8 1/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 1/2 Reviews

November 28, 2016
8 1/2 is one of the best movies about film making, within a fantasy that clashes with reality.

Short answer = It's a masterpiece
½ October 16, 2016
A confounding, intellectual and infinitesimally deep film, hugely influential, completely original and absolutely daring. While it does have an air of pretentiousness and narcissism, it wears such pitfalls on its sleeve, making "8 & 1/2" less of a film, and more of an unforgettable cinematic experience. Essential filmmaking.
October 15, 2016
"La Bella Confusione"
½ September 27, 2016
A-
'8 1/2' may be the most nonsensical sequence of events that actually serves up some great body language (and a very offbeat dubbing process) and delivers a testament on what it means to be a director of film.
September 26, 2016
The best italian movie. The best Fellini's dream.
½ August 11, 2016
Intriguing and extravagant film making, decades ahead of its time in terms of artistic prowess and scale. Anyone who appreciates good film will find something to love.
July 19, 2016
The thing I loved about this film when I first watched it was that almost everything in 8 1/2 contradicts the traditional seamless story line of the conventional Hollywood film. For film makers, this is the film to watch.
½ July 17, 2016
The most pretentious waste of celluloid I've ever wasted my time on.
July 14, 2016
A perfect film, that touches the reality in such a personal, but oniric way, giving you the strength to live naturally, not for the others, but to live for you, with the others.
June 24, 2016
Fellini's flaud character gets more depth with every scene. Difficult movie to process yet wonderful and fulfilling.
June 19, 2016
I think the first time I watched this I admired it without really engaging with it emotionally.. This time was very different; it completely captured me from the incredible opening dream sequence (all the dreams are exquisite) and never let go the entire time. It was also a lot funnier, and generally more light-hearted, than I remembered. I think I must have been half-asleep when I watched it the first time.
June 11, 2016
A classic that indubitably lives up to the name. Staggeringly beautiful, humorous, rich, spiritual and humane.
June 8, 2016
Asa nisi masa, so save time. Three different languages?
May 13, 2016
You don't just watch 8 1/2. You aren't merely entertained by 8 1/2. You experience 8 1/2. Truly the most mind-blowing and inspired work of cinema in history. A comment on art, pressure, entertainment, commercialising and romancing, 8 1/2 is one of those films that only a truly open-minded and thoughtful person can truly get into. Every scene could have a paragraph of analysis. Perfect acting, witty dialogue and quirky directorial and design touches, 8 1/2 has a genuine claim to the part of greatest film of all time. A surreal and highly though-provoking masterpiece.
April 27, 2016
we are smothered by words, images and sounds that have no right to exist, that come from the void and return to the void. Of any artist truly deserving of the name we should ask nothing but this act of faith: to learn silence.
April 22, 2016
Film within a film about a filmmaker... Fellini once again paints himself in a less than flattering light. Surreal, sometimes grotesque (in a carnivalesque sort of way) the plot, such as it is, is hard to follow, but full of striking imagery and performances, and some familiar motifs. More sensual than cerebral.
½ March 4, 2016
I do wish that either I could appreciate these Fellini movies like everyone else seems to, or that they would be a lot less conceited. For me, this is mainly boring nonsense, again about the beautiful people of Italy and a few fugly ones thrown in for the sake of injecting a bit of comedy, which I also didn't find funny. Is it really just me or is everyone else too ashamed to disagree with the hype.
January 18, 2016
I still have to grow up to get all of this...
December 25, 2015
One of most beautifully shot movies ever! Fellini at his best. Insightful but slow at times
December 22, 2015
Beautifully and masterfully shot in black and white, 8.5 is perhaps the singular masterpiece of Italian cinema. Archetypal in its treatment of filmmaker's block as a topic that could provide the foundation for a film, the script moves through dreams and scenes of despair of real life to leave the viewer reflected on a myriad of things. Instantly memorable due to its opening sequence, 8.5 makes up for a lack of plot with nearly an excess of artistic skill and philosophical depth. Mastroianni's Guido is the straight man in a world as zany in its commercial pretension as the dream world he also inhabits.