The Pink Panther - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pink Panther Reviews

½ November 25, 2017
Inspector Clouseau may not be the main character, but Peter Sellers steals the show in this a delightful comedy that boasts Henry Mancini's classic theme and some very funny moments (many of them improvised), even if its sense of humor may feel a bit dated sometimes.
November 8, 2017
If it wasn't for Peter Sellers, this movie would have been in serious trouble. This was more of an ensemble film, but thankfully the character of Inspector Clouseau would go on to become the main face of these films. It is worth watching, but it runs a bit dry when Sellers is not on screen.
October 27, 2017
Ground-breaking SLICK Slap Stick.
Handsome Capucine, Robert Wagner, David Niven.
½ August 11, 2017
But for the music score and Peter Sellers' timing, quite underwhelming for such an exalted movie
June 11, 2017
I can barely put into words how disappointing The Pink Panther was when I finally seen it. What I was expecting was a witty, fast-paced exercise in earnest slapstick silliness. With a comic genius like Peter Sellers you'd anticipate nothing less. Instead what I got was a slow, dull and completely directionless farce of the worst kind. Clouseau is often absent from the, *cough*, action, for huge stretches of time, but that's nothing compared to the kind of breaks that the comedy takes. The film is rife with horrific dead spots where literally nothing funny happens at all, instead delivering a series of seemingly unending conversations which bring everything to a complete halt. Not even Sellers' legendary physical aptitude is wasted here, as he does very little that's worth even a giggle. Most of his time is spent engaging in boring shenanigans with his on-screen wife, which has no reason to be in the film. It's so furiously unfocused and shambolically structured that I lost interest within about half an hour, and it could do nothing to win me back. It's a film so lame that I wonder how it could have ever been considered great, let alone a classic. When the animated opening credits are funnier than the entire rest of the film, that's a sign that you're in for a long, difficult ride.
½ January 22, 2017
Boring not a patch on pink panther strikes again and sellers comedy genius on show not sure what happened but this is like a different film.
October 17, 2016
I like the musical theme & I enjoyed the few times I got to see Peter Sellers bump into things. Maybe there's more of this in the 2nd 1/2 of the film after this punishingly dull start? I guess I will never know.
September 27, 2016
Hilarious, very funny comedy/detective with outstanding performances, especially of Peter Sellers.
½ September 8, 2016
The bumbling Inspector Clouseau is a bit too player in this film. This is much more about David Niven's character trying to romance his was into the life of a Princess to steal the famous Pink Panther Diamond.
July 23, 2016
The most intelligent film in the long-running Pink Panther franchise, this first entry is glamorous, glossy, light and fluffy, and one of my favorite films.
July 16, 2016
One of the funniest movies of all time
July 8, 2016
- I have now seen this many times, and still enjoy it. Sellers is great and Claudia Cardinale is gorgeous. David Niven is also excellent. A must watch comedy.

- This is probably the best film of the series as Sellers is a little more restrained and the jokes seem fresher. originally the film was to focus on Davide Niven, but they kept adding more and more Seller and then the series became about Clouseau. Even if you don't like the character, try this first film!
½ May 20, 2016
Al ser el primero de muchos filmes, la película parecerá ser lenta en construcción presentando los personajes y las situaciones para crear los chistes, pero con un buen guion de Edwards y el encanto por parte de Sellers, ayudan a la película a tomar notas para la creación de una de las franquicias más graciosas del cine.
½ March 3, 2016
The Pink Panther has its flaws, like most diamonds, but the film remains dazzling despite.
February 18, 2016
It should come as no surprise that Peter Sellers steals this movie with his bumbling and ridiculous Inspector Clouseau. However, director Blake Edwards probably didn't realize what a comic goldmine he had on his hands (yet) and he lets the movie drift into dullness in long scenes with David Niven and Claudia Cardinale (who play the jewel thief and the jewel owner, respectively). Robert Wagner is along for the ride as Niven's nephew, also aiming to be a jewel thief. Somehow, the plot also involves Clouseau's wife (played by French actress, Capuchine) as one of the thieves - which is confusing since to my recollection, she isn't mentioned in any of the numerous sequels to this film, most of which feature Sellers in the lead role (some sadly released after his death made up of outtakes and found footage). I suspect that there was originally no real plan to follow this up and the quirky Inspector was a small supporting character that Sellers took every license to expand. If only this movie were shorter and his presence more central - Clouseau doesn't even catch the thief, even accidentally!
½ February 2, 2016
Fantastic and funny, though I wish it had more Clouseau.
½ November 5, 2015
I don't know what movie others were watching, but I found this to be boring and unfunny. There were times where my brain registered that comedic moments were happening, but they were few and far between. I was never anywhere close to laughing out loud. Maybe it was funnier in the 60s or maybe people watched it when they were young and rated it high out of nostalgia? Whatever the case, I fail to see why this is rated so highly.
½ November 2, 2015
It has some classic comic routines and what is really an iconic character in Clouseau. There's a finesse to this whole operation that was totally lost in the Steve Martin adaptation.