8 Mile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 Mile Reviews

Page 1 of 20067
November 30, 2016
Greatest music related movie that I've ever seen.
½ November 26, 2016
Eminem shows he has a natural talent for acting, delivering a strong performance in this solid underdog story that could have been the first of many for him, and this is a well-written drama despite the linear structure that doesn't really allow for many surprises.
November 3, 2016
extremely overrated movie
October 25, 2016
In a world where people were made to believe that you couldn't be what you want one man took a stand, 8 mile starring Marshall Mathers AKA Eminem, Anthony Mackie, Mekhi Phifer, Brittany Murphy, and Michael Shannon, Shows the hard, true, gritty streets in the city of Detroit. Marshall Mathers in the movie known as "rabbit" has a passion to rap but struggles from stage fright, He doesn't let that stop him. He goes to work everyday hoping to have a "big break". Struggling with his family also he has a lot to worry about his family, beefing with "free world", and inevitably with himself. This movie has an overall good structure presenting itself with different circumstances so the audience never loses interest its action packed yet emotional in the struggle to be the next big thing, On the other hand it's easy to get lost in the characters not knowing what's happening unless you pay attention to every second. I'd Rate this movie 4 out of 5 because the general message or consensus that it's trying to get to the audience ( i'll let you find that one out). Plus the story is captivating and interesting. So kick back put in the movie and enjoy.
October 3, 2016
"8 mile" is a 2002 semi-autobiographical film about the early days of rapper Eminem. The film is directed by Curtis Hanson and written by Scott Silver and Jesse Wigutow, it stars Marshal Mathers (a.k.a Eminem) playing Jimmy "B-Rabbit" Smith, Jr, a fictional version of himself. The plot follows Jimmy (Eminem), a prominent rapper that struggles between his job, his family, and his life in the hip-hop world. The film stars Brittany Murphy as Jimmy's love interest Alex, Kim Basinger as Jimmy's mom, Stephanie, Mekhi Phifer as Jimmy's friend and battle host, who goes by the name of "Future", and Anthony Mackie as Jimmy's rival in the ring, "Papa Doc".

The film's plot works really well, due to the simple fact that is a story worth beeing told, different from other musicians turned actors who tried and turn their life into an unnecessary film, Eminem actually has a story to tell, a story that isn't your usual cliche fest, with the undiscovered star that moves to the big city to turn her/his life around. This is real, it is the struggle of this dude who's had a real life, not an easy one, and he stood and fought to be where he is now. Director Curtis Hanson does his work very well, doing justice to this great story about this great guy.

The movie has a fine cast of actors, leading em' is Eminem, and damn he did a great work. The rapper does fantastically for his first performance in a movie, much like the late reaper 2pac Shakur, Eminem proves to have a natural talent for the big screen, it is a true shame the rapper didn't do any more big screen projects after the"8 mile". Alongside Eminem, playing his love interest Alex, is Britney Murphy doing a great job, like Eminem she is another actress I would've liked to have seen more of (the actress died of pneumonia and anemia in late 2009). The cast of actors all do a fine job in the film, with no miscasts.

The music is another great aspect of the film. The director does not shove the hip-hop soundtrack in our face, we instead get a well-prepared track filled with fine rap music from the early 90s that are well adjusted within the movie. The end credits song "Lose Yourself", a music that Eminem himself composed for the movie, went to win the Oscar for Best Original Song, very well deserved. The song is one of Em's best, with great lyrics that not only relate to the movie but to other real life issues regarding rap. The song is great, and it is yet another great aspect of the overall film.

"8 mile" is a good film that does justice to its source material while providing some unexpected great acting from its lead, along with the supporting cast. All accompanied by a great rap-filled soundtrack. It is a must-see to any hip-hop/Eminem fan out there, as it is to any movie fans. 4/5.
October 1, 2016
Eminem gives a good performance and makes his film debut here as Jimmy B-Rabbit Smith Jr., who wants to start a new life and make it big as a rapper, but it may harder than it originally suggested.

Eminem co-wrote the lyrics to the song 'Lose Yourself' (which plays over the end-credits, and won the Best Original Song Oscar). Brittany Murphy and Kim Basinger offer good support as Jimmy's love interest and mother respectively.

The direction from Curtis Hanson is good throughout as he creates a tense atmosphere in some places, with some moments involving a child which is really not nice for any child to witness, while the script is written to a respectable standard by the director.

Unsurprisingly, this movie was a huge hit at the box office. However, what lets the movie down is that it does get a little bit silly towards the end, and any songs that have bad language in them, really do not suit at all.

Despite this, it is a good movie, but it is not particularly outstanding. But it is Eminem's best film role and it is easy to understand why.
½ September 29, 2016
great movie, great story, great acting, oh and also, it's about rap battles. oh and also, it's about eminem (basically) (about 5 viewings)
September 25, 2016
A wonderful message throughout
September 21, 2016
Never gets old watching this!
½ September 16, 2016
Whether you're an Eminem fan or not, this film is pretty entertaining, with the rapper giving a great performance in the lead role. Unlike many music artists, it seems he can act as he is believable on screen.

He is supported by strong performances by Brittany Murphy, Mekhi Phifer, Kim Basinger and Michael Shannon.
½ September 10, 2016
Having been made only with a familiar script concerning just economic woes and gang violence, 8 Mile proves to have been unprepared to transfer from radio industry to film industry.
September 8, 2016
Wow. Audiences didn't really like this film, huh? I don't see many thing wrong with it. It's not perfect, but I thought vit was good. The story is well-written, the acting is superb, and it really pulls your heartstrings. I love the struggle that Jimmy had to go through. I felt so bad for him. The character himself is also good. Eminem did pretty well for his first time acting. I also like the accurate portrayal of Detroit. This film made me feel even more bad for Eminem. The movie also powerful and very inspirational. I absolutely adore "Lose Yourself". You really get sucked into Jimmy's journey and you really want him to succeed and take his opportunity. The only problem I sort of have is that Jimmy and Alex's relationship felt a bit rushed, but it's not that bad. Powerful and emotional, 8 Mile is a pretty good triumph
August 29, 2016
The unofficial Eminem Biopic. Has good acting,but more of a cash-in to the rapper's success
½ August 9, 2016
Wasn't aware of this movie having such a low rating on this site! It honestly surprised me mostly because I very much enjoyed it and thought the glimpse into the life of residents of a trailer park in Detroit was something seldomly seen in Hollywood. Eminem gives a great performance and the ending never fails to remind why I became a fan of him in the first place.
July 23, 2016
Director, Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential) brings us a lyrically fluent movie, that's very funny, and entertaining. Eminem is fantastic.
July 19, 2016
Great interesting movie with Eminem. I love this movie!
½ July 15, 2016
8 mile is a film based on the beginning of the rap success of Eminem. It goes over the hardships of Marshall Mathers being a different race, his family life, and girl trouble. Eminem gives a very good performance as a character based on himself and the rap battles are very entertaining. Despite the film being mostly dialogue, it is still very entertaining and satisfying to watch.
½ June 22, 2016
Surprisingly good performance by Marshall Mathers in his first film (even though he is essentially playing himself in this biopic). Interesting look into the life of Eminem and how he got his start as a white rapper looking for respect in a primarily black industry. Battle rap performances were definitely the highlight. Kim Basinger as his mother also turns in a strong performance as well.
June 20, 2016
In the movie industry today, it's not uncommon to see a musical artist make his or her attempt at being a part of a film in some way or another. However, it's uncommon to see those films be worthwhile. With 8 Mile, however, we are treated to an emotional, uplifting, and well-acted story that follows a character that parallels Eminem, played by Eminem, and his everyday struggles in the slums of Detroit. The story here is one that is very familiar, and if you've ever watched a sports drama you've seen this in some form or another. So, in a few scenes, the things that happen are predictable. It's a flaw that the film almost can't help, but it's a flaw that can be overlooked thanks to the surprisingly impressive performance by Marshall Mathers (that's Eminem's real name, in case you don't know). Having grown up in the same environment that his character, Jimmy "Rabbit" Smith, suffers through in the film, he is able to deliver a hard-hitting, real performance that draws audiences into his character's difficult life. This is another thing the film does excellently: it provides an authentic, engrossing journey into the lives of the low-class city dwellers, one that is suitably depressing at times. It made me feel sorry for the characters portrayed in the movie, and it made me all the more thankful for the privileges I have in my life. And many aspects of the plot that seemed otherwise unimportant and unnecessary contribute to that atmosphere that the film sets up. The supporting cast in the movie is also strong, even though some performances were more memorable than others (Kim Basinger's was one of the biggest stand-outs). In the end, 8 Mile is a well-done film that provides an emotional journey into the life of a young man who is able to rise out of the shit-hole and achieve greatness. It's memorable, and it's a reminder as to why Eminem and rappers like him are respected in the ways they are.
June 19, 2016
Its got a relatable story and proves that Eminem can act.
Page 1 of 20067