Salt Reviews

June 1, 2015
Pretty thrilling chases, but just a standard espionage flick with no real substance. Orlov killing Mike to test Salt's allegiance seemed like it could go somewhere, but Salt flinches just enough for the audience to notice but apparently not enough for Orlov to, which is unsatisfying for the love angle and too easy for the test.
January 19, 2010
Don't know why but actually I pretty like this movie, especially because of Jolie factor and the element of surprise that this movie about to gave although I can predict it by the beginning of the movie.. But as a movie that made for entertainment only, this movie quite entertaining especially for men to look some action plus Jolie!
November 10, 2011
Somewhat enjoyable action thriller, Salt for me was one of those films that I didn't expect much from, but came out of it enjoying the film quite a bit. Although not a perfect affair, the film is quite good for what it does, and it's a highly entertaining action film that will surely grab your attention from the first frame onwards. I expected to really not enjoy the film, but to my surprise, the idea here is quite good, despite the fact that it's nothing ever too original. If you can suspend that, you might like the film. Compared to other films that Angelina Jolie has made over the years, this is one of her better ones. Compared to the likes of The Tourist and Mr & Mrs. Smith, I much preferred this film. The story moves at a fast pace, and there is enough action here to thrill the most hardened action film fan. Salt is a good film, a film that has exceeded my expectations and the cast here deliver some impressive performances to boot. There are better action films out there, but Salt isn't that bad either. I personally feel that it deserves a bit more praise because it's a fun, entertaining film that is worth seeing if you enjoy the genre. Angelina Jolie is quite good here, and despite the script's apparent flaws, Jolie makes things work, and in turn Salt ends up being an engaging action film well worth seeing despite its imperfections. The film's isn't as bad as what critics have said about it, and for what it is, it's an engaging action thriller that despite its flaws manages to be a fun film to watch in order to kill time.
May 20, 2013
Fun and exciting. An interesting twist at the end. It's just fun for a Friday evening...and Jolie's nice to look at!
January 11, 2013
Though it's far from the most intelligent of movies, Salt has some exciting chase sequences, and it manages to patch over most of its plot holes. The fight scenes are a little lame, though - Jolie keeps coming back to the same move - and as the predictable climax approaches, we see the pieces starting to come together not to deliver a satisfying ending, but rather, to set up a sequel. Considering that the lead role was written for, then turned down by, Tom Cruise, Jolie acquits herself quite well, and I thought Liev Schreiber turned in a strong supporting performance - but otherwise, the acting and the dialogue ranked between poor and mediocre, and by the time you reach the un-ending, most of the wind has come out of the sails of what might otherwise have been a decent, straight-ahead action flick.
January 12, 2013
Engaging but predictable.
July 5, 2010
This spy thriller suffers from several problems, even though it is fast and entertaining at any moment. It it taking the uncertain loyalties theme so far that you actually question the heroine's motifs, with estranging results. When you really think about it, the following plot twists are not all that surprising, if you paid attention. It also doesn't help that Jolie has seen better days. That being said, the film is well shot and has a few quite spectacular action sequences. The fact that the ending very obviously tries to opt for a sequel does not make it much more likable, though. Entertaining, but forgettable.
November 3, 2011
"Then you are a Russian spy". So cheesy. Hated all the dialogue in this movie. "Salt" so desperately wants to be like the Bourne series but falls flat. Chiwetel Ejiofor... I've had enough of your stale acting. The plot? Exudes cheesiness and an unbearable personality. I know many agree but are merciful because of the great action scenes. Sorry, I didn't see any great action scenes; there were some nice shots... but other then that, this movie was a bore, annoying, and SUPER cheesy.
January 22, 2011
I had low expectations for this film. I was pleasantly surprised. This movie is has a lot of action and really cool stunts! Angelina Jolie stars as Evelyn Salt, who got mixed up in a big situation, sparing you the details: The CIA is now after her. The ad campaigning for this movie went on for 6+ months, and I was incredibly intrigued. This action packed packed thriller also stars Liev Schreiber (Wolverine) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (2012). The whole movie plays out like an entire season of 24, it's really fast paced and all happens in [nearly] 24 hours! Never a dull moment. The ending was pretty predictable, but hey, it's a movie! To sum it all up, this is an action packed spy thriller that you won't want to miss!
½ September 18, 2011
"Salt" adds a little salt but not much pepper to the regular summer action blockbusters. It's an action-packed, high-voltage thriller that has great action sequences and a good title performance from Jolie, but ultimately gets stuck in the grinder with it's ludicrous and somewhat predictable plot. I'd still be interested in the sequel though.
½ July 21, 2011
The plot isn't outlandish or ludicrous at all, in fact, Salt's premise and characters fall straight into comic-book fair. Hmm, that might say something.

Still, it's a decent "spy" movie however you choose to ridicule it. Jolie makes a great femme fatal I just wish the "twists" weren't so damn predictable.
July 13, 2011
I've been trying really hard to not write something referring to cooking in regards to Salt - but just can't contain myself, so here goes: Salt is a goulash of all the action spy films to date, from Bond to Bourne as many have said - the only added seasoning is that the lead in this case is Angelina Jolie, puffy lips and all.

The story line is ripped right out of Bourne and Mission Impossible - a CIA agent is accused of being a mole.... Ho hum, been there seen that so many times before. But the film holds your interest by making it seem that perhaps Jolie is indeed guilty as charged.

There are some interesting twists and turns to go with the countless chase scenes (which for the most part are quite well done - showing Jolie getting by on her wits and some athletic ability, instead of gimmicks and an air of invincibility), but of course tons of implausabilities nonetheless (with things falling into perfect place and random occurrences allowing pivotal plot advances.

I will say this was well filmed, nicely paced and well acted throughout. Too bad it's just so derivative. The ending opens the possibility of a sequel (or god forbid and franchise) - but with the newer, lean mean Bond, Bourne series and now Lliam Neeson as a tough guy former spy, I have to ask if the film watching public really needs yet another action hero/spy?
July 12, 2011
'Salt' is explosive and hits hard, but its flaws almost punch harder than its petite hero. The acting seems to be up to par, for the most part, but the plot is messy and the script is uneven. Noyce seems to do everything in his power to make Angelina Jolie look like she's even capable of taking down three men in the span of five seconds, but it seems incredulous. That being said, 'Salt' is much more enjoyable on an entertainment basis only, and that's only if you can look past its gaps in intelligence. Still, sit back and enjoy Jolie kicking more ass.
June 23, 2011
Interesting film! I really enjoyed it and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Thrilling thriller. Enthralling and Angelina Jolie is excellent! Great scene, the action stunts were incredible.
½ July 7, 2010
Well, let's see: this film is totally ridiculous, not very realistic, has a plot that doesn't totally hold up, isn't all that original (and borrows from better material), and, according to the theatrical version, is open to the possibility of a sequel. That last part wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but I'd rather see more and more films these days that are stand alone films instead of being part of a series.

Despite all of the above though, the film is never boring, very watchable, highly entertaining, and pretty well made. It's a nice little thriller with plenty of twists and turns (a few I guessed or wasn't too surprised about). There's also tons of action, and it is likewise pretty well done. Due to some creativity though, the film is not rated-R; two other editions besides the theatrical one exist though, and those rectify the pbvious covering of the more violent content.

Angelina (who may have done some of her own stunts) looks great, and does a really good job here. Schreiber is also really good, and Ejiofor isn't bad, but there could have been more of him. Overall, there could have been more (and better) character development, and the plot could have been a little better thought out and presented. Why this film was originally only 10 minutes is beyond me. Maybe that's why there's two other (longer) versions.

Anyways, give this one a shot. It's not amazing, but it's decent enough for at least one watch.
½ February 25, 2011
It has cool stunts and a mediocre story. Anjelina Jolie is as cool and sexy as ever. The action was pretty awesome and hard not to like. The plot is okay, nothing great about it. Overall a really cool spy movie.
July 27, 2010
Admittedly, I sat through Salt in one sitting. I didn't fall asleep even if my low expectations for the movie should've lulled me off to Dreamland. Salt had whiffs of The Manchurian Candidate and The Bourne Identity but none of the excitement. Salt is technically well done and its definitely not a bad movie, but the only thing I cared about in this movie was her dog she left with her neighbor at the beginning. Outside of that I cared for nothing or no one in this movie. Although the drag scene with Angelina Jolie was gross.
½ May 7, 2011
Much better then expected. A pretty nice plot with many twists and stuff. I don't think it lowered the 2010 film year average. I could have given it a 4.
½ July 17, 2010
In the beginning, yes, the plot lacked the hardened violence of a Jason Bourne, or Beatrix Kiddo, but it quickly progresses past latent expectations to be a decent action/thriller. At first the film follows the formula of mistaken identity, going on the run from the people who were once your allies, and ultimately saving the day. Salt comes across as a weaker action star, not hellbent on revenge but instead mere survival. As the film progresses Salt becomes a complex character, the audience unsure where her allegiance is permanently set, or if she is capable of it at all. Through the maze of Cold War reminescent Russian spy games and the intricate plot points, this is by far more entertaining than it's given credit for. The eventual ending, though bittersweet and slightly rushed, begs the question of the tagline, "Who is Salt?" Instead of the concerned agent she appeared to be in the beginning, she ends as the cold killing machine that action films are built on.