54 Reviews

• Jan 05, 2019

It's not as bad as the ratings indicate. But, it is a mostly empty story about degenerate, selfish douchebags. That said, it's a good cast and the story moves along at a good pace. At least it isn't boring, but I still can't recommend it

• Sep 02, 2017

A cast full of beautiful bodies doesn't exactly result in an engaging picture. A fictionalized account of the rise and fall of the infamous Studio 54 and those who worked in it, Mark Christopher's filmization is stilted and tries to go epic. Ryan Philippe is our main character, a dimwitted muscular kid who makes it into the ropes and all of a sudden becomes a bar boy. Salma Hayek and Breckin Meyer are two fellow club employees he befriends and falls in love with. Mike Myers is the lecherous Steve Rubell and Neve Campbell is a soap opera star that becomes the object of Philippe's affections. Myers pulls off some great scene chewing with his Rubell portrayal and celebrities like Sela Ward, Mark Ruffalo, and Heather Matarazzo join them for brief but ultimately unforgettable roles. The director's cut added some scenes that further the vision of Christopher without adding much to the integrity of the film itself.

• Aug 20, 2017

54 conte l'histoire d'une boite de nuit légendaire à New York. Le film de Mark Christopher prend le parti de nous livrer un Saturday Night Fever à la sauce 80s, même si Ryan Phillippe n'est pas John Travolta. Il n'en demeure pas moins que le film nous offre quelques moments fiévreux, grâce à un Mike Myers absolument exceptionnel en patron de la boite, au sortir du premier Austin Powers. Parfois un peu trop long, parfois un peu trop confiant, 54 reste une jolie plongée dans une époque improbable, emplie d'excès et de volupté. Dans le DC, Neve Campbell, réduite à un gros caméo, brille de mille feux tandis que Salma Hayek s'en sort plutôt pas mal. 54 n'est pas sans défauts (trop long) mais parvient à faire partager ce qu'il veut exprimer et ce n'est déjà pas mal. 54 est un Summer of Sam light et c'est un sacré compliment. Christopher gère tellement bien les scènes de fureur qu'il est dur de lui imputer les baisses de rythme inhérentes au genre.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    May 20, 2017

It is hard to believe that they managed to make a movie about glamour and music (with a great soundtrack) into something so uninteresting and vapid - to the point that ask ourselves why we should care or why these poorly-developed characters would even consider each other friends. (Theatrical version) (2.5/5) Mark Christopher's newly-restored original cut is remarkably different from the 1998 theatrical version, especially with regard to what it wants to say. (Director's Cut, full review on filmotrope. com) (4/5)

• Mar 11, 2017

It doesn't do anything to be liked.

It doesn't do anything to be liked.

• Dec 25, 2016

What I got to say about "54" is that it's a terrible movie from beginning to the end. "It's boring and very dull of a movie." The performances by the cast is horrendous. The directing and screenplay by Mark Christopher is incredibly poor. The big problem hands down is the writing. "There isn't any plot development and no character development whatsoever. - Big Problem!" The cinematography and choreography could be much better. The score is bad. Finally, the effects are not the best either "I have to report that "54" is a total disaster of a movie and it's not a must see."

• Sep 01, 2016

Very informative about the famous Studio 54. I watched it like an education on the famous nightclub.

• Jun 30, 2016

A somewhat less Disneyfied tale of 70s excess than the original release, and one that avoids the fairytale ending. Nonetheless, it's still notably sanitised, and at best it's a bog standard modern take on the Orpheus tale with not a lot to add.

• Jan 25, 2016

Wow.. i can't believe i liked this move 18 years ago. Some mighty bad writing and acting going on.

• Jan 21, 2016

This film stars: Ryan Phillippe, Salma Hayek, Neve Campbell and Mike Myers. It's a very slow film at it's best. It doesn't really speed up until about fifteen minutes in. The acting was okay and the storyline could've been way better. The only thing keeping it on it's toes is the both the direction and the acting. I could follow the story at least it had that going for it. It's really an awful picture if you look at it from an audience point of view. From a movie critic point of view just okay. The style was lacking a bit and the look of the film seemed like the color blue. I think this is a movie to skip for moviegoers. I wish I could've been to some screenings for this movie to warn moviegoers ahead of time.