Bitter Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bitter Moon Reviews

August 19, 2018
excellent drama, thanks to roman.
½ July 29, 2018
1992 from what shall I say, the interesting cinematic mind of director Roman Polanski.
The film is a Franco-British production starring Hugh Grant and Kristen Scott Thomas as British couple Nigel and Fiona on a cruise ship to India.
On the cruise they meet a rather strange French/U.S. couple Oscar (Peter Coyote) a paraplegic and his French wife Mimi (Emmanuelle Siegner, the real life wife of Polanski).
Grant plays his usual rather bumbling Englishman persona as he becomes embroiled in a rather interesting but strange discussion over several sessions with Oscar about how he ended up in his current predicament with Mimi.
Grant (Nigel) obviously finds the situation strange but the story is engrossing in a lurid sort of way. Describing the Parisian history of failed novelist Oscar and his sexual history with Mimi.
The film has some rather lurid innuendos and encounters. It is adult rated be warned.
The running time does drag on but the story is fascinating in a strange sort of way.
Just how did able bodied Parisian Oscar end up a cripple on a cruise ship? Why go into intimate details about his private life with Nigel and in some moments why did Nigel stay to listen?
At the same time as all of these events poor Fiona is being neglected during the holiday of a lifetime.
The end of the film reveals all the answers with quite shocking details and conclusions!
The claustrophobic nature of the cruise ship itself adds to the tension of the story.
The casting of Polanskis real life wife as Mimi is a strange one.
The history of Polanski himself is quite lurid itself. I must explore his filmography. I've only seen Chinatown so am new to his work.
Hugh Grant never changes. Except looking 20 years younger!
I've seen a few French productions and so far most seem to be quite adult in subject matter but interesting at the same time.
April 17, 2018
The title Bitter Moon (literally: bitter moon) is the opposite of the English term honeymoon (literally, honey moon), which means honeymoon. A veritable pun is the French title, Lune de miel, Moon / Month of Honey = Honeymoon, in which similar-sounding Lunes de fell, months of bile, changed.

Well, I'm honest, I just watched the movie because I saw the teeth with the milk in a documentary about colors on TV and I really wanted to know what movie those teeth are from.

And the reason why I really wanted to see this movie is because unfortunately I thought with my little head but in itself I think that was a good decision for the first time because it really is a unique movie.
However, I can not say I liked him because I kept wondering why, why are they doing that, why is not he just leaving them, and so on.
I first had a real problem with the sorry but then I thought it was because I have not experienced so many of my life yet and I can not always go out on my own I'm addicted to revenge, I've never been married, I was not yet in love, I am still relatively young.
But the rest is films I liked so much that these aspects are always stuck out like one and polished the kitchen table but looks beautiful and at one point on the edge still looks a nail out.

The music is really great, the actors are not boring at any time, the actress from cat just looked so hot from all over the movie so I can not believe that he literally ran after her for weeks in and out Most of the time, film had a really erotic effect over its length. As I am not used to it from normal films.

But the movie has definitely caught my interest and made me start asking questions so I'll definitely take another look at it in a couple of years to see if my mind has changed but for now I unfortunately give it a thumbs down
March 21, 2018
see this!!! Polanski is amazing
December 24, 2017
M-F-O

9.2

[Roman Polanski]
½ August 18, 2017
Peter Coyote as Oscar was a huge miscast and Emmanuelle Seigner's teeter toter acting couldn't be saved by her gorgeous body. It has a pretty good ending, but it is too long and repeats the message to a dead pulp.
½ August 15, 2017
It seems lost in the beginning and not as narratively concise as Polanski's previous efforts, but offers an interesting examination on sexual and emotional relationships and a fitting, perhaps hastened resolution.
June 4, 2017
We all know how romantic comedies work don't we? Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, tensions brew to the point of nearly boiling over, then they kiss and make up. The end! A perfect ending for your standard rom-com protagonists. But what happens next for the happy couple? 'Bitter Moon' provides the answers. Oscar and Mimi are Polanski's representatives of the generic rom-com couple. Once they've gone through the motions of falling in love, we get a look behind the curtain and see how deranged the couples from these types of movies really are. After achieving their "happy ending", Oscar and Mimi find themselves wrapped up in a sadistic and masochistic relationship with no way out. The insanity keeps building as the two of them try one-upping each other with their attempts at making the other as miserable as possible. 'Bitter Moon' is a very very dark comedy, but still a comedy, and is not a crowd-pleaser. It's also one of Roman Polanski's best films.
½ January 2, 2017
This Polanski film is a ridiculous mess but I won't deny there are certain admirable traits in it. The film's cluttered and hilariously cheesey but perhaps Polanski's ideas about the danger of being in love make it thoroughly watchable to some degree.
November 24, 2016
I can't honestly say that this film remotely resembles the best of Polanski's work. However it does have all the themes from Chinatown etc. on prominent display. Enter at your own risk. Personal bias noted, I can say that this should also be on Blu-ray in the US.
November 7, 2016
I normally like Roman Polanski's movies. However, in this movie, aside from the acting, there wasn't much that I liked.
Great acting! Those were some psychotic characters!
½ July 28, 2015
As atuações fracas e o desperdiçado conceito do sexo afetam demais o filme, mas seu desfecho artificalmente abrupto é o destaque negativo.
½ May 30, 2015
An uneven and angry examination of erotic obsession is often more frantic to make an impact.
April 30, 2015
Many have thought this to be a low point for Polanski. Many critics blamed it on the strange sexual fetishism that the film celebrated. I guess its just creepy, coming from Polanski. Perhaps it was to much to watch coming from a man with such a disgraceful past. But Bitter Moon is so good, at being so risqué. This is some pretty heavy erotica. The performance by Peter Coyote and Emmanuelle Seigner as the on-and-off, shagging couple is damn delicious. They just let it all hang out, and I mean that in the most literal sense. I loved seeing those two lusting over each other, then completely tearing each other apart in over-sexed rage. It's so over-the-top. A few things bring it down a bit. One, I have a problem with dogs involved in sexual acts.. I think this movie may have violated a code in the AHA. Also, Hugh Grant. Going into this, I had my hand hovering over the stop button, because of.. well, Hugh Grant. He's a terrible actor. It's that same shy but dashing british gentleman over and over. It kind of works here, since his role is so insignificant, but he can still get under your skin. The scenes on the boat also seem unnecessary next to the exquisite tale that Oscar spins. I think the movie would have been perfect, if it was just that sick love story, and nothing more. I really appreciated Polanski's effort. This is a little-known, but satisfying art-house film.
April 5, 2015
No filmmaker can even come close to reproducing the kind of cinema that Polanski makes, and 'Bitter Moon' might very well be one of the most under-appreciated examples of the Director's unique craft.
February 19, 2015
What a disappointment, most of these reviewers must have seen a different movie...boring and both payoffs are yawn inducing.
October 2, 2014
This could be one of the best movies I've ever come across, the ups n downs in the relationship and the twists are entertaining and real, It's Polanski's darkest and deepest work..
½ September 22, 2014
A seemingly pathological drama if you devote much attention to the overwhelming sex scenes. But you will be deeply saddened if you change your focal point to exploration of mankind. The naivete and romance turns into suffering, and later horrific torturing and eventually a shocking, yet somehow predictable tragic fate. What's more tragic is Hugh Grant and Kristin Scott Thomas, who both don't dare to love and hate explicitly. The whole story is just so smooth and mesmerizing, thanks to Roman Polanski's masterful direction.
½ August 4, 2014