Berberian Sound Studio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Berberian Sound Studio Reviews

March 24, 2017
I'll be frank and say I simply don't understand the love this film gets in some quarters. It undeniably has a lot of interesting moments, but a collection of interesting moments scattered amidst a lot of tedium don't really add up to a good film. A lot seems to be made of the supposed references to Italian horror, giallo in particular, which strikes me as somewhere between overstated and non-existent. Yes, the people in this film are making a horror film (not a giallo) and they're making in it Italy in the 1970's, but THIS film ... "Berberian Sound Studio" ... doesn't really contain stylistic references to 1970's Italian horror. I really do appreciate slow burn horror, but the burn has to lead somewhere.
½ March 20, 2017
Either it was too pretentious, or I'm simply to dumb or hip enough to get this movie. I didn't really get where it was going, and I wasn't thrilled with any visuals onscreen. Great sound at least, and I do like how it's a love letter to giallo and how sound design works.
½ March 4, 2017
Interesting well made movie about a recording studio working on the foley and dialogue recordings of a Italian horror movie in the 70s. Has a David lynch vibe. I love that you never see the actual movie they work on
December 21, 2016
Bizarre in a way that's trying too hard and makes it easy to lose interest in the film. Boring.
½ December 19, 2016
Very clever little giallo about the making of a giallo.
½ November 24, 2016
An imaginative and expertly-edited psychological thriller/meta exercise that dissolves the barrier between reality and fiction using a fantastic sound design, beautiful scene transitions and a smart cinematography that nicely references the style of the Italian giallos of the '70s.
October 23, 2016
This movie is like a luxury Audi with top of the line technology but missing the engine. Yeah the heated leather seats, the touch pad controls, and voice activated sound system is awesome! However, its a piece of useless shit without the engine powering it. The acting, the sound, and the cinematography was amazing! However, I can smell the foul sweat of an artsy fartsy writer and a director that is trying to be as esoteric as possible. Sorry guys! You spent it all on the effects and left the story dry. Give us at least something at the end or you end up putting an abstract work of art on canvas inside a high powered vehicle and expect it the run solely on the artistic expression of the painting. Nope, nope, nope. Buddy.... you need an engine.
July 3, 2016
Haunting, creepy and odly disturbing. A perfect mixture of Lynch and mystery Horror.
½ July 1, 2016
It aims too high for its brief 90 minutes to handle, but Berberian Sound Studio rests safely on the shoulders of Toby Jones' devoted performance and Peter Strickland's skillful writing and directing.
½ March 30, 2016
I love the way the sound design informs the internal struggles of the main character in such a way it re-contextualizes almost every scene, and the overall dynamic of the story itself. The sound studio setting is also a brilliant way to call out this clash between the very British way of internalizing emotion versus the outward fiery passion of these Italian artists, each dealing with a power struggle, and working toward a similar goal.
February 23, 2016
What to say about this? I loved the style. The atmosphere of the Italian 'giallo' films of the seventies is captured perfectly and I suppose in many ways this film is a tribute to those films and that time so I adored that part of the film. The sets, clothes, cast are perfect. I loved the weird dudes hacking at the vegetables creating sound effects. There is a lot to love about this film aesthetically speaking. What I did not love was the story which I felt just got completely lost. It starts out well but just kind of wanders off somewhere along the way. I found myself sitting there thinking how great the film looks but ultimately how bored I was by the story (or lack thereof in this case). I'm glad I watched it because in many ways it is beautiful but I couldn't sit through it again.
February 21, 2016
It's quite an unsettling and interesting film but perhaps too jumbled with thoughts to keep a viewer more interested to explore. The life imitating art aspect of it works really well, but it feels like someone making a David Lynch film without it fully realized.
½ February 14, 2016
what you hear is more terrifying than what you see.
½ February 12, 2016
I waited in vain for something, anything, to happen. Boring, too long, and making no sense at all.
½ January 31, 2016
Experimental and fascinating, but kind of falls flat.
January 24, 2016
couldn't not anticipate the end cus it was hard to be emotionally thrilled but a handful of respect for the work that's been done and there is a astrange sparkle for a soul; in the end thanks for an experience
½ December 30, 2015
Got into it at first. Good conflict setup. But then started to lose me with the lack of change in setting & same things happening over & over without finally getting to an explanation, & with the director getting more annoying. The grape feeding scene is just weird. The Brit's such a wuss. Money, or no work! Simple!

It had potential, but ultimately became a tedious and convoluted letdown. Horrible ending.
December 9, 2015
Didn't enjoy this at all. However, I am missing having seen all of the movies Berberian Sound Studio is supposedly paying reference to, so I might be missing out on that experience. Still not a great experience for me.
½ December 5, 2015
Grew very weary of it by the time that the awful non-ending occurred.
½ October 25, 2015
I'm a sucker for films that concern themselves directly with the film-making process. Berberian Sound Studio pays homage to Italian horror and seems to directly reference Suspiria. Toby Jones is superb as usual and the film is certainly I will revisit.