Benny's Video - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Benny's Video Reviews

December 17, 2015
Genuinely unsettling in its main characters' nonchalant attitudes but the minimalist feel of the film got way too tedious at times.
October 18, 2015
A very good early film from Haneke. Don't be put off by the disturbing opening scene, no he is not boosting his shock factor by throwing in random animal cruelty as they used to do in the seventies; the rest of the film is very watchable, but nicely disturbing. I still haven't seen a bad Austrian film.
April 10, 2015
Unapologetic cultural commentary that you will find hard to watch but even harder to forget.
October 18, 2014
dark and slow, yet totally captivating. loved benny's numbness throughout. pretty brutal, but tastefully done. not as weird/experimental as some of his other films, and i'm cool with that. overall a super cool story.
July 11, 2014
An interesting concept for a movie, If my kid ever killed someone I don't think I would be willing to cover it up, I think they should have to suffer the consequences. So this story is kind of like who is worse. Both are bad one for killing the girl and the parents for being willing to cover it up. I found myself kind of like "you little asshole" at the end. Not an amazing movie by any stretch of the imagination but an interesting idea.
June 16, 2014
My first watch of a Haneke film, and I think it's fair to say I'll be watching more.
This is a very interesting film about the effect of violence in the media, although this connection is a bit shady. I don't totally agree with what the film is saying, but as Haneke continuously feeds us repeats of the same disturbing images I found myself getting used to them, which to me shows there is some truth in the films message. Pretty clever really. The way it is filmed is also very clever, it's shown in such a calm, casual way, contrasting what is happening on the screen, and making it seem even more disturbing.
There's a hell of a lot that just doesn't make sense to me, though. I think some things could have been explained a bit clearer, or maybe my mind is just too simple...
But still, it was an interesting and brave film that has really intrigued me to go and watch more of Haneke's work. Good job.
April 15, 2014
Intresting movie, shows the charactor of people who do that sort of thing.
February 11, 2014
Michael Haneke delivered one of the most disturbing scenes in cinema history! With his propensity for exposing the ugliest most foul characteristics of mankind he was able to sink us even deeper into the quagmire of depravity by making us an accomplice to a horrendous crime!

Pay close attention to the film most fail to catch on to a significant plot twist! Hint: It's totally diabolical!
½ December 29, 2013
definitely one of the more disturbing/ warped characters on screen,this benny psycho.
had two thoughts throughout the slow flick: what small pert buns he's got, and how much i'd like to smash his smug,asking-for-it face in.
½ November 13, 2013
Good first half, blows its potential entirely in the second.
October 6, 2013
Haneke siempre quiere hacerte sentir mal.
March 28, 2013
Benny's Video is about a privileged, manic-depressive teenage boy who becomes inattentive to reality by watching violent videos. Without analyzing it too much, I came to the conclusion that this is a story of how one's vision can be controlled and blurred from reality. I really like this story; Haneke's use of foreshadow is effective and smart. Although there are complaints that this film fails to support its pivotal moments of ideological purpose and what not, I think that there is something really special happening here. And yes, I know it's not as iconic as Funny Games or as picturesque as The White Ribbon. I highly recommend this movie, seeing as it is apart of the glaciation trilogy.
February 24, 2013
Disturbing commentary on middle class psychopathy across generations and how casually easy murder can be in our remote, disconnected society.
February 15, 2013
Basically, I have started to get sick of Michael Haneke's torture. He is one of the most ruthless director as he only creates characters without sentiments. The Benny here is so hateful and I just can't help cursing him while I am watching the film. But despite these, the message he is try to convey is profound. However, I will think the tragedy is caused by alienation among the bourgeoisie class other than media influence. By the way, I can't really stand the gruesome captive bolt pistol!
January 19, 2013
?? ???????? ?? ????? ????????? ?? ?????????? ????????. ??? ??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ????? ???????? ??? ????????.
½ December 26, 2012
This disturbing auteur hasn't left Austrian territory and keeps questioning the morality involved in our actions, the validity of the psychological and social factors that influenced it, and the amount of guidance that preceeded them. Benny's Video is obviously the most direct representation of the director's usual statements. Powerful, effectively disturbing and quite unforgettable.

Thumbs up for Mr. Toxic Avenger!

½ December 13, 2012
"Benny's Video" starts with Evi(Stephanie Brehme) holding a party at her parents'(Ulrich Muhe & Angela Winkler) apartment without permission. Their son Benny(Arno Frisch) hardly notices as he is in his room watching videos as usual. One day at the video store, he encounters a girl(Ingrid Stassner) his age who is just waiting outside. They go back to his place where he seeks to impress her with a piggy snuff video he made at a farm and shows her the weapon used to kill the pig. He even dares her to shoot him. She refuses. Then, he shoots her.

So, Michael Haneke, you have our attention. Now what do you plan on doing with it?

As it happens, not a heck of a lot with a movie that feels influenced by Atom Egoyan's earlier video inflected films and also works as a line to Haneke's future with "Cache." At least with "Benny's Video," he is not blaming violent movies so much, as he takes a slightly less simplistic route by blaming the parents with Benny being a classic latchkey kid with minimal supervision while enabling him with all the electronic equipment they buy him. Don't believe me? Then, check out the pyramid scheme that Evi is running.
October 17, 2012
Dark drama with an uneasy premise. The story itself is fairly loose which leaves plenty of time to contemplate the proceedings.
September 19, 2012
Benny's video is haunting and difficult to watch in a number of places. This is allegedly the third of Michael Haneke's trilogy and I haven't seen the first two but this works as a stand alone piece investigating violence and what seemingly rational parents will do to protect a disturbed son.
August 22, 2012
Like all Haneke films, itā(TM)s bone-chilling, but like many other Haneke films, there are too many scenes where weā(TM)re staring at the quotidian for too long and canā(TM)t figure out why. But even if it was perfect Haneke, Iā(TM)m not sure Iā(TM)d ever want to watch it again.