A Separation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Separation Reviews

January 11, 2018
With complex themes beautifully explored, amazing performances across the board and many hard-hitting, powerful scenes, A Separation is also very tightly edited and superbly directed by Asghar Farhadi who is one of the best directors working today. This drama is difficult but also essential to watch fueled by a brilliant script and fantastic dialogue. It is a very complex film which doesn't give us easy answers, but portrays life as it is - messy and complicated. A Separation truly is one of the best films of the entire decade.
January 8, 2018
Finally got around to watching this and it was really worth the wait, my wife got drawn in as well and ended up watching the whole movie as well which is some trick for a subtitled Iranian film to pull off! It just feels so real, it bring to mind travelling in similar countries and the characters and relationships are all believable. This isn't a film where you end up picking sides because everyone's actions and motivations are complicated just like in real life, it's a slice of life. My wife found the ambiguity frustrating but it left me keen to find more from Farhadi, really well made.
November 11, 2017
It's too bad foreign movies don't have the market for American audiences- because they're missing out. A SEPARATION is one of the finest movies about relationships I've seen- a film that was made by someone who really understands human behavior and how to capture it on film. I mean- this movie is something else. It should have won the Best Picture Oscar, although it did win the Best Foreign Film Oscar- very, very well deserved. The level of realism here and the way this movie is realized is quite simply, astounding. Congratulations to a great filmmaker Asghar Farhadi- you have done a fantastic job almost documenting a dissolving relationship.
November 8, 2017
A Separation captures the messiness of a dissolving relationship. Director Asghar Farhadi's potent film with stick with you after the credits. Dense and morally complex, A Separation sets the bar high for future foreign films.
October 21, 2017
Mendekati sempurna. Saking bagusnya sampe emosi campur baur ikut kebawa.
October 14, 2017
10/10.
I barely watch non-English movie, this one "A Separation" is an Iranian film which I kept it on my harddisk over a year without watching. I want to clear disk space so I picked up this one and watch at very late night which I supposed to fell asleep but I didn't because this movie is so brilliant. I would say it's drama mystery investigation mixed with very wise writing, direct and very good acting.

This deserved the Oscar Best Foreign Language Film winner on 2012.
August 28, 2017
A deserved Oscar-winner!
June 26, 2017
Storytelling is as good as it gets.
½ June 17, 2017
4.3/5

A Separation condenses the modern understanding of drama with its talented exhibition of directing, writing and camerawork, all to tell in the most compelling way possible a pretty much classical tale of ambiguity and morality that never ceases to captivate.
May 17, 2017
This movie from Iran is worth watching because it gives an insight to the daily lives and customs of a culture that we don't get exposure to very often. The story captivates and keeps you hooked, despite being in a very foreign setting for most audiences.
May 14, 2017
This film is a masterpiece with simple yet authentic and thoughtful story.
Thanks to Asghar Farhadi, a legendary filmmaker.
April 21, 2017
A masterpiece. Among the best ever. You
March 11, 2017
Asghar Farhadi masterfully crafts a powerfully involving drama, filled with terrific performances and though-provoking themes that will keep the audiences from taking sides or give easy answers.
February 24, 2017
I am so looking forward to THE SALESMAN by this genius
½ February 16, 2017
"A Separation" patut menjadi sebuah contoh untuk film-film Asia. Film ini memberi penekanan pada budaya religius mereka dengan cukup baik, dan dapat diterima oleh setiap pihak untuk kisahnya.
½ February 7, 2017
Everyone around the world deals with the same issues.
January 21, 2017
An Iranian couple agree to move to North America to improve the future prospects for their teenage daughter. They have a visa and it expires soon. But his father suffers from Alzheimer's, and he refuses to leave Iran while his father needs care. She files for divorce and moves in with her mother. He hires a woman to come in while he works and look after his father. This rather simple set up begins a series of clashes and moral quandaries that add up to one of the best films of the last decade. Every character in this story does what they think they have to do, and nothing is done out of malice, but things get increasingly fouled up. It's quite possibly to most humanistic and empathetic film I have ever seen. It appears rather effortless, but it's a masterfully constructed, utterly compelling and convincing film.
December 23, 2016
?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???? ??? ????? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ???? ????? ???? ??? ????? ?? ??? ????? ????? ?? ??. ?????? ?? ??????? ?? ????? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??? ???????? ?? ??? ?????? ???? ???? ???. ????? ??? ????? ??? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ??? ??? ?????? ????? ?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ???? ?? ?????? ??? (??? ?? ??? ?? ???). ???? ??? ???.

At first it was kind of a dull movie with a bit of a slow pace, but it turned out to be much more than that. Lots of emotion shown here, all the actors in this gave a top notch performance. The ending was even satisfying as it left you purposefully wondering what the result of what side the daughter chose(my money is on the father). Good movie.
October 18, 2016
Iran's cinema it's terrific, so I must see this too.
½ October 3, 2016
For the first half hour, this is such a still movie it's almost stagnant. However, once the housekeeper shows up and the "plot" starts, you realize how important those early moments are to show how divorce affects all lives, especially ones so steeped in cultural and religious rules. A separation is a sobering and heartbreaking gut-punch of a drama that beautifully captures how every story has multiple sides.