8 1/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 1/2 Reviews

September 11, 2017
Federico Fellini's 8 1/2 (1963) is a very unique Italian film from the 1960's. One of the reasons I took great interest in watching this film was because of Stanley Kubrick's earlier comments in rare interviews about Fellini's work. Fellini has a beautiful eye for detail, yet surprisingly the costumes and the choices of lighting, gave the film its' title as the best of Italian cinema. The greatest film ever made in Italy was Fellini's recent masterpiece, La Dolce Vita (1961). However, I found this film more fascinating, as well as entertaining in many aspects. one of those aspects is the fact that it's a movie about a movie. Definitely a favorite!
Score: A+ GREAT!!!
August 23, 2017
There's an organic shifting of perspectives and feeling that happens in the second and third acts that has always struck me. I believe that there's something almost noble about a confident artist totally in control of their medium. That's what Fellini is here; an artist totally in control.

While not my favorite Fellini, this is a work of manic and measured genius that is entertaining, poetic, beautiful, and utterly psychotic in the best way. It's the best that the form has to offer; some of the greatest cinematography, performing, blocking, editing, and creative insight in all of cinema.

Fellini performed a cinematic magic trick with this one. I don't know that there's any other way to adequately explain it; a magic trick.
July 27, 2017
8 1/2 captures its mood perfectly in scenes with Fellini's stand-in floating above traffic or daydreaming about all the women in his life existing to serve him. It is fascinating and funny at times, but also too self-indulgent for my liking. This approach works in 8 1/2, but I've seen it fail too many times in other, inferior projects.
Isaac
July 6, 2017
A startlingly complex, meta-character study replete with innovative storytelling and visual splendor.
½ July 3, 2017
4.3/5

The way 8 1/2 balances fun, feels, significance, and individual artistic merit is nothing but remarkable.
June 16, 2017
Quite an amazing film. Unlike anything I've ever seen. Fellini does an amazing job at blurring the line between reality and dreams. Sometimes I myself feel this way in the modern world, trying to escape the harsh realities through daydreaming and dreams.

But anyways, it was really interesting to see how he took an absolutely different and unorthodox approach to filmmaking. The whole movie was truly a journey and a trip at the same time.
May 31, 2017
Fellini' surreal and unconventional masterpiece that gets into the heart and mind of a filmmaker.
May 28, 2017
8 1/2 shows the greatness of Fellini's cinematic technique in a creative, smart and beautiful production.
May 3, 2017
It's a seminal work of interwoven dreams that is so seamlessly put together the audience often has trouble deciding what is relatity, and what is not. For most movies, this would prove disastrous. But for 8 1/2, it's a factor that is critical in the film's success.
February 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong... this is a great film. But it's the most unenjoyable great film I've ever seen. It just sort of meandered around until the very end, when it finally had something to say. However, by that point, my mind was so fried from boredom that whatever the film wanted to say just didn't register. I think it's called "8 1/2" because that's how many hours the movie seemed to last.
February 24, 2017
8 1/2 is a soaring achievement of filmmaking, possibly the greatest of Federico Fellini's career, and simply one of the most creative, challenging, and comical movies ever made.
February 11, 2017
La vida es una fiesta, vivámosla con Fellini... ¡Qué pinche CHULADA de pelicula!
½ February 8, 2017
Dastardly intelligent as it is purposely bewildering, 8 1/2 might've benefitted from a more concise statement and focus, but then it probably wouldn't be regarded as the classic it is today.
December 25, 2016
With awfully unlikable characters, uninspired acting, bad directing and boring and incredibly frustrating story, 8 1/2 is another Fellini's frustrating movie with repulsive people, bad approach and no story, themes or points present whatsoever. It is a bad film by all means, an excuse to venture into bad habits and hedonism, a boring snoozefest and one of the most overrated films made by the most overrated film director ever.
December 13, 2016
This is simply genius film making - thematically and artistically. Just when I want to critique it on something, it addresses my critique with sharp self-awareness. It's spectacular to behold with memorable scenes and superb shot making. A Big (capital "B") film in all senses of the word.
November 28, 2016
8 1/2 is one of the best movies about film making, within a fantasy that clashes with reality.

Short answer = It's a masterpiece
½ October 16, 2016
A confounding, intellectual and infinitesimally deep film, hugely influential, completely original and absolutely daring. While it does have an air of pretentiousness and narcissism, it wears such pitfalls on its sleeve, making "8 & 1/2" less of a film, and more of an unforgettable cinematic experience. Essential filmmaking.
October 15, 2016
"La Bella Confusione"
½ September 27, 2016
A-
'8 1/2' may be the most nonsensical sequence of events that actually serves up some great body language (and a very offbeat dubbing process) and delivers a testament on what it means to be a director of film.
September 26, 2016
The best italian movie. The best Fellini's dream.