Marty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marty Reviews

May 29, 2017
Short, to the point, his friends are kind of assholes.
May 29, 2017
With very relatable and important issues explored, such a great humor with many hilarious lines and one of the best romantic pairs ever in a film, Marty is truly the best romance film of all time. Ernest Borgnine gave one of the best male performances ever and Betsy Blair is also great. They are wonderful together and the film is so sweet, so indescribably beautiful that it almost moved me to tears. The dialogue is top-notch, the characterization is very strong and the film is very realistic and heartwarming leading to one of the best films of all time and one of my personal favorites. A classic for the ages.
May 18, 2017
It's watchable and Ernest Borgnine is likable as the title character, but there really isn't much to Marty as far as the story goes. (First and only viewing - 12/7/2010)
½ April 21, 2017
interesting, but completely unrelatable.
½ April 10, 2017
An early triumph for independent cinema, which wouldn't be matched until Tarantino and Soderbergh. The film has perfect, passionate vision that indie films are known for; vision that no other film at the time had except Night of The Hunter. This film is what any modern director needs to succeed.
April 2, 2017
An outstanding movie that breaks your heart, but leaves you smiling.
March 26, 2017
I watched this once one night on cable. I think TMC. Its a good movie. Not great. Earnest Borgnine is an entertaining actor. But the woman gets on my nerves. They needed a better actress.
½ February 28, 2017
It delivers without being bolstered by complexity. It's short, simple, and to the point.
February 7, 2017
Watch it whenever it's on. Just a great simple movie.
December 15, 2016
I prefer the Earnest Borgnine version.
December 15, 2016
Marty is sometimes likeable and other times pathetic. I hoped the relationship would have been more fleshed than what it was.

***.5/****
½ December 15, 2016
good but skip this TV production and see the 1955 movie version
Man the fuck up Marty!
September 17, 2016
Fine story, acting, dialogue. They don't make films like this anymore, sadly.
May 30, 2016
Amazing performances throughout, this film is a must-see masterpiece for any film goer!
April 2, 2016
Paddy Chayefsky conquers again, a great honest look at the lives of normal people- when the hell's the last time you could say that about a major motion picture? When's the last time a movie starred two "dogs" and showed them in only the absolute best light possible? I loved how grounded this movie was, the last line just cuts through all masculine pretense and bullshit and just hits it out of the park.
The most interesting part of this film to me was its highlight of how people set themselves up for failure and get bogged down by the idea of what they feel obligated to do vs what they want to (or need) to do for themselves. I loved how the film shows how Marty's friends and family came to rely on him being a failure, all the while criticizing him for continuing to be one. What an honest film.
½ April 2, 2016
Incredible performance, incredible movie. The perfect example of an 'old movie' that doesn't feel old at all. Very modern, but modern in a way that now feels somewhat lost. You could find this kind of movie in the 90's, and it feels like nowadays nobody wants to do them quite like this with this type of heart. They wanna go too big with the comedy, or they wanna go too indie depressing with it. What's wrong with sweet and heartfelt?
March 31, 2016
The movie gets a lot of mileage out of how well you empathize with these characters. Borgnine and Blair could easily have phoned it in and let Chayefsky's screenplay do all the work, but they both give really complex performances.
February 10, 2016
The original Growing up drama...