The Last Czars: Season 1 Reviews

• 12h ago

Brilliant rendering of the dramatic events and missed opportunities leading to the Russian revolution; a clever blend of drama and history. Too much emphasis on sex and some minor historical inaccuracies.

• 1d ago

If you haven't googled this then don't. I almost didn't give it a chance at all because of all the shade thrown at it (by mainly Russians, who knew they were so thin-skinned? After all Netflix is in the business of entertainment, not known for their prowess at educating people in historical subjects). And the complaints seem to be mainly aesthetic a red wall vs the actual white and the worst offence: Stalin's crypt depicted before he was around. Sloppy and bad research to be sure, but is that enough to condemn this show? No. It's not. Not in my opinion anyways. I didn't decide to watch the show to prepare for a history exam..it was purely for entertainment and the fact I love historical shows/movies/books etc. To make my point further, I also love Philippa Gregory's writing and again, I read the books for *entertainment*, not for a factual history lesson. That said I'm kind of a self styled expert on the Tudor era because I *chose* to educate myself on that era. And I don't mind that a historical FICTION book is not spot on accurate. Same with this show, I think it is more for entertainment then education. If I *choose* to study the facts behind the Czars, I will. But until then I'm quite enjoying it and will continue to watch it. Regardless of wall Color inaccuracies. I gave it 3 stars because after becoming an obsessed Game Of Thrones fan (notwithstanding the horrible last couple seasons) is a 5 star in my mind and that's the bar that all shows will measure up to - or not - in my mind. But check it out and decide for yourself. It's interesting the way the show is done and worth considering especially given the apparent lack of good shows on these days.

• 4d ago

Made a RT account just to post this. All the comments about inaccuracies made me laugh - a 5 second Google search will show Nicholas II did indeed have a dragon tattoo on his arm. I quite liked the "interruptions" by academics as it reminded me it wasn't fiction; these were real events that took place. At the same time, the dramatisation lures you into the story and makes it feel more human. I would have liked to have seen more 'real' footage and photographs. And I would have liked it to have been in Russian, but I appreciate this was made for an English-speaking audience. There were a lot of sex scenes which felt a bit gratuitous at times, but Rasputin was a highly sexual character, so it would be wrong to show a sanitised version of him. I also wish they spent less time on the Anastasia/Anna Anderson storyline, as that has been conclusively disproven, so I found it to be somewhat sensationalist. All in all, it's actually surprisingly accurate. Of course, there are a few minor inaccuracies, but I've studied Russian history and I found it to be more or less spot on, as were any things I had to fact check. I would recommend it, especially to someone who wants to learn more about the Romanovs, it's a good introduction.

• 4d ago

Learned some new things. Gratefull that they spoke english. Love the fact that they brought in some professional. Nice that they showed real video and photos. Fantastic how much a like the actors are the czar and the rest of the charaters

• 4d ago

Great program, compared with others of the same subject, very detailed and also focuses on the supposed Anastasia's surviving character

• 6d ago

There are some great things about this show, such as the acting and costuming. Sadly, the switch between historical series and documentary series makes for a strange mix.

• 6d ago

A middle of the road series that enlightens one as to the end of the czars in Russia. The part of Rasputin could have been better cast. He is fine as an actor, but Rasputin was allegedly a huge man. I think that the size matters in this part of domination of the will of others.

• Jul 12, 2019

It's not surprising that this is the laughing stock in Russia. I downloaded the whole season but couldn't get through the first 30 minutes before giving up on it. Unbelievable that this made it past the pilot - it must have cost a lot to make.

• Jul 11, 2019

The Last Czars had potential to be a really captivating series. But it would of worked more if it swung fully into being a Docuseries, or being a fully fledged drama. I might have been able to bear it if the dialogue in the scenes wasn't so god awful and non appropriate of the time.

• Jul 10, 2019

Lovely story and production but the constant interruption by narration absolutely ruins what could be a magnificent show. Disappointed.