Before Sunrise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Sunrise Reviews

½ July 7, 2016
One of those movies whose constituent parts and tonal simplicity seem to promise so little, substantially similar to Linklater's recent masterpiece Boyhood and yet the work of a much younger man. Cynics and the twist-addicted should avoid like the plague this lengthy conversation piece with only occasional voices other than Delpy and Hawke, who paint an incredibly real picture of strangers who become soulmates in the course of a single night in Vienna. The city authorities should have paid the director a significant retainer for the four dimensional love letter he paints to its winding streets, tasteful eateries and ferris wheels. The city hasn't looked this good since Carol Reed's The Third Man. A tiny, honest wonder that will stay with anyone in possession of a heart and a sense of melodrama.
June 25, 2016
I give this an A+/100.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 16, 2016
Works from the palpable chemistry and simple but elegant premise.
June 14, 2016
I'm just impressed with the beauty of this movie. It feels like two regular people talking rather than actors playing a part. I'm just so in love with how these people are falling in love and the deeper meaning of romance. It's a definitely a must watch -- Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy look as if they're actually falling for each other.
June 11, 2016
So simple, so natural (if not a little too snappy), so real, Yet totally out of this world romantic.
½ June 3, 2016
An affecting and sweet love story that manages to avoid Hollywood clichés due to Richard Linklater's clever and original script, deft direction and the mesmerizing chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.
May 9, 2016
An absolutely beautiful film wonderfully filmed. Always a joy to watch Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delphey) walking and talking. A perfect example of chemistry. A perfect Romantic movie.
½ May 4, 2016
I think this was the best of the trilogy. It was sweet-natured and the conversations the couple had throughout the film kept my interest.
½ May 2, 2016
This is absolutely the most honest, non-Hollywood romance I've ever seen. It changed my thoughts on what a romance (movie) could be. Jesse and Celine have long discussions about their history, family, values, love, religion, what they've learned from their experiences and how they've shaped them as individuals. They each hold to different truths, but as the night goes on, they help the other see things a little differently. This was just a beautiful experience. 9/10.
April 30, 2016
This movie is the epidemy of real life and reminds me of a story that could be written by Haruki Murakami. The realism and simplicity is what makes it so great. Romantic but readable. Awkward but relatable. Entertaining but slightly cringy.

Full of awkward conversations and meaningless moments. Many situations where tipping or giving money is mandatory, but the lack of intention along with the obligation just makes it feel true. The awkward sexual tension that's discussed twenty times throughout the day, and is as far from perfect as possible.

This film did absolutely everything right.
April 29, 2016
An artistically romantic tour of Vienna accompanied by Richard Linklater's signature philosophical thoughtfulness.
½ April 28, 2016
Very heavily scripted, but cleverly so.
April 28, 2016
Brilliant romantic movie ð??¥, i dont know how i missed rating it â??
½ March 2, 2016
A very well-acted, smartly written, thought provoking, optimistic romance film . written and directed by the genius himself Richard Linklater
February 7, 2016
Perhaps it is as great as romance as everyone makes it seem, but not in my opinion.
½ January 22, 2016
This was one of the most superficial movies i''ve ever seen, and it caused me the whole time huge amount of laughter. so,at least there is something that i should be feeling thankful about in that shit.
and, one more time,it is proved that the masses lack of intelligence and cricital thoughts.
PS: haven't u guys ever seen a decent movie?
½ January 19, 2016
Probably the most realistic-feeling love story I've seen.