All The King's Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All The King's Men Reviews

May 11, 2016
A lot of weaknesses but saved by Penn, Gandolfini, and Hopkins.
September 17, 2015
Just a long tedious bore with an over the top(too much so) performance by Penn.
July 27, 2015
What an amzing cast. Too bad they are left to hanging on a slippery rope as they hang themselves. Sean Penn takes the lead, but he is misguided. His performance is way over the top and the film is too unfocused to be very interesting. The original 1949 Oscar winning film is far superior.
June 26, 2015
Terrific film. Absolutely engrossing and persistently powerful in its tale of politics and men, and of deceit and corruption. Penn executes a magnificent performance and is upheld throughout the course of the film by a fierce supporting cast. All The King's Men gives insight within the barricades of corrupt politics and reveals the bounds of passion and morality in the midst of a corrupt cycle.
½ June 21, 2015
So very uninteresting.
January 29, 2015
Politics is a dirty old business. And it feels even dirtier down south. A fantastic cast, everyone well suited to their roles, but I just didn't grab me. WAS interesting to see James Gandolfini in a different, and not starring, role.
January 12, 2015
I'd rather see the original.
January 12, 2015
I'd rather see the original.
November 3, 2014
One of the greatest movies i've ever seen .. The one that shapes the world surrounds you after you finish
September 29, 2014
This film was POETIC GENIUS. i have never seen a better preformance. U ALL ARE SEAN PENN HATERS. HAAAAATTTTERRRRRRRS
½ August 24, 2014
Its Oscar buzz was thwarted by the undeserving negative ratings. Sure it was slowly paced and a bit disappointment a little among its cast, it was very well performed especially how energetic Penn was in this political drama. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
August 15, 2014
I remember somewhat liking this, although I don't really feel compelled to watch it again.
June 17, 2014
a good cast cannot make this dragging movie interesting. The one time I have not liked pennā??s acting
½ March 31, 2014
Not as awful as its reputation may suggest, Zallian's 'Men' feels very split. It's photographed and scored beautifully, and despite accents, the cast are predictably effective. However, its narrative seems meandering and unfocused. Drifting between political insight and a personal story of manipulation and corruption is not handled very smoothly.
March 22, 2014
Different/Dull/ Just OK/Didn't Really Like..
½ March 17, 2014
This film aims to be an epic, but ends up epic-ly miscast. Sean Penn is too angry to play Huey Long. He gets the accent right (surprisingly) but misses the charm. James Galdofini as Tiny Duffy? Ugh. Duffy was supposed to be a sycophantic lick-spittle. It just does not work. Jude Law as Jack Burden? Sean Penn should have taken the Burden role. Jude Law is way too pretty and not cynical enough. Both female leads were also woefully miscast. Plus .. Mark Ruffalo as Adam Stanton? WTH?
December 29, 2013
Brilliantly acted, political drama that sadly falls short of its promise.
½ December 24, 2013
Very good remake but the original is better in my opinion. Both films are great for teaching students about corruption and fraud in politics, and the tendency of even well-intended politicians to become corrupted by power.
November 18, 2013
Forgot how much I love this movie. I guess it's my love of history especially southern history. Sean Penn is excellent.
November 17, 2013
the actual story of huey long is much more fascinating.