Blue Hawaii - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Hawaii Reviews

August 17, 2016
A timeless film, but I have to give it a look again to see if the critics are right about this or not.
½ June 3, 2016
I was almost always true to you.

Chad has recently been released from the military and returns home to Hawaii to find a girlfriend who expects him to settle down and live a normal lifestyle and parents who want him to prepare to take over the family business. Unfortunately, Chad wants to pick his own path and rebels against both directions. He may find those that love him have his best interest at heart and he may need to compromise.

"How could you kiss that girl?"
"It was easy."

Norman Taurog, director of Boys Town, GI Blues, Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, Speedway, The Birds and the Bees, Men of Boys Town, and Mad about Music, delivers Blue Hawaii. The storyline for this picture is fairly cheesy, cliché, and contains mediocre writing and characters. The acting is average and the cast includes Elvis Presley, Joan Blackman, Angela Lansbury, Roland Winters, and Steve Brodie.

"Daddy, are you forgetting yourself?"
"I'm trying."

I recently came across an Elvis marathon on cable and decided to DVR a few pics. This was very cheesy and did not take itself too seriously. The plot just seemed like an excuse to rollout Elvis and his music. He had charisma, but needed a well written film. I'd skip this unless you are a diehard Elvis fan.

"That dog is just plain stupid."

Grade: C
½ May 26, 2016
Hawaii (circa 1961) and ol'swivel hips is our personal tour guide. Angela Lansbury plays comic relief as his overmomming Southern mommie and Floyd the barber's in there, too, for comic backup lest attention starts to wander. This is strictly for fans of the Pelvis though. Hawaii looks good too. Rock-A-Hula, baby!
April 8, 2015
First off, this movie has it all- Elvis in an army uniform, Elvis with a lei, Elvis kissing every woman, Elvis swinging his hips, Elvis singing Elvis songs, Elvis singing Hawaiian songs, Elvis in a white suit, Elvis with an orange fake tan, Elvis shirtless, Elvis making non stop innuendo, Elvis surfing, Elvis with a dog, Elvis being a good guy, Elvis brawling, Elvis in jail, Elvis on a horse... Unfortunately, what it doesn't have is a plot or any emotion. The music also tapers off into blandness by the end. Way to kill good-actor Elvis, world.
February 25, 2015
Great scenery, very nice music, and an energetic/fun Elvis enjoying the role and doing quite well at it. This role combined with his two previous dramas show how much promise he had as a true Hollywood actor....a shame that it never progressed.
January 26, 2015
It was good
but it wasn't as fun as the other cool Hawaiian classics with Elvis...
December 26, 2014
Bad accents and incredibly short pants -- Elvis is back in Hawaii. Campy fun.
August 2, 2014
This Wasn't That Good Of A Elvis Movie.But Did Have Some Funny Parts And Good Music,But That Won't Make The Movie Good.C
July 27, 2014
For those who love the islands as much as we do this classic movie set on Kauai (where we are going in September) is just what we needed!
December 12, 2013
one of Elvis' best movies
½ July 2, 2013
Blue Hawaii was Elvis's most successful film. It had everything an Elvis musical should have: songs, dances, romance, and some silly moments too. The soundtrack is a masterpiece compared to Fun In Acapulco and it's probably one of his best soundtracks of the 60's, including "Can't Help Falling In Love," one of his well-known love songs. The romance in the film, well, is a little too much. There are just too many potential love interests in the film, and one of them is WAY too young also! But I'm not going to spoil it for you. Elvis has his fair share of sassy moments in the film. Honestly, it's a fun film. DON'T watch it for the plot though. It's just one of those funny movies you'd put in the background at a party.
½ May 3, 2013
Really cheesy puns mixed in a big ball of innuendo... It just goes to show Hollywood was quick to cash in on an easy buck long before today's modern schlock.
March 24, 2013
Angela Lansbury superb as Chad's mom. A classic from my childhood.
January 5, 2013
Nothing more than a few Elvis hits and his good looks.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
August 20, 2012
"Elvis is classic Hollywood, Truly the king of Hotness!"
It's been decades since the King himself has sung live or made a movie, because of his untimely death. Regardless his spirit still lives on through the big screen. The film focuses on Old meets New Hawaii, with breath taking landscape and local Hot spots to this day are still popular. The film excites it's audience with catchy tunes like: 'Fools Fall in Love' Elvis' Greatest #1 hits to date.
August 3, 2012
It's a beauty to look at, and I don't mean Elvis. This movie makes me want to get back to Hawaii at the earliest opportunity.
April 21, 2012
Elvis!!! who cares about anything else!
½ March 26, 2012
My favorite of the original Elvis films, Blue Hawaii had such an entertaining soundtrack that I could care less what the plot line was.
March 18, 2012
Funny in a tacky 60's way. Two stars; one for the music and another because I've just been to several of the locations (Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, Lihue, Coco Palms, Wailua River) and it was fun to see what it looked like back in 1961.