Winter's Bone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winter's Bone Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
I really, really HATE this movie and everything that it stands for and show. Horrible Disgusting Movie.
September 19, 2016
Winter's Bone is the tale of a 17-year-old girl who is trying to take care of her family since her mother has gone crazy and her dad has gone missing. It is a very good character piece, and I can see why Jennifer Lawrence grabbed the attention of both the Academy and movie studios. Her portrayal of this girl with the entire world on her shoulders was superb, and she went through the full gamut of emotions in her performance. The style of the film is kind of tough to get into, because it is one of those independent films with almost zero exposition. So we, as an audience, have to piece together what is going on through a number of conversations between the different characters. Even with that, I sometimes struggled to understand exactly what was going on because there was clearly so much history between everyone, and since they all know what went on they don't feel the need to talk about it for our benefit. Once I deciphered it all, the story was a little flat and uninteresting. I think they were trying to add a bit of mystery to the plot, but I wasn't intrigued by it. There are a few scenes that shine above the rest, and those are the things that will stick in my memory, but the movie lacked something for me. I can see the craftsmanship that went into making it, and I appreciate why many people would love Winter's Bone. It might not work well for me, but it could for many others.
September 6, 2016
very good film with Oscars written all over it! not a fan of the ending though
½ August 10, 2016
Lawrence's breakthrough performance in this drugged-up, exquisite drama is something to be expected of her being filled with independent determination that her typically strong-willed character displayed through decently-written life complexions. A harsh, but an ordinary indie at a realistic approach of heat and calm with the thematic materials and characterization being well-directed. (B)

(Full review TBD)
July 24, 2016
The cast and crew nail the atmosphere, and J-Law is really good in this movie. I found the plot underwhelming however, as it wasn't as smart nor thrilling as I had expected or hoped.
½ June 19, 2016
hmm... i don't know that i'd say it was a thriller. or one of the year's best films. but it wasn't bad. nothing really happens besides her gallivanting about while people refuse to help her, so that's kind of aggravating. seems as though everyone would rather keep a meth head hidden than help a family of 4 (who's being taken care of by a 17 year old, mind you) from losing all they have (due to said meth head). other thoughts i couldn't help but think is that probably the majority of our generation's 17 year olds would never be able to handle the responsibilities this one had. and the fact that she had to have the 6 year old watch her cook and learn how to shoot guns just in case something happened. i feel like maybe that happened more often in our grandparent's generation, but not anymore. i can't tell you how many times i run in to people who don't know how to cook. like, how do people not know how to cook? you literally need to eat to survive. anyways. it's a slow moving movie, but if you're in to dramas and unhelpful people, then you'll like it.
May 30, 2016
Wow, that was an intense film. Lawrence did a great job of acting in this one. It's definitely a very good film for it's type but some may think it's too bleak and depressing. They do a good job of making you feel the setting. 8/10
May 23, 2016
It became repetitive
May 22, 2016
Almost a 9/10 in my book
April 26, 2016
I'd argue that this is Jennifer Lawrence's best work to date, even though she was still in her teens when they filmed it. It's a relentlessly sad film, but well written and well shot.
April 6, 2016
A good-yet-unremarkable film with a simple yet somewhat perplexing, often slow plot. It's almost as if, not just the cast but the entire film, was built as a supporting cast to give Jennifer Lawrence a shot at the Oscars. And it's a good performance, probably a decent projection of what we can expect from her in the future.
March 28, 2016
not a feel good film
March 19, 2016
"Winter's Bone" emits a stark, grim tone throughout, and is bolstered by impressively understated performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes.
February 7, 2016
I had to watch this movie twice in 2 days.... Well written and well acted.....very real and to the heart!
February 2, 2016
Jennifer Lawrence is great in this movie, but the plot totally confused me!
½ January 30, 2016
Bleak, depressing, shocking, but excellent. Superb performance by J.Lawrence and cast, brilliant fieldwork. Must see.
January 29, 2016
It keeps coming back, sequence, believable emotions, horror..
January 20, 2016
On second viewing I consider this a full-fledged masterpiece. Gonna watch it again and take down notes for a full review. Such a rich, humane film.
½ January 19, 2016
Pretty good, I wasn't floored by it or anything though. Felt like it was missing something, maybe a small joke or two, I don't know. I usually like darker movies, but this one may have been too dark without any excitement to make up for it.