Molière - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Molière Reviews

August 21, 2016
really funny! It doesn't seeem like it, but that's a pretty fun Comedy. A Good portrait of one of Molière's part of life.
November 23, 2014
MUST SEE IT. I'm a litte uneasy about it all being in French though... hmmm.
July 7, 2014
Charming, delightful, resplendent
April 21, 2013
Plenty of fun. What Shakespeare in love should have been.
½ March 27, 2013
Molière posits that one of the writer Molière's most famous farces, Tartuffe, is based on Molière's experiences during a lost-to-history period of his life. Most of the movie is this flashback set in a frame of what show to put on when Molière's country touring troupe is given an aristocrat's theatre in which to perform.

In this flashback, we are unsure whether the events truly happened or are Molière's dramatized version of the events. This gives the set decorators and costumers full rein to go over-the-top in recreating the 17th-Century. It also allows the actors the opportunity to push realism into farce. The Director and co-Scriptwriter, Laurent Tirard walks this tightrope deliciously. He is aided by tour-de-force performances by Romain Duris as Molière (Tartuffe), Fabrice Luchini as the bumbling nouveau riche Jourdain, and Laura Morante as his wife and Tartuffe's lover, Elmire. The highlight is Duris' improv performances as varieties of horses as he gives Jourdain acting lessons.

Gorgeously photographed in period locations, with the pristine opulence of the rich contrasted with the gritty squalor of the players' lives. Molière gives us a taste of both Molière's life and his art. Bravo!
January 22, 2013
Think "Shakespeare in Love" except in French. With Moliere. And no Shakespeare.
That's exactly it.
Pretty witty, and I thought that the acting was top notch, which I don't like throwing around. A fairly predictable plot line, but it wasn't supposed to be some great narrative or intricate crime drama. It set out to be, and successfully was, a tragic comedy.
½ January 6, 2013
really good french movie. some really funny moments
½ December 7, 2012
Although I normally like foreign films, especially period ones, this film was not one of them. The plot is so light as to float away, It wasn't funny, the characters were flat as cardboard cutouts, and the pacing slower than slow.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
November 11, 2012
Bears a close resemblance to another academy award winning period movie across the Channel from where this one was filmed, but there were moments of pure hilariousness and dashes of slapstick. Nevertheless an interesting way to become acquainted with France's Shakespeare.
October 9, 2012
Just what you would expect from a Moliere play, very witty.
½ May 1, 2012
Reminds me of Shakespeare in Love.
April 22, 2012
Super funny. Must pay attention to subtitles unless you're fortunate enough to speak French! Very good!
April 10, 2012
I watched the French play when i was in high school.
½ March 19, 2012
Un intento bastante desafortunado y se lo adjunto a la edición y a la cámara y la fotografía. La calidad se salva en la dirección de arte y en parte del vestuario (menos mal), pero de ahí en fuera no es una película que se cuenta bien, ni que està (C) bien armada. Una lástima, con tan buena historia (y tan mala adaptación).
March 18, 2012
Lovely rendition. It was funnier than I expected and a good tribute to Moliere. I would have liked more focus on his actual work and its influence.
February 10, 2012
As someone who has been in
A directed Moliere's work I thoroughly enjoyed this film!
½ January 12, 2012
Would have been more interesting to anyone who knew the story of Moliere beforehand. But it was a jolly romp!
½ January 4, 2012
Really enjoyable: both funny and incredibly moving.
½ December 13, 2011
Romain totally captures the rich satire of the great playwright Moliere. His portayal of Tartuffe is a delight.