A Hidden Life Reviews

• 2d ago

Imagine 1 hour of plot, stretched into 6 hours by including shots of nature, farming, and untranslated German speaking, and then trimmed to 3 hours by making cuts seemingly at random throughout most scenes.

• 3d ago

More like a slideshow vignette than a "traditional" scene-by-scene film. Visually striking and moving.

• Aug 02, 2020

This emotionally gripping, deeply meditative and absolutely gorgeous film should please Malick fans and will potentially leave them as exhausted as I am after viewing. The opening scene made me so happy, almost to tears, as the shooting style and amazing score blend perfectly to create a totally immersive experience right from the start. Another part of me knew to appreciate these opening scenes at the time, because with Malick's ability to stir my emotions so positively, comes with it the same capability to create equal degrees of feeling with emotions such as anger, sadness and fear. Unfortunately we live in a time, it can seem now more than ever, where many of us, including myself, choose what is socially, financially, politically, or egotisically easiest for us in a given situation without more consideration for what is morally, ethically, and on a human to human level, "right". So as sad and upsetting as scenes in this film were at times, I also found them extremely uplifting and motivating in showcasing the power of the human spirit, even when facing more than many, and I pray any, of us could ever imagine.

• Jul 26, 2020

De excesivo metraje. pero bellamante filmada.

De excesivo metraje. pero bellamante filmada.

• Jul 24, 2020

A film for those slow-paced movie lovers. The film explores the conflict of Franz, a humble man from the countryside. He is debating in the middle of two worlds: the quiet and peaceful life in the Austrian nature with his family, versus the arrival of Adolf Hitler, of the Nazional Socialist ideology. It is surprisingly linear compared to other Malick films, yet even better for my personal taste. A more than good movie to watch. But warning: the viewer has to be aware of the film he/she is about to watch..!

• Jul 12, 2020

Fox Searchlight Pictures and Terrence Malick's A Hidden Life is the best and beautiful feature film I felt so emotional.

• Jun 26, 2020

A film that I assume is dedicated to all those 'hidden' heroes, whose lives and valourous deeds have never been known or heard. Beautifully portrayed and filled with breathtaking shots, it is certainly worth seeing.

• Jun 14, 2020

Writer/director Terrance Malick swings for the fences, trying to make his magnum opus; a perfect film, an epic film large in boyh scale and runtime and largely suceeds in making his best film yet, more mature and nuanced than The Tree Of Life or The Thin Red Line. Certainly the 1917 I was asking for. 9.75/10!

• Jun 06, 2020

Malick is back with another beauty. Franz and Fani Jägerstätter are a couple living as farmers in a mountain area in Austria. It's World War II, but Franz is not up for joining Hitlers forces. He does not share the mentality and he confronts people that support the ideologies. They confront him back and after a while of staying away from duty he is taken in and jailed for his non-cooperation. We see his story and the life of his wife and three little girls. It looks very good and very Malickly. Shots not showing faces, often moving. Great nature and sounds from wind, grass and leaves while soft ambient music is pleasuring your ears. The colors and the slow moving of the camera is nice and for the first time in a while the story is linear. This is the last film from both the late great Bruno Ganz and Michael Nyqvist. Two recent big losses of cinema. There is problems here - major ones. The drama and tension seem absent for long moments. The film itself is way to long and I really find it hard to keep focus on it, wven if I try really hard. It's just too flat, repitative, silent and soft. The beauty and four years of editing does not make up for the presentation - even if the story itself is both interesting, based on true events and something fairly original. Good performances is no shock and you kind of demand that in a Malick flick. Malick has been more prolific the last 10 years - maybe he sould go back to less frequent moviemaking? This is in many ways like his latest films, very slow and truly amazing to look at. This was too long for me. 5 out of 10 scythes.

• May 30, 2020

Nowadays, it´s rare finding a movie endowed with drama and amazing photography that exposes actual repercussions of the Nazi Regime on its country´s society with the capability to expose situations, such as, the limits on the right to individual freedom or even freedom of expression on abolished conscription.