8 1/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 1/2 Reviews

April 9, 2017
A historic work of bizarre and beautiful, carnival-esque cinematic magic. Fellini changed filmmaking, and this movie is a prime example of that fact. It's a magic trick of a film that takes a world most don't live in (the film industry), and discusses it in universal terms; feeling crushed by the expectations of others, the suffocating feeling of potentially letting people down, and the desperate cry for an individual existence.
February 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong... this is a great film. But it's the most unenjoyable great film I've ever seen. It just sort of meandered around until the very end, when it finally had something to say. However, by that point, my mind was so fried from boredom that whatever the film wanted to say just didn't register. I think it's called "8 1/2" because that's how many hours the movie seemed to last.
February 24, 2017
8 1/2 is a soaring achievement of filmmaking, possibly the greatest of Federico Fellini's career, and simply one of the most creative, challenging, and comical movies ever made.
February 11, 2017
La vida es una fiesta, vivámosla con Fellini... ¡Qué pinche CHULADA de pelicula!
½ February 8, 2017
Dastardly intelligent as it is purposely bewildering, 8 1/2 might've benefitted from a more concise statement and focus, but then it probably wouldn't be regarded as the classic it is today.
December 25, 2016
With awfully unlikable characters, uninspired acting, bad directing and boring and incredibly frustrating story, 8 1/2 is another Fellini's frustrating movie with repulsive people, bad approach and no story, themes or points present whatsoever. It is a bad film by all means, an excuse to venture into bad habits and hedonism, a boring snoozefest and one of the most overrated films made by the most overrated film director ever.
December 13, 2016
This is simply genius film making - thematically and artistically. Just when I want to critique it on something, it addresses my critique with sharp self-awareness. It's spectacular to behold with memorable scenes and superb shot making. A Big (capital "B") film in all senses of the word.
November 28, 2016
8 1/2 is one of the best movies about film making, within a fantasy that clashes with reality.

Short answer = It's a masterpiece
½ October 16, 2016
A confounding, intellectual and infinitesimally deep film, hugely influential, completely original and absolutely daring. While it does have an air of pretentiousness and narcissism, it wears such pitfalls on its sleeve, making "8 & 1/2" less of a film, and more of an unforgettable cinematic experience. Essential filmmaking.
October 15, 2016
"La Bella Confusione"
½ September 27, 2016
A-
'8 1/2' may be the most nonsensical sequence of events that actually serves up some great body language (and a very offbeat dubbing process) and delivers a testament on what it means to be a director of film.
September 26, 2016
The best italian movie. The best Fellini's dream.
½ August 11, 2016
Intriguing and extravagant film making, decades ahead of its time in terms of artistic prowess and scale. Anyone who appreciates good film will find something to love.
July 19, 2016
The thing I loved about this film when I first watched it was that almost everything in 8 1/2 contradicts the traditional seamless story line of the conventional Hollywood film. For film makers, this is the film to watch.
½ July 17, 2016
The most pretentious waste of celluloid I've ever wasted my time on.
July 14, 2016
A perfect film, that touches the reality in such a personal, but oniric way, giving you the strength to live naturally, not for the others, but to live for you, with the others.
June 24, 2016
Fellini's flaud character gets more depth with every scene. Difficult movie to process yet wonderful and fulfilling.
June 19, 2016
I think the first time I watched this I admired it without really engaging with it emotionally.. This time was very different; it completely captured me from the incredible opening dream sequence (all the dreams are exquisite) and never let go the entire time. It was also a lot funnier, and generally more light-hearted, than I remembered. I think I must have been half-asleep when I watched it the first time.
June 11, 2016
A classic that indubitably lives up to the name. Staggeringly beautiful, humorous, rich, spiritual and humane.
June 8, 2016
Asa nisi masa, so save time. Three different languages?