Hidden Agenda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hidden Agenda Reviews

December 13, 2014
This should have broken out of the American Art House circuit and gotten a fist full of Oscar noms. The most underrated film of 1990. Essential.
July 13, 2014
The conflict surrounding Northern Ireland will never be understandable. This film portrays one incident - true or not - and captures the spirit and emotions and terror in Belfast in the early 80s. It's political. It's good.
April 29, 2013
Brian Cox is immense in this fine political thriller from legendary British director Ken Loach. Set in Ulster during the troubles it mainly focuses on the British governments shoot to kill policy. Cox stars as the dectective hired to investigate the murder of an American human rights lawyer. Frances McDormand offers fine support as they both set out to recover a missing tape that can expose Thatchers government.
September 2, 2012
Good film with some very good performances by the cast.
August 17, 2012
Punokrvni politi?ki triler ... drama ... svata. Izvrsno
January 24, 2012
Tuesday, January 24, 2012

(1990) Hidden Agenda

Well made and gripping cover up movie centering on the existing immoral tactics of the UK police during the early 1980's in Northern Ireland. Human rights activist Ingrid(Frances McDormand) goes on a dangerous journey to find out the truth about her husbands assassination with Brian Cox as the investigator as an aid to Ingrid. Looking at a different side of the fense centuring on inhuman liberties against the IRA and Northern Ireland. A great thinking looking picture.

3 out of 4
½ September 14, 2011
"This isnt Chile"

Those wordfs spoken by Brad Dourif become rather ominous as Ken Loach's political thriller uncovers dirty dealings at the heart of Northen Island and mainland UK politics.

When Journalist Paul Sullivan is shot and killed by security forces his girlfriend Ingrid Jessner and Inspector Kerrigan who has been sent to deal with the case begin to uncover a sinister conspiracy at the heart of the Troubles.

Loach Shot on location in Northen Island at a time when the troubles were at their height and the feeling of something not being right pervays the whole film.

Brian Cox is Excellent as the dogged Kerrigan who is determined to uncover the truth and Frances McDormand is more than a match for him as Ingrid.

The film hangs on a meeting with Renegade soldier Harris played by Muarice Roves who gives them the detail that a right wing cabal sought to undermine Harold Wilsons goverment in the late 70s .

This being Loach you can take that part of the film with a pinch of salt ,but i found it interesting and very very credible.

An excellent politcal thriller which leaves you looking for more answers by its end.
February 27, 2011
I like several Ken Loach films but this one was not as good. It started off quite well but from the moment the American lawyer is killed, until the end, I felt lost its focus. I don't know if it was based on the killing of Patrick Finuance, the Belfast lawyer, but the movie did feel like it was intended to be similar too, or echoing this event.

I feel this did not really translate too well. The problem was that it showed intelligence agents murdering the lawyer and a suspected IRA man, when what seemed to happen in Northern Ireland was that security force killings were usually carried out by the SAS and not by intelligence services. Also, Loyalist groups seem to have carried out killings which the state did not want to be immediately linked too, such as the Finuance murder. Therefore, the shooting of the lawyer did not ring true for me. In addition, I did not think that the British intelligence officer character was very credible.

As the story developed I thought the plot became a little far-fetched. I did not like the introduction of all the old allegations about the intelligence services actions against the Labour government of the 1970s. I thought it took away from the collusion issue that I think the movie was trying to get across. In conclusion, I think Hidden Agenda is a decent film but becomes confused and is not really very illuminating when it comes to its major theme of security force collision during the conflict in Northern Ireland.
½ June 8, 2010
Ken Loach had spent much of the 1980's in uncertainty, getting what he could between TV and film, some stuff from that era was banned on TV too. But, he eventually settled on this tense political thriller about the troubles of Northern Ireland, politcal cover-ups and even question the decisions taken by the Royal Ulster Constabulary. The film begins when American civil rights activist and lawyer Paul Sullivan (Brad Dourif) is killed while investigating allegations he heard on a cassette tape. His girlfriend and fellow activist Ingrid Jessner (Frances McDormand) is left to pick up the pieces, meanwhile London sends top police detective Kerrigan (Brian Cox) to Belfast to investigate into the murder, and he discovers cover-ups, a series of lies and dead-ends, until Kerrigan and Jessner meet renegade IRA man Harris (Maurice Roƫves), who lets them in on a few secrets, regarding what was on the tape Sullivan was listening to, which scandalises the UK Government. It's a very tense and uncomfortable film, but it's alot more well polished than many of Loach's other films, though it did win the Special Jury Prize at Cannes in 1990. While it does have a brilliant cast, McDormand and Cox are brilliant as always, it succeeds in making Belfast look like an absolutely appalling place. It might have changed alot in the last 20 years, but it's not the sort of place you'd go for a holiday. This film is enough to put ANYONE off going.
April 8, 2010
decent ken loach flick brian cox is the balls
January 26, 2010
A Ken Loach film without a great deal of hype but I would highly recommend searching through the older film rack to take a look at this one.
August 2, 2009
An absolute classic. One of the all-time great conspiracy movies.
June 26, 2009
Interesting Loach film. Not what I was expecting. I did find it a bit long and lethargic, which might have been just cause I was tired. But some great performances and direction.
March 8, 2009
Terrifying and all too plausible account of the security services' role in the Troubles.
December 21, 2008
Excellent, serious political drama that starts off as an IRA intrigue but, under the trademark provocative direction of Ken Loach, spirals into a much larger political conspiracy; great performances all round with a particularly convincing and watchable Brian Cox
½ December 20, 2008
A political thriller with more politics than thrills makes for a nice change of pace -- but ends up as a borderline soapbox for a particular agenda. Between a 6/10 and 7/10.
½ November 9, 2008
Bra film om konflikten i Nord Irland,godt fortalt om enkelt skjebner og det stor politiske spillet !!!!
August 3, 2008
Esta vez Loach se encamina por el thriller para entregar su duro mensaje politico, con una historia que si bien no dice estar basada en eventos reales, todo hace sospechar que al menos algo de eso hay. Mas alla de lo preciso, Loach permite reflexionar sobre los aparatos de inteligencia que a veces gobiernan a los gobiernos, ademas de los grupos de poder que a su vez los manejan. Por ahi tambien se compara la represion de los britanicos en Irlanda del Norte al Chile post '73. De reflexion, sin ser densa ni mucho menos.
May 2, 2008
Our revenge will be the laughter of our children (Bobby Sands)