Blood Simple Reviews

• Oct 09, 2020

Clever, curt, and cruel. Lacks character dimensionality but benefits from ample visual flair and a taut plot.

• Sep 22, 2020

The film Blood Simple changed my entire perspective about Thrillers. I have never been a fan of thrillers, nor have I been interested in watching a thriller movie, but the combination of subtle, diabolical comedy and the mystery of trying to figure out who is going to die next, has made me hooked on thriller movies. One of the opening lines of the movie is from Visser, who we the audience cannot see and he states, "But what I know about is, Texas, and down here, you're on your own." This is a microcosm for the underlying message throughout the film, which is that in this world, it's every man for themselves. Whether it's when Marty was buried alive in the middle of an open field in the middle of nowhere, or at the end of the film once Visser was laying on the ground after being shot by Abby (trying to get some help by getting water to relieve his pain but he dies just before he gets the water), the message stays true throughout the film. The film Blood Simple takes place in a rural area of Texas and starts off by focusing on a couple, Ray and Abby. Abby just recently got out of a relationship with her abusive ex-husband, Marty. Now, Marty had just recently hired a private investigator named Visser to spy on Abby, to see what her and her new boyfriend were doing. After Visser had shown Marty photos he had taken of Ray and Abby together, Marty tried to take matters into his own hands by attacking Abby, but that backfired quickly and Marty was humiliated. Shortly after this humiliating event, Marty offered Visser $10,000 to kill both Ray and Abby. Visser accepted the offer and went to the house to kill Ray and Abby, except he didn't do that. He took photos of the couple in bed but added gunshot wounds to them to make Marty believe it. When Visser showed Marty the proof that he killed Abby and Ray, however, Visser forgot that he put the blank copy of the photo in the file he gave to Marty. As Marty brings out the money for Visser, Marty has a look on his face that something is up, and right then, Visser shoots him, contradicting the normal role a detective would play in most films, no matter the genre, especially a noir narrative like Blood Simple. After he shoots Marty, Visser takes his money and leaves the bar, but shortly after the shooting, Ray shows up demanding the money that Marty owes him for working at the bar. Ray then goes into his office to find an almost-dead Marty whose body and shirt is seeping with blood. This sparks a whole adventure, where Ray ends up burying Marty alive in an open field in the middle of nowhere and leaves him to die. Shortly after this, Visser realizes that he left some evidence that he shot Marty back at the bar and when he returns, Abby is there wandering around the office. This causes a huge chase and pursuit of Abby (and anyone else who knows anything about the shooting of Marty), which leads up to the giant finale of the movie where only one of the original main characters survives in an all-out blood bath. One scene of interest for me was the final scene of the movie. The reason why it is a scene of interest is because of the dramatic nature of it. At first the scene is more or less like a game of hide-and-seek, only with much worse consequences if you are found, and only one person remains alive at the end. But what really made the scene for me were the choices the Coen Brothers made. The Brothers chose for the final scene to occur when it is dark outside, which only adds to the tension of the scene, because we all know something creepy/scary is about to happen. The other key choice they made was the music for the scene. The music they choose for the scene starts off slow but slowly starts getting faster, and when something big is about to happen, the music stops instantly and allows for the actors and the moment to carry the weight of the scene and not the music. These two choices the Coen Brothers made had a big impact on how this scene is interpreted by the audience when they are watching it, and with this occurring within a span of minutes, it keeps the audience on the edge of their seats and for the final scene of the film that is very important. Overall, I would give Blood Simple a 4 out of 5. I gave it this rating because overall I really enjoyed the film and the pacing of how one series of events builds off another and there weren't a lot of filler scenes that slow down the film. The only reason for why I wouldn't give it a 5 is because of a personal preference. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of violence in certain ways, and in this movie, the camera doesn't shy away from it. Between watching the skin getting pierced after a bullet just went through someone's chest, or watching a blade of a knife go directly through a character's hand, and you can see the blood start profusely exiting the characters hand at that moment, for someone like me those two scenes weren't exactly easy to watch. That being said, those two scenes should not be the reason for you to watch this great film, which was also a great debut by the Coen Brothers.

• Sep 21, 2020

"Blood Simple" was a very interesting film that was vexed which also made it interesting. The way the characters plotted against each other was strange in a way that it made the film different from any others. This film shows how creative the Coen brothers think! My favorite scene is when Marty hired a P.I to see if Abby was cheating on him. I like this scene because it created a risky problem for the couple and expanded throughout the film. This film would be given a 4 because the scenes weren't too predictable and the problems that were caused made it interesting. It also had a good amount of action. Just needed more comedy for me!

• Sep 19, 2020

The Coen brothers made an amazing movie, Blood Simple. This movie gave a great story line, the soundtrack fit every intense scene. There were so many turn of events that I wouldn't have expected. I recommend this movie to anyone that is interested in a dramatic plot twist story line.

• Sep 18, 2020

It is difficult to contemplate how a pair of neophyte filmmakers could come up with a film such as Blood Simple. In this film there is a sheer exuberance of the Coen brothers visual style. The script is as solid as can be. The Coen Brothers placed small hidden clues, which can be overlooked if not paying attention. "Blood Simple" takes place in the deep heart of Texas. A bar-owner is convinced that his wife is guilty of infidelity and hires a private detective to spy on her. He then tells the private detective to kill his wife and her lover. This is just the start of a complex storyline filled with misconception and murder. This film is both tense and horrifying leaving you on the edge of your seat. It is a wicked film noir thriller with dark humor. It is an astounding film which is why I would definitely rate this 5 stars.

• Sep 18, 2020

"Blood Simple" is probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie is totally a 5 star rating. A young woman leaves her toxic disgusting husband for a better and simple man. After the husband finds out about his wife having an affair, he calls out an "old friend" to kill her wife and her boyfriend. The ending is a surprise. ;) It has many shocking parts. From the very start this movie is very indelible.The Coen films are not meant to be forgotten or removed, the scenes are very memorable. Each movie scene and each character has their own meticulous part of the movie.In the films, nothing is done on accident, the sences are meant to happen. Every part is magisterially there for a reason.

• Sep 18, 2020

"Blood Simple" is a fast-paced thriller that propels murder and mystery into a loop. From the beginning, we are reminded that "nothing comes with a guarantee", and are expected to uphold this statement as the film progresses. Throughout the story, we are presented with evidence of betrayal and love, who are constantly in juxtaposition with one another until consequently, we see the characters torn apart. As a result, this film finds a way to cover its pungent smell of disregard for the horrors of human nature, leaving behind a trail of blood and suspense. But from one scene to the next, the vindication switches between player to player, until we are left with a classic one-on-one standoff.

• Sep 18, 2020

My zeitgeist throughout the movie for me is tedious because some of the parts didn't interest me, But one part that is indelible to me when Visser laying on the bathroom floor looking at the pipe that has dripping water falling down and he starts to laugh. Visser's last words was "well man if i see it, I'll sure give him the message" and then he stared at the drop of water until it dripped down on him. His reaction shows me that he wasn't afraid to die. A big takeaway from this that shows women are strong because Abby went through a vexed abusive relationship and was willing to over power that when she said " I'm not afraid of you Marty" and that takes a lot from a woman to stay.

• Sep 18, 2020

This film is a 4.5! "Blood Simple" is a meticulously daunting film in yet such a comedic way as Marty hires a private investigator (Visser) to spy on Abby. Vissers diabolical plan to take down our characters Abby and Ray turns into a betrayal situation of also taking down Marty ending his life with the phrase "Who looks stupid now!" While all these men circle Abby like a shark, she gains her own courage and strength to fight them off. A film full of betrayal and distrust, this amusing noir will cause ambivalent feelings of misanthropy while simultaneously questioning if this is the true nature and ugliness of human behavior. Fascinating enough, the coens will have you think twice about believing what you see before your own eyes because "If you point a gun at someone, you'd better make sure you shoot him, and if you shoot him you'd better make sure he's dead, because if he isn't then he's gonna get up and try to kill you." If there's on thing we all learned, it's that "...down here, you're on your own" (imagine that in the vernacular accent of Texas.)

• Sep 18, 2020

Blood Simple, the first Coen Brothers film, was a well-directed neo-noir that combines violence, humor, and betrayal. The setting for Blood Simple is in Texas and its vernacular is shown with Visser (the detective) as a southern Texas man. Blood Simple is action-packed and shows a good amount of deception as when Marty discovered Abby's infidelity and violence, the Coens were bold in this indie movie and didn't shy the camera away when the scenes got gruesome. Scenes like this can make the audience feel exuberant or frightened from one of the many intense scenes throughout the film. Blood Simple is an adequate neo-noir masterpiece.