The Beguiled Reviews

• Jul 15, 2019

Watched the original after seeing the remake by Sophia Coppola earlier. The motivations and characters hung together more logically in the remake; in this one, he was going after everyone, including kissing s 12 year old, yuck. It did surprise me to see some of the erotic content in a movie made in its decade. I definitely sensed it was a Poor execution of an attempt to broaden Clint Eastwood's persona, from simply a Western Star.

• Dec 01, 2018

Perhaps the most underrated of all Eastwood films. This movie was very interesting. The directing was good in choosing interesting angles and montages (I like the scene best when the headmaster dreams about having sex with Eastwood and that other woman and sees herself with Eastwood in the picture next to her bed), the music was very atmospheric and the acting and editing was superb. The storyline was very interesting, and the setting reminded me a little bit of Picnic at Hanging Rock. A very good movie, clearly underrated by any stretch.(Repressed sexuality and a war-torn Clint).

• Nov 28, 2018

• Aug 13, 2018

The third collaboration between director Don Siegel and star Clint Eastwood (released the same year as the landmark Dirty Harry, easily their best work together). Clint plays a wounded Yankee soldier rescued by the men-starved attendees of a girl's boarding school surrounded by the turmoil of the Civil War. After coming to, he soon makes the most of being the only man about the house. Siegel's unorthodox historical drama has an unapologetic sexual edginess and an air of sustained tension throughout.

• Apr 28, 2018

clint eastwood hanging out with a bunch of schoolgirls. not my idea of a super movie. but, clint has never failed me yet. its hardly his best work to me

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Nov 12, 2017

At first glance, its easy to see why both Siegel and Eastwood were attracted to the material but the final product is quite unique in both of their filmographys. It's a melodrama and also a sexual thriller but one that's ultimately focused on fantasy/memory. I can see why it bombed, by the bleak ending the movie has alienated just about every potential mainstream audience member.

• Oct 10, 2017

An erotic drama set during the Civil War in the US in its first half in the second half it turns a genuine horror story worth of Stephen King's pen. It's a fascinating yet sometimes grisly movie. Clint Eastwood's unconventional performance is pretty riveting and all the girls are a wonder. The sexual tensions in the film sometimes reach high degrees as sensuality floats around the characters breaking their taboos.

• Sep 30, 2017

Southern gothic horror at its most shocking (for the time).

Southern gothic horror at its most shocking (for the time).

• Sep 07, 2017

An adaptation of a Thomas Cullinan's novel, Don Siegel's psychosexual Southern Gothic appalls and enthrals with a lurid depiction of sexual incitement and vengeance in a female seminary when a handsome wounded soldier with secret licentious motivation convalesces in the concupiscent confines.

• Aug 28, 2017

Pretty good film about a wounded Union soldier hiding out in an all girls school in the South. This obviously leads to a lot of tension, sexual and otherwise, and the social dynamics that play out are surprising and exciting to watch.