The Mentalist: Season 7 Reviews

• Apr 23, 2020

Not as great as the previous seasons, but still really good. The ending is a bit cheesy, but good as well.

• Jun 16, 2018

Formulaic but entertaining. 8/10 Patrick Jane is a crime consultant with the California Bureau of Investigation. He has a particular gift for astute observation and reading people, honed through years of being a faux psychic. His gift makes him brilliant at solving murders, which is why the CBI have him around. However, his motive for taking on the role is purely one of revenge: find and kill the man who killed his wife and daughter – Red John. Interesting, entertaining murder mystery drama. Not exactly original – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle / Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie / Hercule Poirot have done this all before. Plus, the episodes do get quite formulaic quite quickly: there is a pattern to them and the murderer is often easy to figure out, by pure elimination or even simply by having a recognisable guest star on the episode. However, it is not the murder mysteries that make the show so entertaining. There are some great ongoing side stories, e.g. Rigsby and Van Pelt, and some excellent banter (usually uttered by Cho, at Rigby’s expense). There’s also the Red John arc, which adds a much less predictable and far more intriguing level of mystery. On the downside, it did overstay its welcome. As with many successful shows, the producers didn’t know when to quit and wanted to milk more money out of the show. The natural ending was when the Red John saga was resolved but they carried on. The FBI period was largely dull and unnecessary and the Jane-Lisbon development turned a wonderfully light and banter-filled relationship into something shmaltzy, overly dramatic and boring. Overall: good entertainment, but I could have done without the final 27 episodes.

• May 16, 2015

Best crime solving drama

Best crime solving drama

• Apr 23, 2015

I'm torn between wishing it didn't have to end and being totally satisfied with the conclusion and knowing that it's best to stop before there's nothing left to say.

• Feb 19, 2015

The Mentalist was was one of the very best show ever on television for 5 1/2 seasons. If Reed Diamond had been Red John as he should have been, this would've received 5 HUGE stars.

• Feb 19, 2015

Series Finale :'( After 7 years, we came to a beautiful end, the last season and half, I thought it should have ended with Red John, but after this stunning finale I was wrong, the finale brought everything back, a serial killer, a big case and chase, an emotional theme with a sentimental goodbye to all the cast!!! and promise of the happy ever after they will have... I <3 it and it made me forget all about these past episodes :p I only hope to see them in another venues in the future :)

• Dec 28, 2014

Much better and revived now that Red John and boredom have been replaced with a little romance. Still this probably should be the last season.

• Nov 25, 2014

The first season start with an intersting plot but as the series continue you see the writers don't know how to continue the plot. I don't know why this seris continue to season 7, it should end in season 3.