The Lady Vanishes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lady Vanishes Reviews

March 22, 2018
Early classic Hitchcock film that gets over looked because of his later work. Hitchcock does a great job of making you wonder if she is the one seeing things or are the other people on the train covering up their story. This model has been made a thousand time it's nice to see one of the originals.
March 18, 2018
Wonderfully stylish anti appeasement parable. The gung ho relationship between Lockwood and Redgrave develops seamlessly around and between Fascist foreigners who do not stick to the rules as the pompous barrister discovers.
February 28, 2018
Margaret Lockwood is travelling by train in Eastern Europe and befriends May Whitty, a retired English governess. She goes to sleep for a while, and when she wakes, Whitty is gone and nobody on the train agrees that she even existed. She teams up with Michael Redgrave to try to figure out what has happened. This is top notch Hitchcock. The plot is fairly absurd (a pretty amazing series of coincidences have to have gone off in perfect precision for the bad guys's plan to even have a chance of working), but he deftly mixes comedy and suspense in a way that nobody could really be bothered by the absurdity of it all.
February 12, 2018
Nothing really happens for the first 30 minutes. If you can get through that its a good movie. There's been several remakes including "Flight Plan" with Jodie Foster.
December 5, 2017
Definitely a Hitchcock classic, though he went on to make better and improved films shortly after.
½ November 18, 2017
The story still holds up after all this time, though the acting and some details don't Still entertaining
July 6, 2017
10 out of 10:

Even if the plot takes a while to develop and the funny moments aren't always funny, that doesn't stop The Lady Vanishes from being thrilling, smart, and at times funny.
July 6, 2017
The Lady Vanishes is a movie that sneaks up on you. For almost the entire first act it bounces around between a number of different characters, it has a light tone, and it almost feels like a comedy. What is really taking place is great character setup. We're meeting these people and learning about their personalities so that we understand their motivations when the real story gets started.

The mystery in The Lady Vanishes is one that totally gripped me. I was hooked and trying to figure out what was happening and why. Unlike many other mysteries like this, I kept guessing but wasn't able to put the pieces together until moments before the truth was revealed. I also enjoy movies that cause you to question whether what we've seen was real or if it was all an illusion.

The cast is great. I particularly loved the 2 cricket-loving (gay?) Englishmen. In fact the movie starts from their point of view and I almost wish they had become the stars of the show because their banter with one another was superb. But Margaret Lockwood became an excellent protagonist, and her slowly developed connection with Michael Redgrave worked perfectly.

There was a certain point in the third act (when all was revealed) that I felt the movie almost came off the rails. A couple characters behaved in odd ways, and the action seemed a little forced. And that final scene, while satisfying, was a bit too cheesy for my taste. I didn't mind most of these nitpicks, though, because I was totally intrigued by the story. This is a Hitchcock classic that more people should be talking about, because I think it's a winner.
May 27, 2017
Wasn't too sure what was going-on much of the time, but it sure was interesting after a bit of a slow & curious start. Incredibly well directed by Hitchcock in his early days presaging what was to come - and beautifully shot, too. Give the Editor some credit. This was a complicated shoot & must've been a beatch to cut together. In all, worth a look, esp'ly for film buffs & Margaret Lockwood fans - of which I'm one.
January 25, 2017
This entertaining piece of thrills and glamour was perhaps the first Hitchcock picture I've ever fallen in love with.
½ November 16, 2016
Very suspenseful Hitchcock. It's not as deep as most of his other films but entertaining and a good use of one location suspense as well as innovative camera angles for the time.
November 7, 2016
Brilliant early Hitchcock. Just great, hilarious fun.
½ November 6, 2016
Great female protagonist and a thrilling story, this movie shows the great potential of its young director, even if the inexperience is shown in some parts. This is certainly not the most polished Hitchcock movie, but it is an interesting thriller that contains many of the features that would later become staples of his filmography. The only thing that really bothered me was the ending which was sort of bizarre.
October 20, 2016
A younger Alfred Hitchcock flaunting his spellbinding cinema magic in this thriller from the yesteryear with an intriguing synthesis of mystery, suspense, romance, comedy and espionage.
September 22, 2016
The Lady Vanishes is definitely too comedic in tone and the first act is just needlessly extended, but the film is mostly great with excellent performances and characters, a palpable energy to it, very intriguing spy elements, an authentic and intriguing premise and a very well crafted, consistently involving storyline. It is without a doubt Hitchcock's finest 1930s film.
½ September 20, 2016
A rather early Hitchcock and a similiar style to many of his films. The first part takes place at a over-filled hotel in a made up place called "Bandrieken". Here we get to know the characters. Later on many of them are on a train and here most of the story are told. An elder lady disappears and most of the people on the ride tells the only girl that noticed her that she must be mixing it up.

There are a lot of talking here, suspicious people and suspiciuos happenings. A true mystery. I like it, but it get's a bit flat and the solutions come a bit too slowly - it's quite a drag at times. Good moments makes up for it together with some neat touches.

6.5 out of 10 melodies.
July 21, 2016
Alfred Hitchcock's first masterpiece.
July 18, 2016
An enjoyable but overrated film that wants so much to be funny (and make fun of British people who think only about their own problems) that it doesn't have any tension, with a plot that, even with a curious premise, is just too contrived to be taken seriously.
½ June 7, 2016
Another excellent early entry in Alfred Hitchcock's original British filmography, with a suspenseful story, humor, and entertaining characters.
½ April 12, 2016
Hitchcock's most famous British picture is a slow, tedious mystery about the disappearance of an elderly English woman aboard a train leaving a fictional European country. There are moments in the film when you think you've gone crazy when you start to question whether she exists or not, but ultimately, the English passengers are indifferent to finding the woman due to their own selfish reasons. The best thing about the film is the characters of Caldicott and Charters, two Englishmen only concerned about cricket.