All The King's Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All The King's Men Reviews

½ August 31, 2017
Charismatic Southern politician Willie Stark's (Sean Penn) idealism and good intentions give way to corruption after he becomes governor of Louisiana. Unfortunately for Stark, his right-hand man (Jude Law) retains the same good moral fibre he had when the men both entered the political arena.
July 29, 2017
Huey Long was a fascinating character. A natural born orator with a vision of the White House, he was genuine in his belief in the power of the ordinary people. He railed against vested interests and corruption only to fall prey to it when in power. He made Louisiana into his fiefdom complete with a Praetorian Guard of jackbooted thugs. He polarised opinions. Had he survived he might have split the vote with FDR and let a Republican in.

Pretty much NONE of this makes it into this movie. Our focus should be on Willie Stark, the avatar for Huey Long. Instead the plot continually veers way to a sub-noir plotline featuring Jude Law and his relationship with Kate Winslet. After a rousing start Sean Penn disappears in the second half, with occasional shots of him with a Benny Hill leer at some sleazy clip joint.

Given the political meat that could have been chewed on - corruption, power, populism, paranoia - it's just a pity that the only thing chewed is the scenery.
½ June 26, 2017
With an ensemble cast including the great Sean Penn and Anthony Hopkins plus a great Robert Penn Warren story you'd expect this to be better. Instead it's clunky and full of largely meaningless diversions and flashbacks. Plot lines are never fully developed and the dark and dreary setting is only exacerbated by bad storytelling.
June 9, 2017
Great cast but the story wasn't so interesting,but good performances.
January 4, 2017
This movie desperately wants to be good but unfortunately does not succeed. It was a boring and lost my interest during the first act.
May 11, 2016
A lot of weaknesses but saved by Penn, Gandolfini, and Hopkins.
September 17, 2015
Just a long tedious bore with an over the top(too much so) performance by Penn.
July 27, 2015
What an amzing cast. Too bad they are left to hanging on a slippery rope as they hang themselves. Sean Penn takes the lead, but he is misguided. His performance is way over the top and the film is too unfocused to be very interesting. The original 1949 Oscar winning film is far superior.
June 26, 2015
Terrific film. Absolutely engrossing and persistently powerful in its tale of politics and men, and of deceit and corruption. Penn executes a magnificent performance and is upheld throughout the course of the film by a fierce supporting cast. All The King's Men gives insight within the barricades of corrupt politics and reveals the bounds of passion and morality in the midst of a corrupt cycle.
½ June 21, 2015
So very uninteresting.
January 29, 2015
Politics is a dirty old business. And it feels even dirtier down south. A fantastic cast, everyone well suited to their roles, but I just didn't grab me. WAS interesting to see James Gandolfini in a different, and not starring, role.
January 12, 2015
I'd rather see the original.
January 12, 2015
I'd rather see the original.
November 3, 2014
One of the greatest movies i've ever seen .. The one that shapes the world surrounds you after you finish
September 29, 2014
This film was POETIC GENIUS. i have never seen a better preformance. U ALL ARE SEAN PENN HATERS. HAAAAATTTTERRRRRRRS
½ August 24, 2014
Its Oscar buzz was thwarted by the undeserving negative ratings. Sure it was slowly paced and a bit disappointment a little among its cast, it was very well performed especially how energetic Penn was in this political drama. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
August 15, 2014
I remember somewhat liking this, although I don't really feel compelled to watch it again.
June 17, 2014
a good cast cannot make this dragging movie interesting. The one time I have not liked pennā??s acting
½ March 31, 2014
Not as awful as its reputation may suggest, Zallian's 'Men' feels very split. It's photographed and scored beautifully, and despite accents, the cast are predictably effective. However, its narrative seems meandering and unfocused. Drifting between political insight and a personal story of manipulation and corruption is not handled very smoothly.
March 22, 2014
Different/Dull/ Just OK/Didn't Really Like..