Before Sunrise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Sunrise Reviews

½ February 17, 2017
A fun watch but not as good as its sequel. Writing was good but some parts were a little over the top, a little forced. Linklater evolved as a director in the 9 years to Sunset, and I missed that maturity in the original classic. I missed the long takes, the simplicity, the subtlety. There was a great moment in the listening booth at the music store, and of course, great dialogues and chemistry, but it felt like everything had been written in and nothing left for the audience to explore. Aren't films supposed to do that though? To give you something to think about? Self-reflect? Or I don't know, maybe I'm just not that cheesy.
February 10, 2017
Before Sunrise is a great take on modern love with the realistic tone of people meeting each other where you eventually fall in love with the characters
February 10, 2017
Truly engaging dialogue and shockingly palpable romantic chemistry between its leads makes this stand out as one of the best of its kind.
February 7, 2017
If you like romance films, you have to see this one - and the more recent sequel, "Before Sunset". In 1995 Jesse and Celine, two 20-something strangers, meet on a train in Vienna and very quickly build a strong connection through various conversations during the course of one night. Very much dialogue driven, with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy carrying the entire film.
January 26, 2017
A lovestory, sure. An intelligent lovestory, yes. Cliches? No. Poetic and non-rushing, its a dance of sensuality.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.3/10 - 4.5/5
November 30, 2016
The movie captures the connection between two strangers who meet by chance. The moment feels so real, so human. The stolen glances, the gentle touch, the getting-into-each-other's-minds. It shows what a relationship could be. It's bittersweet and terribly romantic.
November 9, 2016
Romantic excellence with one of the most natural acting chemistry to be ever put on film
October 8, 2016
I love a good romance, but she should have stayed on the train. Film should be called "My insipid day in Vienna with an American clod." I wish they had gone to the play so I could have seen the cow smoking with his hooves. The only slightly interesting scene was in the cafe, catching snippets of other people's conversations.
½ October 8, 2016
It was okay for the first half an hour but I thought the talking was never gonna stop.
September 22, 2016
Before Sunrise is the independent romance film directed by Richard Linklater, and starring Ethan Hawke as Jesse and Julie Delpy as Celine. Being as I was born in the late 90's and did not get into movies until I was 13 or so, I was not aware of this movie until very recently. And I'm glad I did not watch it until now. This is a very unique, dialogue driven movie, that has no real story or plot, but is just a long string of conversations. And I am afraid that it I had seen this movie any earlier than I did, I would not have appreciated it. But since I saw it when I did, I do appreciate it. In fact I think it is a romantic masterpiece of a film.
Before Sunrise follows Jesse and Celine, two people in their early twenties, who meet on a train and decide to spend the rest of the day together in Vienna. Jesse has a flight back to America in the morning, and Celine has to catch a train to Paris the next day. With only one night together, these two people walk around Vienna and just talk and get to know each other. They discuss love, life, hopes, dreams, fears, time, sex, and everything in between those. And the greatest praise that I can give this film is that it is real. You as a viewer never doubt for a moment that these two people actually have a connection and are somehow infatuated with each other.
The realistic nature of this movie is based on three key things: Acting, writing, and directing, all of which are some of the best of all time. Hawke and Delpy have to carry this movie on their own, and they do it better than I had ever hoped. They seem so real and in tune with these characters that they disappear into their roles completely. They are both perfect. The writing by Linklater is painfully honest and so beautiful that it becomes so recognizable to conversations that you have had before. It is genius writing in every sense of the word. By far one of the most honest and beautiful scripts ever. And the directing is something to behold. I will not say anymore than this: Long Takes. They are great.
All in all, Before Sunrise is a romantic masterpiece in every sense of the world. I loved this movie, every second of it, and it is one of my favorite romance films.

10/10
September 10, 2016
Thoughtful, smart, touching, poignant, beautiful, funny, existential, tragic, complex, hopeful, raw, insightful, romantic, realistic, and flawless. Gorgeously shot and boasting one of the best scripts of the 90s that examines both the mysterious, instantaneous simplicity of attraction and the deep, multifaceted philosophical aspects of human nature, love, and the meaning of life. Before Sunrise masterfully portrays human connection as both a fleeting, superficial escape and the ultimate purpose of one's existence, all while forcing us to recall our past and ponder our future regarding those whom we've loved and seek to love.
½ September 10, 2016
Um filme cheio de conteúdo, fantásticas representações. O melhor que já vi do género
August 19, 2016
Really, really nice.
½ July 7, 2016
One of those movies whose constituent parts and tonal simplicity seem to promise so little, substantially similar to Linklater's recent masterpiece Boyhood and yet the work of a much younger man. Cynics and the twist-addicted should avoid like the plague this lengthy conversation piece with only occasional voices other than Delpy and Hawke, who paint an incredibly real picture of strangers who become soulmates in the course of a single night in Vienna. The city authorities should have paid the director a significant retainer for the four dimensional love letter he paints to its winding streets, tasteful eateries and ferris wheels. The city hasn't looked this good since Carol Reed's The Third Man. A tiny, honest wonder that will stay with anyone in possession of a heart and a sense of melodrama.
June 25, 2016
I give this an A+/100.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 16, 2016
Works from the palpable chemistry and simple but elegant premise.