Reviews

• Sep 13, 2021

Such a weird movie, and somehow entertaining. It's good some good humor, but does seem to lack seriousness.

• Sep 07, 2021

Hugely entertaining play adaptation which avoids the pitfalls of filming plays. Vibrant throughout with its energy and humour. Stand-outs from F. Murray Abraham and Hulce. Worth seeing even if you saw the play on stage. Even at this length it doesn't really drag. Shows what Forman is capable of in bringing it all together and sustaining it.

• Sep 01, 2021

A great movie by actor re-inacting the life of Amadeus (Thanks Tom)!!!!!

A great movie by actor re-inacting the life of Amadeus (Thanks Tom)!!!!!

• Aug 21, 2021

They just don't make movies like "Amadeus" today. This tale of jealousy is brilliant and I believe it is worth the 2.5 hour run time, but if you have attention problems, this one may not be for you. I have only seen the Director's Cut, so I don't know if they changed much from the original. I give it a B, next time you're in the mood for a movie, this one won't disappoint.

• Jul 22, 2021

Young people need to watch this and more 70s/80s films. It's such a blast and over the top beautiful to look at. Let yourself go down the rabbit hole and enjoy this look into the past.

• Jun 28, 2021

My high school jazz choir usually performed songs like "Dr. Jazz!" while we shimmied, then one year our choir teacher decided to use us as an instrument for his depression, and we performed Mozart's Requiem in its entirety with a small orchestra. Imagine that crowd of parents, ready to hear the latest pop jazz shredded by their untalented kids and instead serenaded by Mozart's epic funereal masterpiece. I still hum "Lacrimosa" in life where I should've been humming "The Girl from Ipanema." Tom Hulce gives an over-the-top manic Mozart performance in this--it's worth a watch. And this film is much more of a party than a bunch of teens in sequins performing a Requiem as their maestro weeps.

• May 01, 2021

Milos Forman's Amadeus is about so much more than the genius of Wolfgang Mozart's music. Many may be tempted to shy away from a film that involves classical music, powdered wigs, opera, alcoholism and madness, but his would be a huge mistake as Amadeus is tremendously entertaining and endlessly intriguing. The film tells the story of Mozart (Tom Hulce) from the perspective of the elderly Antonio Salieri (F. Murray Abraham), a bitter man and mediocre composer obsessed by and jealous of Mozart's brilliance. The sets and costumes are fantastic, the script if witty and touching, the cinematography is beautiful, and the performances of Hulce and Abraham are top-notch. The only downside might be the wooden performance of Elizabeth Berridge, who manages to suck the energy from every scene she's in, as Mozart's wife. Otherwise, Amadeus is a close to perfect film.

• Apr 29, 2021

I believe I have seen this movie five or six times and it's still a joy.

I believe I have seen this movie five or six times and it's still a joy.

• Apr 28, 2021

En clase de musica, mi favorito es salieri

En clase de musica, mi favorito es salieri

• Apr 24, 2021

Many films have been made about music, perhaps because every director has interacted with a composer at one time or another, but even among this fairly stiff competition, Amadeus stands out. The film uses its (largely fictitious) retelling of the titular composer's life, complete with orchestral performances of many of his greatest symphonies, to examine a subject most of us can identify with - the envy and frustration of having to work hard at something and still fall short of a person with a natural gift. The excellent script is bolstered by virtuoso performances by the makeup, costuming, and set decorating departments, who portray the decadence of the 18th-century nobility with an elegance I have only seen before in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. The only reason I don't give this movie a perfect score is that neither the theatrical nor the director's cut find a happy balance between giving the audience sufficient context and not appearing self-indulgent by including unnecessary scenes.