The Pink Panther - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pink Panther Reviews

October 17, 2016
I like the musical theme & I enjoyed the few times I got to see Peter Sellers bump into things. Maybe there's more of this in the 2nd 1/2 of the film after this punishingly dull start? I guess I will never know.
September 27, 2016
Hilarious, very funny comedy/detective with outstanding performances, especially of Peter Sellers.
½ September 8, 2016
The bumbling Inspector Clouseau is a bit too player in this film. This is much more about David Niven's character trying to romance his was into the life of a Princess to steal the famous Pink Panther Diamond.
July 23, 2016
The most intelligent film in the long-running Pink Panther franchise, this first entry is glamorous, glossy, light and fluffy, and one of my favorite films.
July 16, 2016
One of the funniest movies of all time
July 8, 2016
- I have now seen this many times, and still enjoy it. Sellers is great and Claudia Cardinale is gorgeous. David Niven is also excellent. A must watch comedy.

- This is probably the best film of the series as Sellers is a little more restrained and the jokes seem fresher. originally the film was to focus on Davide Niven, but they kept adding more and more Seller and then the series became about Clouseau. Even if you don't like the character, try this first film!
½ May 20, 2016
Al ser el primero de muchos filmes, la película parecerá ser lenta en construcción presentando los personajes y las situaciones para crear los chistes, pero con un buen guion de Edwards y el encanto por parte de Sellers, ayudan a la película a tomar notas para la creación de una de las franquicias más graciosas del cine.
½ March 3, 2016
The Pink Panther has its flaws, like most diamonds, but the film remains dazzling despite.
February 18, 2016
It should come as no surprise that Peter Sellers steals this movie with his bumbling and ridiculous Inspector Clouseau. However, director Blake Edwards probably didn't realize what a comic goldmine he had on his hands (yet) and he lets the movie drift into dullness in long scenes with David Niven and Claudia Cardinale (who play the jewel thief and the jewel owner, respectively). Robert Wagner is along for the ride as Niven's nephew, also aiming to be a jewel thief. Somehow, the plot also involves Clouseau's wife (played by French actress, Capuchine) as one of the thieves - which is confusing since to my recollection, she isn't mentioned in any of the numerous sequels to this film, most of which feature Sellers in the lead role (some sadly released after his death made up of outtakes and found footage). I suspect that there was originally no real plan to follow this up and the quirky Inspector was a small supporting character that Sellers took every license to expand. If only this movie were shorter and his presence more central - Clouseau doesn't even catch the thief, even accidentally!
½ February 2, 2016
Fantastic and funny, though I wish it had more Clouseau.
½ November 5, 2015
I don't know what movie others were watching, but I found this to be boring and unfunny. There were times where my brain registered that comedic moments were happening, but they were few and far between. I was never anywhere close to laughing out loud. Maybe it was funnier in the 60s or maybe people watched it when they were young and rated it high out of nostalgia? Whatever the case, I fail to see why this is rated so highly.
½ November 2, 2015
It has some classic comic routines and what is really an iconic character in Clouseau. There's a finesse to this whole operation that was totally lost in the Steve Martin adaptation.
½ October 30, 2015
These footprints were made by shoes.

Inspector Jacques Clouseau is a womanizing putz inspector chasing a jewelry thief. His affections for the ladies actually lead him to a culprit without him even knowing it. The thief is executing right under the inspector's nose, can the inspector stop him?

"You were more fun in bed."

Blake Edwards, director of Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Return of the Pink Panther, Revenge of the Pink Panther, and Son of the Pink Panther, delivers Pink Panther. The storyline for this picture is a bit bland and the comedic content is dated. The actors deliver solid performances and the cast includes Peter Sellers, David Niven, Robert Wagner, Capucine, and John Le Mesurier.

"Don't you trust me?"
"No!"

I recently came across these films playing on HBO and added them to the wish list. This was very average and just mildly entertaining. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this.

"Strange things going on here."

Grade: C
September 7, 2015
laugh out loud funny with everyone delivering solid performances
½ July 26, 2015
A classic comedy, and a great start to the beloved franchise.
½ July 26, 2015
Original and hilarious! Peter Sellers in great form, as per usual, and the musical score - for a movie apparently not to be taken too seriously - is, well, seriously good!
½ June 20, 2015
Sellers really steals the picture away from Niven. I suppose that's why the sequels revolve around him. The film is a little rough around the edges, but nevertheless solid.
½ January 22, 2015
This film would never make the top 100 greatest films of all time, however it would probably make the top 1,000 (it was nominated for the original AFI list). It is one of the funniest films of all time, and one of my favorites. The thing that truly sold me on the film was Henry Mancini's delicious film score. The Pink Panther definitely has one of the greatest film scores of all time. It made the AFI's 25 greatest film scores in 2006. The location shots of the Italian alpine resort are gorgeous. It makes me want to stay at a resort in the Alps.
November 23, 2014
Not as funny as I remember