Battlefield Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battlefield Earth Reviews

½ April 14, 2018
As time goes by, I find my fondness for Battlefield Earth growing. Don't get me wrong, it's really fucking bad in virtually every department (I do like the music, though), but it's badness is a thing of beauty, of unintentional comedy joy, and unintentional surrealism and absurdity. I've watched this film multiple times over the years, even inflicting it on friends and family who are willing enough to sit through it. The plot holes are big enough to create another ring around Saturn (How are jet fighters still flyable after 1,000 years? How can cavemen learn to fly said jet fighters in like, two weeks?), the acting is legendarily bad (John Travolta as Terl is the equivalent of an overwrought, badly directed Shakespearean role), the special effects are awful/fascinating in a fever dream kind of way, it shamelessly rips off other sci-fi films and franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, Blade Runner, etc), and every moment of watching it is awe-inspiring in its ineptitude. Then again, should I expect differently from a film John Travolta pitched as, "It's Star Wars meets Pulp Fiction, but better" and the fact that the novel it's based on was written by the founder of Scientology? It's a glorious, legendary, hilariously awful mess of a film that will be forever mocked. And because of all these facts, I will treasure this film, enjoy it, and watch it many more times over the years. Unless you have a strong stomach for garbage, I don't recommend it. But, if you're a die hard B-movie watcher, this is a film you cannot miss.
½ April 7, 2018
Scientology at its best, which is the worst.
½ April 3, 2018
I could say it's the hole in a doughnut. Cheesy dialogue, over/underacted, nonsensical plot, unconvincing production design and makeup, and a total mess in direction (as if 5 directors sat in a chair and tried to outrank each other).
½ April 2, 2018
I actually enjoyed it. The bad acting to me was pure comedy and gold.
April 2, 2018
Finally saw Battlefield Earth, THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!
March 28, 2018
Just incredibly awful to the point that it's just sad to watch. It's incoherent storyline is just made worse with it's laughable effects and hammed-up performances. It's only worth it to watch if you get satisfaction from torturing yourself with the worst films ever and trust me if that's the case this film will deliver the goods.
½ March 9, 2018
I liked this movie as kid, and I like it now. Rat-brain critics!
February 15, 2018
I'm giving this the maximum rating because it's stupid fun. I don't know what it is about this movie, but I think this movie might be The Room of bad movies for me. In fact, I like this movie better than The Room. It's fun. It's silly. It doesn't take itself seriously. Why do I consider this movie as a guilty pleasure? I don't know. I honestly don't know.
December 3, 2017
John Travolta is at his very best in his very own Sci Fi masterpiece.
December 2, 2017
might be the greatest movie of all time
November 30, 2017
John Travolta is such a great actor, i liked him in everything... (Starts crying)
November 22, 2017
I am dismayed at the lack of a good Audience Score for this movie. It is maybe the best "So bad it's good" movies ever made. This is a great movie to watch with friends. You can make it into a drinking game or just sit back and enjoy the nonstop laughs. This is a wildly entertaining movie.
November 2, 2017
Zero stars. I mean, seriously, Terl? Jonnie Goodboy!? Psychlo!? These names are fetish! Also, the aliens look, I don't know, nothing like aliens! The camera shots are always slanted and every frickin' transition is wide angle! God, the storyline makes no scents! This is one of my least favorite movies of all.
½ October 21, 2017
Look at all these filthy man-animals giving this film a low rating.
½ October 15, 2017
If you think of this one as a serious sci-fi movie, you won't like it. I consider it a comedy and as such have watched it more than once.
½ October 13, 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever seen and I like Batman And Robin. The dutch angles are just awful and it looks like the movie is sinking. John Travolta is just terrible with his over acting. I've only seen this movie once and I'll never watch it again.
September 21, 2017
Top 10: Worst Films

1. Battlefield Earth (2000)

2. Freddy Got Fingered (2001)

3. North (1994)

4. Showgirls (1995)

5. Howard The Duck (1986)

6. Leonard Part 6 (1987)

7. Bio-Dome (1996)

8. Jack And Jill (2011)

9. Movie 43 (2013)

10. Disaster Movie (2008)
½ September 17, 2017
This pile of garbage makes Batman and Robin look like an Oscar contender and I hate Batman and Robin. If I could I would rate this laughable crap a zero.
½ August 27, 2017
The acting was so bad, especially by John Travolta, We barely made it to the end of the movie, and only because we were enjoying the laugh . But really, if you want a better laugh, watch one of the old Japanese Godzilla movies where the lip sync is off by a second or two.
½ August 18, 2017
Arguably the worst movie of all time, Battlefield Earth has it all - bad acting, bad CGI, bad directing, bad dialogue, and so on. The closest thing we get to a good performance comes from John Travolta, who seems to be in a completely different movie, and honestly I'd pay money to see THAT movie. There are a few moments of unintentional hilarity, but not nearly enough to justify watching this movie. Ok, to be fair, you should watch this movie once and only once, just so that after that, every time you see a movie you think might be bad, you can say "I've seen worse." If you're over 21, play the Battlefield Earth Dutch Angle Drinking Game (look it up). On second thought, don't do that. You'd die of alcohol poisoning halfway through this flaming turd.