Blancanieves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blancanieves Reviews

May 30, 2016
Blancanieves is a charming little Spanish film with great cinematography, but never seems to really fit into the genre. Its details are fitting, but the overall picture is only average.
½ May 23, 2016
In the day and age of CGI, there is absolutely NO NEED to horrendously torture animals. A little bit of research on this movie and I found out that 9 bulls were brutally killed for the making of this movie. No support (or money) for you!
March 30, 2016
a breathtakingly beautiful yet sad film. if you pay attention carefully it is also a critique of our fascination with entertainment.
March 9, 2016
One of the most riveting movies I have ever seen.
February 13, 2016
How can this be from 2012, be in pure Spanish, and get such a high rating? Oh yeah, nobody but fake people are rating it...
½ February 2, 2016
A very Spanish (i.e. creative, intriguing, bold) approach to the original tale. Certainly feels like something from the silent era. The narrative transitions and the ending could have been better though.
½ September 24, 2015
Great movie, very artsy and beautiful. Telling a story in black & white without words. A (somewhat) modern version of Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs.
½ September 9, 2015
Well what do you know? There's another recent film besides The Artist that convincingly takes on the guise of a silent film. This Spanish film is a sometimes-clever retelling of Snowwhite and the Seven Dwarves, that also manages to do it without using supernatural elements. It's often pretty, but the film's attempt to get in all of the plot points from The Brothers Grimm tale can be a bit awkward at times. A real heart-breaker of an ending though.
½ August 23, 2015
Por fin la pude ver. El blanco y negro y la fotografía estupendos, el score muy adecuado, la historia muy española. Maribel estupenda.
½ July 14, 2015
I watched a silent, B&W, Spanish retelling of a traditional folk tale; pretentious, yo?

While this didn't avoid all the cliche traps, the way bullfighting and flamenco were woven into the story was very satisfying, and the combination of Andalusia, 1920s costume and the cinematography was irresistibly gorgeous.
½ July 1, 2015
An interesting take on the old Snow White legend with beautiful production and costume design.
½ June 27, 2015
Pablo Berger seemed to know exactly how to give homage to Show White and silent film. Great acting, beautiful to look at and entertaining throughout. Blancanieves is one of the best movies of the decade thus far.
February 19, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. Superbly recreating the 1920s black and white silent era through its imagery and lighting, the excellent performances and settings add to this tragic tale. 1001
January 17, 2015
A great movie and interesting spin on Snow White!
½ December 3, 2014
Best Spanish bullfighting, b&w, silent retelling of Snow White I have ever seen!
November 17, 2014
Risky bet, that I do not know if it has gone on in a good way yet. More curious by photography and actors than for the story itself. The end let me a little cold, and maybe it is the cause for low calification, but I compensate with half an additional star by good actings and photography. Between 2.5 and 3. However, the fact that they killed some animals to make the movie make me underrate it.
½ October 30, 2014
A silent film, beautifully photographed, in a Snow White type of drama with the wicked stepmother, redemption, etc. It is set in Spain in the 1920s.
October 5, 2014
I almost passed on this movie since I hate bullfighting, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. There was also no animal cruelty shown. Its style is similar to 'The Artist', a silent black and white film made in 2011. It also reminded me of Mommy Dearest, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs and Freaks.
October 4, 2014
Beautiful, but very sad.
September 11, 2014
A classic fable told in a refreshing way with the crisp touch of black-and-white. This Spanish silent film is the best version of Snow White I've seen till date; it really is 'The Fairest of them all'. The cinematography, the acting, and the music, all supervised by its expert director, Pablo Berger, will make the movie everlasting; it's a treat for cinema-lovers. It takes one into this intoxicatingly enchanting era of Spain, with royal houses, bullfighting, flamenco, et cetera, and keeps you there long after the movie has ended. The movie proves that simplicity with a dab of artistic innovation can create wonders.

All the actors involved in the movie, especially Maribel Verdu, Macarena Garca and Daniel Gimnez Cacho, have done an incredible job. They hold your attention with their mastery over a wide range of emotions. Maribel Verdu, from 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' and 'Pan's Labyrinth', is such a delight to watch; she thrills you with her rendition of the Evil Stepmother.

Berger proves that, to tell an interesting story through the medium of movie doesn't necessarily require wide range of colours or even dialogues. With proper story, impeccable acting, and an entrancing background score, one can do wonders.

'The Artist' won a lot of acclaim and awards to bring back black & white silent style cinema, but Blancanieves' conception and production dates much back. If 'The Artist' wasn't out first, being shown at Cannes (its roller-coaster ride of fame began there) and hadn't taken away all the spotlight for being the first post-modern B&W silent film, 'Blancanieves' might have received the respect and acclaim it deserved, because, in my opinion, both these movies are absolute masterpieces.

Anyway, cinephiles shouldn't miss out on this. It's a spectacular and enchanting tribute to Silent-era Films.