Yeah, McGregor's character is a scumbag loner who doesn't take responisbility for his actions, so what, you don't care for the guy. It was a good preformance though.

• Jul 20, 2014

A Fabulous Scottish dark movie, too underrated i must say

A Fabulous Scottish dark movie, too underrated i must say

• May 29, 2014

Well-crafted film with strong performances and a pervading, restrained sadness that echoes its Beat heritage--A patient, thoughtful film for patient, thoughtful viewers.. Haunting film noir!!

• Apr 21, 2014

Sensitive well-handled drama that's very thoughtful offering realism above any satisfying conclusions.