Insomnia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Insomnia Reviews

½ November 25, 2016
A story with not much to it, despite solid performances.
½ September 25, 2016
Damn, this movie is so riveting and smart! Although it is a remake of a Norwegian film, if you look at what the story is about, it just makes perfect sense why Nolan decided to make it. This is a grade-A psychological drama about morality and guilt; but also a masterfully crafted piece of entertainment with great performances and moments of genuine suspense. It is beautifully shot (kudos to Wally Pfister), beautifully edited (kudos to Dody Dorn), beautifully scored (major props to David Julyan, who also wrote the score for Nolan's "The Prestige"), and Pacino and Williams are dynamite. "Insomnia" is one of Nolan's best films. Highly entertaining and engrossing.
September 24, 2016
I've never experienced Insomnia but I have pull some all nighters in my day and they are not fun. Sometimes you have to like school to get a paper done that you started to late but other times its extremly unnecessary but some people just either cant sleep or just like to stay up late. I can relate to being so mentally frustrating at being soooo sleep deprived at a crucial moment such as taking a test or just perfoming in sports. In this case for the movie Insominia, Al Pacino's will dormer lacks the energy when he needs it to catch a crafty killer. Insominia is a brilliant piece of work from the genius himself Christopher Nolan and you see how he is just beginning to use the same tools that made batman saga such as wonderful and masterful trilogy. Insominia definitely has landed on my favorites from this fantastic director.
Insominia takes place in Alaska of all places where LAPD detective Will Dormer is sent to solve a murder of a young girl. He meets the Alaska police department which also has a young female cop by the name of Ellie Burr. Dormer despite having been in all kinds of unique and dangerous situations he finds Alaska to be unlike anywhere he's ever been and as the case progresses he comes face to face with demons and a killer that's he never thought he would come across. All of this happens while he suffers from several sleepless nights thus having insominia.
The story is nicely woven and so thoughtout and complex. its so crazy how the the constant light in Alaska makes it hard to tell when in the day people are out asleep or even just awake so I don't blame will for having insominia. Techically you can say this is what started the filmmaking style that we see from Nolan today. As usual amazing cinematography from wally phister. Such great and beautiful shots of Alaska, a place that you can reeeeally learn about by just watching this film.
Al Pacino performance in this film is amazing. His character has sooooo many layers of complexity and dimensions. He really captured physically the look of a guy who hadn't slept in days maybe weeks. Robin Williams was pretty damn good as a villain. There was still some of the likeableness in Williams but overall he played a well crafted villain who was pretty cunning. He's actually the kind of bad guy who might actually feel sorry for will and in a sick way want to help him. Hilary Swank did a fine job here. I was happy she didn't turn out to be some bimbo idiot she actually had a sufficient sub story in here as well that connected to it all.
Christopher Nolan is amazing here with his directing. He really brings you deep into the characters tired and slightly disheveled self. he really explores the idea of insomnia and how much it can bring you down physically mentally and psychologically .you feel really connected with Dormer and the overall story. He brings such an usual atmosphere and makes it so worth watching.
September 14, 2016
One of the great performances of Pacinos later career. it's almost like the director ACTUALLY deprived him of sleep. A great subtle psychological thriller all around.
½ September 11, 2016
I have seen some brilliant psychological thrillers. This was not one. This movie starts with Pacino's character looking drowsy on the flight to Alaska. This drowsiness plaques the entire film, not from Detective Dormer's insomnia, but from the film's lack of climax & it's inability to construct a coherent story & developer it's characters. It also left too many questions unanswered, like why did these detectives need to help this department with this murder investigation when they are chasing the killer down in the first five minutes of the movie? And if this is a murder mystery, why weren't the cops in the story investigating the murder? What happened in LA that these cops were running from? Was it serious enough that Dormer would murder his partner? And shenanigans with the guns & the bullets? How was the audience supposed to follow that? This was a creepy, incredibly badly written & directed film. Having Pacino play a sleepy cop did not help the story nor did it matter. One of the worst movies I've seen.
½ August 29, 2016
Christopher Nolan throws out his take on the detective/mystery genre and it pays off with top notch performances, great characters and a new twist to this already tired genre.
August 20, 2016
this might be my favorite Chris Nolan film, it's certainly his most straighted narrowed and easiest to access.
½ August 19, 2016
In first time i watch it, i felt it was a bit boring and i gave it 5/10, So after second watching it worth 7/10 - 3.5/5. Nice Movie.
July 25, 2016
Every Nolan film is deserving of repeat viewing and this movie is no exception to that
July 17, 2016
Proof that Nolan doesn't need half a billion dollars to make a great movie.
July 17, 2016
Not an easy watch, Al Pacino's character is not one I can feel much sympathy for. Robin Williams is (as always) excellent as the villain. Plot has lots of twists and turns.
½ June 28, 2016
Not much of a mystery, but rather a journey of pursuing the peace of mind. Christopher Nolan delivers again with Insomnia setting a unique atmosphere to a crime thriller. Al Pacino had an incredible performance that draws you into the film, including great chemistry with Robin Williams as they made this film memorable. 3.5 Stars
½ June 19, 2016
Smart with exceptional performances.
½ June 1, 2016
Al Pacino and Robin Williams lead the way fantastically in a near perfect execution of a crime thriller. Glad to have now caught up with all of Nolan's back catalogue of work - superb.
½ May 29, 2016
Insomnia is an interesting spin on the mystery/thriller genre. I haven't seen the original but I thought that the way Nolan told the story was unique. I enjoyed the cinematography. By the end of the film you feel as if you're the one that has gone without sleep. The performances were good and the direction was great. Insomnia is another solid film by Nolan.
May 28, 2016
A fantastic thriller! I had never enjoyed so so much watching a movie such like this one. Robin Williams, Al Pacino, Hilary Swank...they were all terrific. The plot, the story, the tension I felt while watching the movie...I hadn't felt this feelings before. Extremly awesome. By the way, breathtaking scenery.
½ May 27, 2016
Worth a watch? Definitely, is it really good? Not so much, as it's not the kind of psychological drama you were expecting by the word "psychological drama" or the one I was expecting.
½ May 16, 2016
Definitely not Nolan's best but probably my favourite (at least tied with 'Batman Begins') because I love the Norwegian original so much AND the subtle changes Nolan made with it, as well as what the three stars (Al Pacino, Robin Williams--in his first villainous role, I believe, and Hilary Swank--in probably my favourite performance of hers, next to the downright decadence and naughtiness she displayed in 'The Black Dahlia') bring to the table here. I greatly enjoyed the five short extras on my DVD (a double-sided disc I bought years ago that has 'The Devil's Advocate' on the other side, yet unwatched): a conversation/interview of Nolan with Pacino; 'Day for Night: The Making of...'; 'In the Fog' (which interviewed cinematographer Wally Pfister); Nathan Crowley: production designer; and 'Eyes Wide Open' (which interviewed sleep disturbance experts), which thankfully I viewed before I watched the movie, to enhance my experience.

Greatly recommended to fans of contemporary crime thrillers, regardless of whether you watched the Norwegian original or not. There are enough differences to still make it worth your while as a cinephile.
April 30, 2016
Beautiful but painfully underdeveloped and grossly misdirected midway.
April 27, 2016
Christopher Nolan's 2002 film "Insomnia" is a remake of the 1997 Norwegian film of the same name. It generally has the same plot as the original, but Nolan improves the original by adding a little twist here and there to great effect. Nolan also adds more depth to the story that really makes this a unique remake and a quintessentially Christopher Nolan film. Al Pacino and Robin Williams give absolutely wonderful performances.