Emma - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Emma Reviews

November 5, 2016
Deducting a star because of Gwenth Paltrow. I used to like her and then I watched her play Emma and all I could do was cringe. She was whiny and honestly I couldn't believe her as Emma. The other actors were great, she was a let down to the entire film. Kate Beckinsale was the perfect Emma, Romola Garai was also a good Emma too.
½ July 24, 2016
Very slow and dull. Was hoping for more.
July 10, 2016
I do believe that Jane Austen stories do bring out the best or the worst in actors and directors. These sagas are built on thoughts and words and only skilled hands can translate a book's breadth into a two hour film that can show us what someone is thinking and what they intend to do about it. 3 stars because the movie version of this book has good and not so good within. Paltrow is very good in this so if anyone doubts her acting, find the films where it's on her shoulders. The supporting cast helps too, as well as sharply defined characters from an author who knows how people think when it comes to love. Emma is a match-maker caught up in another tale of the right man and the right woman navigating their way to each other's hearts amidst jealousy, rivalry, drama, bitterness, hope, fear, passion and the rest. There are many stories about match-makers who haven't been matched themselves and while this one starts slowly, it does pick up and take some twists and turns to divert you from the predictable ending. I say predictable because in 2016 we've seen it before. But the journey is worth watching because only then can you appreciate the destination. And every journey is slightly different. Love is tough and saying it out loud is tough too. It's not all tea and cakes and though I don't fancy these stories, I do admire the complex situations that arise from plain human selfishness and vanity. We say and do things we shouldn't and neglect to correct our mistakes and that is what Jane Austen writes about; people being foolish when what is good and right is always right in front of them. Worth the watch.
½ July 3, 2016
Emma is, I discovered just after watching the film, is by a Jane Austen novel. In fact, the story is idiot. The film is gorgeous, visually it is a beauty (and I regret I did not see it on the big screen), every scene is a painting or a portrait, the parallel with Greenaway is obvious, but several times I was believing I was watching at some Rembrandt painting.
But the story is ridiculous, the dialogues idiotic, everything is about the most useless, and probably the most idiot, group of people in the world, the English upper class (and I mean English, not British: I have the highest respect for the Scots - I remember the feeling of good smell and clean air when I traveled from England to Scotland - and the Irish and the Welsh: the English one, when he is not a hooligan, is a snob). But this is something I knew: this kind of English things, starting from Jane Austen (I tried to read, but could never go further than page one) and Emily Bronte (ditto) to Virginia Wolf, they deal about void thinking of useless people.
OK, the film is 5 stars for the formal beauty, and 0 stars for the content. So, 2.5.
April 19, 2016
How cutting Jane Austin's satire can be- Even in the rough 1990's.

Nice job Gweneth, but everyone else's *real* accent makes yours sound like a mockery.
½ March 27, 2016
These people (and the plot!) need REAL problems to deal with besides social alliances and tiffs - who will marry whom? Needs a good death midway through to shake everything up! (I know it has to follow the book!). But the comedy is delightful and the misconceptions intriguing. If only there had been more tenderness displayed along the way.
I'm convinced the only way to film Austen is to simplify and modernise the
dialogue.
Couldn't fault Paltrow's and Collette's English accents.
February 7, 2016
Lacked some subtleties of the Beckinsale version. Mr. Elton was too obvious. However, the fullness of the story was more apparent. The characters here are not s strong as the Beckinsale version. Beckinsale's character lacks gaiety that Paltrow delivers. However, Paltrow takes it too far. He seems too desperate for Emma. The gypsies here were more threatening. The ending is actually quite nice. You didn't feel a lot between them previously. But at the end, you began to. I dare say, more than between kate beckinsale & that knightley. I guess it's what hollywood excels at. The other version is better in almost all ways but ending.
½ December 10, 2015
Fabulous rom-com from the incomparable Jane Austen, Paltrow is great and Jeremy Northam even greater; with rather few scenes he manages to convey all the complexity of Mr. Knightly, one of Austen's finest male characters.
½ October 11, 2015
All the ingredients for a good Austen adaptation... just something missing!
May 26, 2015
Fantastic and charming
½ April 25, 2015
Great version of Emma.
½ April 10, 2015
I am not much of a Paltrow fan and found her to be rather annoying as the heroine in this story. Her deplorable acting aside the rest of the story was quite enjoyable. It is a reasonably accurate adaptation of Austen's novel.
½ February 26, 2015
Emma: Gwyneth Paltrow IS Emma, in this film adaptation of the clever Jane Austen novel about the cheerfully conniving matchmaker. It is cleverly written and thoroughly entertaining. A
½ February 13, 2015
Why is it that a lot of female characters, especially the protagonists, from Jane Austin novels are always so frustratingly dramatic, selfish, and vain!? I don't like Emma. It's not a bad movie; it's nicely done, well-acted, and sometimes the scenery is gorgeous. But I just can't stand the protagonist, and the way some of the characters behave and consider that getting married is the only way you can be happy. God, this is such a cheesefest!
June 28, 2014
It is very entertaining and Paltrow is fine in her role.
½ June 19, 2014
Cute, silly, and fun.
½ May 7, 2014
Classic Jane Austen story. Light, but sweet.
½ April 20, 2014
Nothing much really wrong with it, but it's just kind of like watching paint dry, assuming said paint is the lovely and pretentious Gwyneth Paltrow.
½ February 28, 2014
good movie version of the jane austen novel
January 15, 2014
Emma is Cupid but finds love for herself in the process!