The Addams Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Addams Family Reviews

September 13, 2017
I'm watching it now seen it many times, and also I have seen the original TV series I love this movie and I'm surprised it only scores 60%, it has cameos from the TV show my dad liked this film also and he grew up watching it I recommend this film highly.
½ August 28, 2017
A timeless family classic.
½ August 22, 2017
While the script is pretty disjointed and problematic, I think this is a faithful, nice-looking adaptation to the classic T.V show. Their creepy and their kooky, mysterious and spooky, and that's how we love this family.
July 18, 2017
Dark and wicked humour, this film plays better with age and is hilarious. This is one that deserves to be rediscovered in an age of dark tv shows like Lemony Snicket are growing popular on Netflix. The characters are unique and are hilariously sharp with biting humour of the era and great casting. The plot is a little thin but you can ignore this issue as it's mostly aimed at the characters, the brothers plot to be precise. The bizarre Addams family are placed firmly within reality so it's this revamp that keeps the storyline from growing old. I have fond memories of this film and Cousin It, is one of the favorite moments of the film. I think this film has grown better with time and deserves a rediscovery, I could imagine watching this film on the big screen if they decided to unleash the vault. 17-07-2017.
June 17, 2017
There are a lot of little smiles in The Addams Family, and many chuckles and grins, but they don't add up to much.
May 31, 2017
To be honest I don't like it
½ May 30, 2017
The casting was so excellent that it's a damned shame it didn't continue longer. Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston in particular have fantastic chemistry. Dan Hedaya does a fantastic weaselly inept crook. It didn't really matter that the plot was a bit thin - the fun of these movies was always seeing both the family interactions with each other, and what happens to 'normal' people who *try* to interact with the family - whether with good intentions or not.
½ May 4, 2017
Altogether ooky! I loved it when I first saw it in the nineties. And while it is starting to show its age, I still think it's an entertaining comedy. (First viewing - Childhood)
jamrcla
April 16, 2017
Average film but a little too silly at times, The film had a good cast though, And the story was fun too.
March 28, 2017
The Addams Family Film manages to bring some love to the TV series, but falls to the predictable nature in Family films
March 20, 2017
Ehh, passable, but not amazing.
½ December 30, 2016
"Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job."

Throughout the 1990s, and even in modern cinema as well, there was a major push to remake or reboot older television shows with different actors. One of the better examples of this type of reboot is the 1991 film The Addams Family. After years of searching and séances, the Addams believe that they have finally found long lost Uncle Fester. However, this could be too good to be true since Uncle Fester could be connected to a plot to remove the Addams from their home and their treasure trove beneath it. This film in many ways continues the original spirit and atmosphere of the tv series while still making a few improvements in the technical aspects of it. From the opening shot the creativity, vastness, attention to detail, dark humor, and gothic elements of the sets, scripts and tone shines through. There is even a scene with a model train set that is engaging and creative through its technical aspects. The dark humor of the film is humorous and does not go too far with it. The actors they got to portray these characters each fit them perfectly and they each look the parts as well. Each member of the family is likable and the love between each member is believable and feels genuine. Each member of the cast, particularly Raúl Juliá as Gomez Addams, is also energetic and always moving. However, the standout of the cast is Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester. He performs it in a way only Lloyd could perform it. He is able to be funny and creepy all at the same time. He is able to be unique in his portrayal since he is weird and he reacts to the strangeness of the Addams' weirdness as well. Lloyd disappears into this character. Despite a few voice changes, his exaggerated words, expressions and voice are each hilarious. However, there are a few problems with the film that are, unfortunately, present in many films of this time period. The computer generated imagery of this film, particularly on Thing, looks fake and is incredibly distracting. The beginning of the film delivers exposition on the story in a boring or non engaging fashion. There is also some dark or awkward humor that does not always work or is not funny because of the delivery or the timing being off. However, the two largest problems are the villains and the beginning of the third act. The villains of the film, while trying to be funny or intimidating, mostly comes across as annoying or awkward. Not much humor comes form these characters and they hinder the film's humor nearly every time they are on screen. Even the villains' plan is extremely boring since they just want money. Without spoiling the ending, the film's story progresses to the generic point of each of the characters moping or being sad without any buildup. These scenes offer no humor and adds nothing to the film. Despite these many flaws and generic elements, The 1991 film version of the Addams Family still has creative or darkly humorous elements and energetic actors giving hilarious performances. I would recommend The Addams Family to fans of the tv series, Christopher Lloyd or Raúl Juliá.
October 31, 2016
I haven't seen this probably since it came out, but it still holds up quite well! The cast especially all really seemed into their roles and having fun!
October 30, 2016
The goofy, gothic fun of the originals is present, but "The Addams Family" is a mediocre offering for those seeking something more wholesome.
October 29, 2016
Very good movie. Definitely worth a watch.
October 21, 2016
The Addams Family is a quirky film with weird characters. There are some laughs and a memorable theme song but not much else.
½ October 19, 2016
It's quite a shame that the good jokes in this movie are too few and far between, and the script, too inconsistent to be the great, nostalgic cinematic experience that I think it was trying to be. The good parts are good enough to prevent this being an absolute turkey, it's just that there are far too few of them.
September 23, 2016
For what it was, it was good. Funny in a not too macabre way.
September 18, 2016
A very well made adaptation of the classic Addams Family tv show. It helps that every actor/actress in this is top notch.