The Goodbye Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Goodbye Girl Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
Very funny and well acted overall, by Dreyfuss and the kid especially. It got a little too dorky and cheesy at the end though but I enjoyed it.
October 31, 2015
Herbert Ross's wonderfully warm gem of a romantic comedy with an brilliantly funny Academy Award nominated original screenplay by Neil Simon. It concerns a young out-of-town actor named Elliot Garfield, magnificently played by Richard Dreyfuss, in a charismatic tour-de-force comic performance that earned the Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, and BAFTA Award for Best Actor, and a dumped-on divorcee Paula McFadden, played sensationally by the lovely Marsha Mason, in an Academy Award nominated, Golden Globe Award winning performance for Best Actress, and her ten-year-old years daughter Lucy, superbly played by the scene-stealing Quinn Cummings, in a truly impressive screen debut that earned her an Academy Award, Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress, who are forced together as unwilling tenants of the same New York City apartment, slowly their growing relationship leads to them falling in love. Astute direction by the late Ross, with an amusing performance by the late character actor Paul Benedict, as Elliot's off-the wall director of his theatrical play, Simon's touching script is filled with such awesome wit and good humor from start to finish. A hilarious and uplifting 70s cinematic classic. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Highly Recommended.
½ June 18, 2015
Richard Dreyfuss is as charismatic and electrifying as ever (Quinn Cummings is also a knock-out with her sly remarks) in this intelligent and heart-melting comedy about hard times, life as an actor, and true love.
½ December 13, 2014
After all these years this movie really comes up short.
September 1, 2014
This is a lovely and hilarious film. I wish more rom com writers these days would watch this movie and take notes. If it weren't for Diane Keaton's amazing performance in Annie Hall, I would have wanted Marsha Mason to have won the Oscar she was outstanding. The little girl was excellent, Richard Dreyfus was excellent, everything about this movie is excellent
½ February 22, 2014
Onr of my all time favorite movies!
February 9, 2014
An all-you-can-know-the-plot movie, but the leading cast just shines and makes me fall in love with it. Don't miss the song at the very end!
January 10, 2014
Comedic Masterpiece. I couldn't watch this enough times if I lived to be 100. Just bury me with it. Gotta take this one with me.
January 5, 2014
a great feel good movie
October 18, 2013
One of my favorite romantic movies of the 19th century, or ever. It is not your normal sappy romantic movie, it has wit, character, amazing acting by both parts. I just love this movie. It's in my top 10. It may seem outdated but a lot of the lessons in this movie are still relevant today. I just can't say enough about the goodbye girl.
September 11, 2013
Not entirely my kettle of fish although I appreciate Dreyfuss and Mason's performances. I prefer other depictions of Broadway but this is nonetheless a well polished film.
September 1, 2013
I love the "Goodbye Girl"!
August 11, 2013
The definitive romantic comedy!
July 14, 2013
A very funny, extremely sweet love story featuring two fantastic performances by Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason.
½ June 20, 2013
I feel like I'm one of the very few people who did not love this movie. I feel like it was completely over-the-top with its attempt at creating romantic emotions. I feel like this movie was a sad attempt at creating an inspiring romantic comedy.
Even though I did enjoy Richard Dreyfuss's performance,I am completely embarrassed by Marsha Mason's role that she chose to play. I have yet to see the legendary film known as Annie Hall and once I do, I imagine I will be furious at the members of the Academy of 1978 for turning down Woody Allen for Dreyfuss, hindering Annie Hall from receiving the last award of the "Big Five" academy awards.
Overall, I was enjoying this film for the most part, until a sudden love for Marsha appeared from Elliott and I believe the film would've turned out a lot better and more relatable if they remained friends or Elliott turned out to be gay and they somehow became the best of friends and with Elliott's advise, Marsha got the confidence to let love find her and to have more self respect.
The ending really did it for me. It was cheesy and Paula's last line screaming something like "I love you" was the cherry on top of the cheesecake.
My mother told me great things about this film and I believed her. Big mistake.
The Goodbye Girl, I give you a 50%.
Liloh
June 10, 2013
Chick Flicks are not my cup of Expresso still will watch with a great Friendolina who left Flixster, who recommended it at first place.
NaWia
June 6, 2013
A very beloved friend who unfortunately deleted her account after 7years from flixster recommend me this Movie as a goodbye.

A very nice and clever recommendation. I m not a Richard Dreyfuss fan, but it quite took me by surprise. Very lovely Movie.
March 4, 2013
I'm not normally a fan of Neil Simon's comedy, but "The Goodbye Girl" won me over. Marsha Mason and Richard Dreyfuss (in an Oscar-winning role) are terrific and bursting with chemistry. If Mason's character were a little bit more likeable in the beginning of the film, I would have liked it more. But otherwise, the movie is cute, funny, and makes for a good date flick that even guys will like.