The Fall: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

Griping series. Terrific acting/editing.

Griping series. Terrific acting/editing.

• Jun 27, 2019

To the audience reviewers who say "oh this is TV- telly-ish" I'd have to agree. It is, in fact, a series, thus it's on TV. As for those bleating that the women are not strong, not independent, I don't believe this either. From the very first episode, in the first 20 minutes actually, we're witness to some exacting female characters, some who know exactly want they want, others who are exploring that and if Gibson likes likes to "go with the flow" then that's more evidence, not of experiential uncertainty, but that it's part of her personality. I find audience comments about the perpetrator being "a Jew and that's a surprise" incredibly naive and plain wrong. Many characters in series from House to The West Wing, to Janet King, Vera, Miss Fisher and Doctor Blake have used Jewish characters portrayed as suspicious without the audience gasping with shock and secretly thrilled. This isn't a "heavy" thriller nor is it a particularly new take on the crime procedural but it controls its pace delicately, & it's directed in a subtle manner and elegant manner. Perfect for a binge watch and a good chat afterwards.

• Apr 14, 2019

Here's my take. A fairly palatable crime/serial murderer film. Anderson needs to tip her plastic guys huge as she nearly looks half her age. That's incredible to begin with. The story is just OK. Very T.V.-ish. Easy to fade away from it. Here is what disturbed me most about this film. Anderson plays this balls-against-the-wall feminist cop where is later revealed some daddy issues drives her. We see her acting inviting the young meat cop to her room for a tryst. We later see her kiss the pathologist in the bar indicating she'll do any gender for the "flow." This movie is trying to promote strong females challenging the male roles and it falls flat on it's ass. The young teen engages with Spectre like some 1940's naive school girl. I wasn't this stupid in the 70's. Powerful intelligent women ? I don't see it. Step into the 21st century say a female cop to her male partner. Really ? I observe agenda selling cliches for an audience who doesn't see past the crime selling narrative. The whole underbelly of this film is stupid and predictable. I enjoyed one small point int this film. Almost always you will never see a Jew doing anything deviant or murderous in films. That's a huge no no. I was pleasantly surprise that out killer was. Got nothing better to do on a rainy afternoon this will do. Could have been outstanding. At best mediocre entertainment.

• Nov 23, 2018

A crime show like no other, the protagonist and antagonist are fascinating, the mood the show creates is mysterious and dark, and the subtle social commentary perfectly blends with the show's narrative?.

• Mar 23, 2018

Love this SHow! it is a little slow after the first few episodes but after that it draws you in and you wont be able to stop watching. YOu will not be able to predict what happens next.

• Jan 02, 2018

It’s a good show. I would not said it is great tough. Can’t believe that it has a 100% on rotten tomatoes. Ok. The show is very very precise and thorough , builds up slowly, shows very detailed and realistic police work , probably best I’ve seen in terms of realism. I like Gillian Anderson and I like Jamie Dornan. They are both Americans though , trying to put a not very great English and Irish accents. I just started series 2 and I hope it will win me over. I will review it once finished watching :)

• Oct 11, 2017

Exceptional character development, must watch it from the 1st season. You immediately recognize the incredible accuracy of the storyline, the character background and the psychoanalysis. It's a must watch for anyone wanting to have their idea of a psychopath or serial murderer challenged.

• Sep 26, 2017

Was hooked and watched the season over the course of 2 nights. Seemed every episode was better than the last. Character development was so strong that I found myself liking them all whether they're supposed to be liked or not.

• Aug 31, 2017

Excellent plot, very "believable" with true characters, original setting with local Northern politics intruding.

• Jun 12, 2017

Slow start, but starts to take off with episode 3.

Slow start, but starts to take off with episode 3.