Before Sunrise Reviews

• May 11, 2019

Amazing. 100% Rotten Tomatoes is rare.

Amazing. 100% Rotten Tomatoes is rare.

• May 08, 2019

I'd have given this movie a thousand stars if I could have, stars? I'd have given it the whole universe! I have a hard time returning back to my normal life with many great movies that I watch, but when it comes to this one? I already start to view my life immersed in euphoria.<3

• May 06, 2019

It's very hard to find romantic films that are about people falling in love with one another because they enjoy spending time together and find one another interesting but Before Sunrise manages this. I love this film unabashedly and try to convince all of my friends to watch it and fall in love with Jesse and Celine as much as I have. The entire notion of the film is whimsical and romantic and the melancholy ending caps off a near-perfect film that is written better than most of the films I have seen. The dialogue is intelligent and witty and exactly how you would want to sound when you meet a person you really like. It's a fantasy of sorts but it's not so far out of reach that you don't believe that you yourself could attain the type of love that the two leads of this film have found. The plot is really very simple, Jesse, Ethan Hawke, is an American student traveling through Europe on a train who meets a young Frenchwoman Celine, Julie Delpy, and feels an instant connection with her. The two get off the train in Vienna together and spend the day and night wandering around the beautiful landmarks of the city and fall in love while discussing life, philosophy and the nature of romance. The next day the two must part but they have made indelible marks upon one another's lives. The film is about the warm glow and instant connection of young love and the attraction between the two is clear from the moment they lock eyes on the train. They can talk endlessly about the hypotheticals they have made up in their minds about reincarnation but attempt to avoid getting too personal, but fail, for fear of missing each other too much when they are forced to part. Their interest in one another as they stare a little too long at each other's face and appear utterly engrossed in the minor details of the other's lives which they would have no time for when talking to someone they weren't attracted to is sweet. I want to experience this sort of love, all-consuming infatuation with someone who is equally infatuated with you and maybe I would also like to be a glamorous Parisian Sorbonne student with the looks of Julie Delpy. The dialogue really sells their connection because they don't just talk about being attracted to another and love they cover lots of other topics that establish their personal philosophies and show how aligned they are. When they finally admit their attraction to one another during the very cute â~phone call' scene we understand why they are physically attracted to one another, they're both beautiful, but their personal attraction also makes sense because we have spent time with them as they deepen their connection. Jesse's story about seeing his grandmother's ghost and Celine's emotional reaction is the sort of moment that only people with a real emotional connection can have and it's lovely hearing dialogue that is both clearly well structured, heavily edited and contrived but on screen feels magically natural and realistic. The actors also manage to make us believe in this somewhat unbelievable romance as they have a wonderful chemistry and deliver their lines naturally while also looking impossibly photogenic. Hawke is a great actor as displayed in 2017's First Reformed but he plays a very different character, a â~cynic' about romance who becomes enamored of Celine and is a complete convert by the end of the film. I have not liked Delpy as an actress in other films but here, where she essentially plays herself, she is the fantasy girl that most girls would want to be like and most guys would want to be with. The dialogue adds dimension to her character though and Delpy delivers her lines in that delightful French accent with a touch of sarcasm that rounds out the character. I could not imagine any other actors filling these roles and I fell in love with these two characters in large part because of the lovely presences of Hawke and Delpy. Linklater directs with skill as a film that doesn't feature anything particularly dramatic maintains it's dreamy, romantic tone throughout and never feels as though it's stretching on for too long or like it lacks substance. He captures their surroundings beautifully and has paced the film perfectly allowing us to bathe in the warm glow of young love without getting toothache from how sweet they are.

• Apr 03, 2019

Rewatch. Dang, this is a classic. Five stars except for Hawke's goatee.

Rewatch. Dang, this is a classic. Five stars except for Hawke's goatee.

• Feb 27, 2019

Ethan and Julie hold this film down - it's an real-time kind of look at a first chance encounter and chance at love. The cliffhanger ending is great - BUT, i don't see it being anything incredibly epic in film.

• Jan 31, 2019

The acting, directing, writing, cinematography, it's all so beautiful and so real, one of the best films ever made.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jan 02, 2019

At it's core, Before Sunrise is about connecting through conversation and the possibilities it brings for both love and discovering oneself; a theme that speaks both to the beauty of a time when such simplicity was of value and warns of a time (current) where weaker substitutes inadvertently lessen the meaning of what they're meant to augment.

• Dec 02, 2018

Sweet and romantic. Even though the plot is not progressing and it is a simple movie, the conversations and chemistry between the characters make the film one of a kind and absolutely adorable.

• Nov 29, 2018