An American Tail Reviews

• Aug 30, 2019

An American Tail might be too depressing for some kids but its beautiful animation, Don Bluth's direction, the good voice acting, songs that honestly aren't that bad, the memorable characters and the social commentary make anyone who agrees with Bluth's philosophy (Children can handle just about anything as long as you give them a happy ending) want to stick with our poor, POOR hero for the whole tearjerking journey.

• Jul 24, 2019

A brave parable about immigration and anti-Semitism. Don Bluth's animated immigration parable An American Tail (1986) is timeless. It's adorable by design and dark in its undertones. It teaches immigrants and children alike to never give up, be yourself, be brave, and stand up against tyranny. Bluth's narrative takes on pogroms, racism, xenophobia, anti-semitism, corruption, and poverty. By using mice and cats, Bluth bravely creates social commentary that even kids can follow. An American Tail feels just a relevant as when it first released. An American Tail is all about the greatness that is American immigration as the mice are given life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They exercise their right to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to petition, right to vote, freedom of religion, and the freedom from tyranny. Bluth's animated classic is so righteous and moral that it is educational and entertaining. You follow Feivel Mousekewitz from Russia to Germany, then to America all in a quick 80 minute run-time journey. The hand drawn animation is smooth and the motion is fluid appearing natural. The muted color palette represents the grim, dark America Feivel must traverse. James Horner's score is soft and dreamy. He captures the magical euphoria of coming to America and The American Dream's potential. However, Horner also composed for the scary and bleak nihilism of immigrants having a terrible time of adapting to the harsh American reality. Horner was a gifted composer and An American Tail is as lovely as his finest works. Finally, the voice cast that Don Bluth picked is exquisite in caliber. Phillip Glasser's voice for the main mouse Feivel Mousekewitz is cute and squeaky enough to be that of a child's. Amy Green sounds sweet as Feivel's sister mouse Tanya Mousekewitz. Nehemiah Persoff is so endearing, gentle, and expressive as Papa Mousekewitz. Christopher Plummer voices a French pigeon constructing The Statue of Liberty with a suave and friendly presence. Dom DeLuise is fun and exciting as the bombastic and friendly cat Tiger. Madeline Kahn is hilarious as the pompously rich lady mouse Gussie Mausheimer. Pat Musick pulls off a tough guy Brooklyn accent as Tony Toponi. Neil Ross' boisterous and sleazy voice fits Honest John perfectly. Lastly, Cathianne Blore is dreamy and earnest with her delightful Irish accent as Bridget. In all, An American Tail is a mature animated feature that will delight families everywhere, while teaching them valuable lessons.

• May 06, 2019

Nice is all I have to say

Nice is all I have to say

• Apr 10, 2019

This is now around the 7th time I've seen An American tail and I can say that it was even better then I remembered. An American tail is an animated film directed by Don Bluth. The film stars Philip Glasser as Fievel Mousekewitz and Dom DeLuise as Tiger. The voice acting fit very nicely with the characters, especially Dom DeLuise as Tiger, I felt that he gave a very likeable and charming performance. The characters I also personally found to be really enjoyable and memorable, especially Fievel Mousekewitz and Tiger. The film also had some strong cinematography, with some very beautiful and grand shots of the characters and scenery. The animation was really vibrant and detailed, especially with Tiger and the Mousekewitz family. The style of the film I personally really like from the colour scheme to the character design. The only way how I would describe the soundtrack for this film would be to say that it's basically a golden Disney Renaissance soundtrack. The story I found to be really gripping and intriguing, especially once you hit the second act of the film. The film also had some very good and well written comedy, especially with the character Tiger. The film was also very intense and emotional, especially with Fievel and his family in the first act. The film I also found to be incredibly enjoyable and gripping, and I can't wait to watch it again. Over all I give it a 9/10 - would definitely recommend

• Mar 30, 2019

An American Tail: Pros: - Great Voice Acting - Good Directing - Beautiful Animation - Magnificent Cinematography - Passable Editing - Great Music/Songs - Brilliant Pacing - Heartwarming story that also manages to be very dark at certain points as well Cons: - Standard Plot - Conventional Screenplay Overall Grade: B+ (8/10)

• Jan 28, 2019

This movie is dark. The overall storyline of an immigrant family fleeing turmoil in Russia and going to America with the promise of prosperity and no cats with the added bonus of losing a child on the boat ride across the Atlantic Ocean, this can be a relatable story for many people from Eastern Europe at the time of the movie (1885). By making the main characters mice and allowing for them to be hunted by a seemingly unstoppable barrage of cats, the filmmakers add extreme stakes and allow for sympathy for all those involved. This movie revolves around the Mousewicz family, especially the young son Fievel. When he is separated from his family due to his curiosity on the boat trip to America, he embarks on a rough and tough adventure through New York City to find his family. He meets friends and foes alike, Tiger (a very large tabby cat that has empathy for mice), Henri (a French pigeon living in the Statue of Liberty), Tony and Bridget ( lovers that befriend Fievel and really help him find his family), Honest John (the constantly soused mayor of the mice community), Gussie Mausheimer (the rich debutante willing to put class and status aside to rid the city of cats) and Warren T Rat (a cat dressed as a rat in order to reap the rewards of exploiting the mice and rat community). The climax of the film, before the inevitable heartwarming reunion, sees Fievel utilize a story his father always told him and his sister about a gigantic mouse in Ukraine to rid the mice of New York of several cats (sending them to Hong Kong seemingly to be eaten). This is an amazing animated film about immigration, family and hope. Definitely recommend this film, especially for families that once emigrated from Eastern Europe.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best animated movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Somewhere Out There!

• Dec 16, 2018

While it's hard to separate my feelings about this film now from what I had when I was a kid, this is still a moving and uplifting animated kids movie about immigration and persecution from tiny eyes, seemingly held back by somewhat dated animation.

• Aug 28, 2018

Worth reshowing all kids, over these violent robot shows of today.

Worth reshowing all kids, over these violent robot shows of today.

• Jul 04, 2018

When I was a kid, An American Tail was my favourite Don Bluth film. Since I've got the VHS of it years ago and now I gone of it and 11 years ago I've come across a website called YouTube where you can videos from it and no I didn't watch it on it. I've watched it a few years later. I was watching one of the Donald Duck cartoons. But now I watched it and remember everything about it, it still grown on me. It tells the story of Fievel Mousekewitz and his family as they emigrate from the Imperial Russian territory of Ukraine to the United States for freedom. However, he gets lost and must find a way to reunite with them. Yeah, I remember it being cute at the time and I find all the characters cute like Fievel. He's the only one who has to find his family and not get eaten by cats. I remember all the characters. In fact I do remember that Tiger played by Dom DeLuise who didn't get enough screen time. He was there being friends with Fievel and then Fievel escapes from the cats. Tiger hates killing mice, he likes them. The animation is the same and you can tell it's Don Bluth. The music is great and it's composed by James Horner who composes many films in the generation such as 48 Hrs., Commando, Aliens, The Land Before Time which is a Don Bluth film, Braveheart and Titanic. I listen to the soundtrack everytime I'm in a mood. The songs are catchy and everytime a song comes on they'll always come in your head like "There Are No Cats in America", "Never Say Never", "Somewhere Out There" and "A Duo". To me I love the song "Somewhere Out There" that Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram sings. The song is so beautiful I can't believe what I just witnessed. I love the music, I love the tune from it and I prefer this song than the one Fievel and Tanya sings. Hell, I even remember that song which somebody or two sung in Britain's Got Talent and that's really something. The ending is so beautiful you knew that Fievel has found his family and being reunited and it always gets you in the way that will make you cry and happy at the same time. Okay so that's took care of An American Tail and it's been awhile since years back. I know that alot of people that don't really like this movie but when it comes The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail will always get you in the token of appreciation.