Insomnia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insomnia Reviews

½ September 8, 2017
very underrated... phenomenal use of tone and worthy reimagination of the original
½ September 7, 2017
Insomnia is directed by Christopher Nolan, and it stars Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank in a psychological cat-and-mouse film about a Los Angeles detective that is looking for the murderer in an Alaskan town, while trying to get himself out of a situation when he accidentally shot his partner dead and is not getting enough sleep over it. I was trying to think of another film in my DirecTV list to watch, but then I had a thought of watching a film from Christopher Nolan because I really enjoyed his work, and with Insomnia, this is quite an impressive remake feat, even if I haven't seen the original. Al Pacino is fantastic as he always is, and does a great job of just acting very tired while trying to do his job. Hilary Swank is not in it that much, but she's also pretty good that I wonder why not many people talk about her, post-Million Dollar Baby. The one actor that I was surprised to see be a completely different type of character, is Robin Williams because he's quite intimidating at times, and quite menacing in a manipulative way that makes you wonder if what he's saying is true, which is thanks to the direction by Christopher Nolan and the writing by Hillary Seitz, with Christopher Nolan rewriting the last draft. The plot may seem like something out of a Criminal Minds' episode, but it's more than just that and has a lot of intelligence that make it stand out. Some of the cinematography looks gorgeous of the Alaskan place, and I was interested in what's going on, for the most part that is as there were times that were very slow for me to handle. As it is however, Insomnia is still a very chilling film that I didn't realize that he hasn't made a rated R film in 15 years which is interesting knowing that he started making those type of films when he starting making his directorial career.
August 24, 2017
8/24/2017: Meh. A really good cast, but a generally boring and forgettable movie.
August 23, 2017
very involving crime drama set against some stunning Alaskan scenery. 3 Oscar winners in 1 movie. doesn't happen that often. Complex writing and characters keep you glued from the first to last scene. A real good show here....
½ August 22, 2017
Complete Waste Of Time. The Reviews Are Misleading For Sure, Trust Me.
August 15, 2017
Nolan's most underrated film and one of his best despite playing it fairly straight forward...
½ August 7, 2017
A very good thriller! Awesome scenario!
August 1, 2017
Nolan knows how to make this thriller tick, letting the suspense climb and finally exploding in an exhilarating and satisfying finale. Al Pacino is always engaging but with Will Dormer a sleepy, seasoned detective Pacino creates something brilliant and everlasting. The best part is the Shakespearian ending and it's ability to out shine the original with an American flare.
July 29, 2017
****
Although it doesn't break any new ground, 'Insomnia' is a well-made, highly entertaining cop thriller with excellent performances and an intriguing story-line.
July 20, 2017
Insomnia is a well crafted mystery film directed by Christopher Nolan. Nolan does a good with this film and proves once again that he is no doubt one of the best directors in Hollywood today. Al Pacino is great in this film and really steals the show from everybody. Insomnia has twists and turns that will keep you guessing the entire movie.
½ July 18, 2017
A good cop can't sleep because a piece of the puzzle's missing.A bad cop, because his conscience won't let him.
½ July 16, 2017
Dark and incredibly atmospheric, fueled by Nolans direction and some great work from the cast, especially Pacino, Insomnia is a very well made crime thriller. The film takes it time, but the twists and turns pulled me in, and the incredibly well written dialogue was a cherry on top. My problem with the film is a rather minor one, and it is that I didn't completely buy Robin Williams in his role, he does a great job with it, but in the end he feels a little out of place
July 16, 2017
Nolan's Insomnia is a decent mystery film with solid performances that couldn't really grab my attention
½ July 14, 2017
Insomnia:

Pros:
- Amazing Acting

- Fantastic Writing

- Spectacular Script

- Brilliant Cinematography

- Tight Editing

- Perfect Pacing

- Terrific Directing

- Great Characters

Cons:
- Not quite as complex as Nolan's other films, but more of a straightforward psychological action thriller

Overall: A- (9/10)
July 11, 2017
Insomnia is a psychological thriller film directed by Christopher Nolan, and starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. It tells the story of two Los Angeles homicide detectives investigating a murder in an Alaskan town.

Let me just tell you this, Christopher Nolan has won three World Series by making this one because this is his third World Series win!! Insomnia as very much well known a remake of the 1997 Norwegian film of the same name, Insomnia, and Christopher Nolan re-written the script for a better telling of the 1997 remake.

Christopher Nolan has to be one of the great directors working with actors, he is and acting director. Any of his films that he directs he make sure that he gets one of the great actors, or low praise director and make it a high appraisal acting career for his actors.

This is once again sadly one of the films that no one is interested to see, or to some friends saying like oh it's an OK film, but this is a phenomenal film. Very suspenseful, very chilling, and very real. Like Christopher Nolan is not a huge fan for green screen or CGI and any others feel he practically is a practical man when he directs his films. He only use green screen shots when it's necessary, even when he uses it, he uses it that is not even telling that is not even been used in the film that's how good of a director he is, production crew gets high approval from me. I don't know how his crew does it but they're geniuses.

Al Pacino and Robin Williams are fantastic actors in this film, they're so keen on to one another. And Robin Williams surprisingly one of the best actors playing a villain I have never seen Robin Williams play a bad guy in the film never, recipes for this man my God he is such a fun actor to witness every time I see him on the big screen. Good guy or bad guy vigilante whatever he is such a good actor I love Robin Williams.

I really hope that everybody can shut up and just witness this film. It is a phenomenal phenomenal film ever put on two big screen is my only favorite remake well except that the depapted that is a really good film too that was a remake as well. But just go see this film.

I don't know once was Christopher Nolan's films every time I go see him but I see something new every single time when I see his films. It is so unique but what Christopher Nolan does with his direction that you have to watch the film over it over it again just to get it right and find every little bit of what he leaves in for his films

Grade: A Perfect 10
July 4, 2017
Kind of over rated but not a bad movie at all this movie is still great.
June 27, 2017
Christopher Nolan has a formula that most are aware of by now. Between Memento, Inception, and Interstellar, he has established himself as the director who creates psychological thrillers with plot twists that no one expects, even if they expect the existence of a plot twist. Insomnia is nothing like any of these. Nolan has definitely left his mark, sure, but the mark he made was on a mystery thriller that is intense from start to finish. This is helped, in part, by a riveting performance from Al Pacino. His performance goes beyond dialogue, as Pacino makes the most out of movement and emotion.

Nolan is a special sort of director, as he pays attention to more detail than most others. The slightest mistake never goes unnoticed and he makes sure to catch shots that most directors wouldn't think twice about. It seems like something small to worry about, but comparing this movie to most others, it makes a difference.

Although Insomnia was praiseworthy for so many reasons, the major letdown in this film is that many of the lines didn't feel authentic. It was as if the actors were just reading lines, instead of playing a part. It wasn't noticeable throughout the entire film, but it was distracting at times. Despite this, Insomnia is still a movie everyone should watch. It's a spectacular thriller directed by the Master of Mystery.
½ May 31, 2017
Al Pacino is a legend
May 25, 2017
Nolan's trademark touch of moral ambiguity and philosophical poignancy make for a worthy memento follow-up.
½ May 6, 2017
Awesome work . awesome project. 100/100 as per my perspective. This will resonate you at many ways where it resembles the surroundings.