Blue Valentine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Valentine Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
A careful pacing and two three-dimensional characters are what makes this drama so realistic and involving, a wonderful and sincere portrait of a relationship in collapse and how the weight of real life can irremediably damage the happy-end dream for a couple living together.
November 21, 2016
Speaks louder than words.
½ November 13, 2016
*** 1/2 'Blue Valentine' may label itself as a love story, and whilst it technically is, don't go in expecting a sweet romance. Whilst the movie does suffer in terms of how the characters, in particular that of Cindy, keep changing their attitude towards people and the decisions they make, the performances are very good, as is the dialogue and direction. Certainly worth checking out.
November 3, 2016
to acting, to the editing, to the dialogue, to the plot this movie is perfect.
October 16, 2016
Sexy, realistic, well written
October 13, 2016
I have no idea why these two are together.
September 10, 2016
It wasn't always this way. There was a time when his idiosyncrasies were the most appealing things about him; there was a time when she knew how to laugh, how to tell herself that we live in a cruel world but there's always some kind of a way to make it worth suffering for. Years ago, he wasn't balding, wasn't dependent on the tantalizing powers of the bottle, and wasn't in a sorry state of existential denial; years ago, she was ambitious, an optimistic believer in the idea that she could put her troubled past behind her and start a new life wherein both personal and professional satisfaction would finally stop slipping away from her.
But the days of merriment and possibility are over for Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams) - the rapturous bond that once brought them together has effectively disintegrated. They've been married for a few years now, and are the mother and father of a little girl (Faith Wladyka). But time has only brought increasing hardship in the relationship - Cindy wants to grow and better herself, whereas Dean would prefer to cling to the safeties of his youth and continue denying his emotional immaturities. She wants out; he doesn't think anything is terribly wrong. They're in the midst of a rough patch is all.
Because 2010's "Blue Valentine," directed by Derek Cianfrance, is a painfully realistic study of the dissolution of a marriage, though, things are hardly going to work out in Dean's favor. It's not so much disenchanted by the notion of holy matrimony as much as it is markedly aware that even the slightest disconnect between a romantic pair is certain to cause problems later on. Jumping back and forth between the period during which Dean and Cindy were first starting to get to know one another and the period characterized by its Cindy the last few days of their partnership, the film is a killer brute of a take on a failed relationship, so unforced in its every move that we're better seen as a fly on a wall impotently witnessing a harshly traumatic break-up.
Since we're only provided with the introductory snapshots and closing fragments of the focal union, crucial is our deciphering of what came in the middle, how Dean and Cindy, once the kind of couple incapable of keeping their hands off each other, went from being so happy to so godforsakenly miserable. Cianfrance stages their unpleasant last months together with such exceptionally visceral flair that they could have stood alone as the sole basis of the movie. (The moment when Cindy asks for a divorce feels so real that the combination of frustration, sadness, and vulnerability that banded together to make her reach that point of catharsis virtually explodes.)
But seeing Dean and Cindy fall in love makes the knowing of their looming split all the more heartbreaking. How can people who once cared for one another so tenderly suddenly find themselves feeling empty, alone, tired? We'd be skeptical of Cianfrance's methodologies if we weren't so positive that maybe this couple wasn't meant to be. We're never presented with a pair as perfect a match as Jesse and CÚline, as Bogie and Bacall.
We're instead given a duo of self-doubting young people who like the idea of love too much to truly understand what it is. Perhaps Cindy couldn't resist Dean's ticklish sense of humor, his blue-collar masculinity, or his exaggerated ways of trying to woe her. Perhaps Dean couldn't resist Cindy's girl-next-door beauty, her interest fueling shyness, or her needing to be saved. Perhaps the sex was too good for either to notice their otherwise superficial connection. When these attributes fade in preference of growing older, nothing much brings them together anymore, and that realization could very well be the nudger that pushed them in the direction of their unhappiness.
That ambiguity, maddening as it can be, is piquant, if only because the opportunity to decide what really caused Dean and Cindy's failed jab at marriage thrillingly brings us to the center of the film. Cianfrance's dedication to dramatic naturalism (much of the dialogue is improvised) pays off, and Gosling and Williams (who prepared for their roles by renting a house together shortly before shooting) create one of the screen's most riveting couples. "Blue Valentine" is a wretched experience, but its strong characterizational hold prevents us from breaking away from the intense hypnotization that overwhelms us.
September 6, 2016
She lived in time working towards real goals and achievements, He lived in the present moment where he was in love, engulfed in her. He kept wanting that same peak of loves's mating call. He drank to keep that feeling. Her need was stability and strength. His need was to find and lose his self in her It was very sad.
September 4, 2016
Very depressing, realistic character study during a divorce. Not a fan of the ending, but I think that's the point here. Overall worth the watch- great performances by Gosling and Williams.
August 27, 2016
Blue Valentine is such a complete movie that has the power to touch all your emotion spectrum from start to end and it overwhelms you with a perfectly directed, and in my opinion one of the most realistic stories I've ever seen.
August 27, 2016
½ August 13, 2016
In a world full of love stories that have happy endings, this doomed romance stands out, but for no other reason than that, I failed to see what's so remarkable about it.
½ August 7, 2016
Blue Valentine is so well acted and crushing near the end, and it hangs it hat on being deceptively real amidst the gushy looking cover and title.
½ July 30, 2016
This emotionally gripping examination of a marriage on the rocks isn't always easy to watch, but Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling give performances of unusual depth and power.
July 20, 2016
best movie for a first date. it's pretty great also.
July 10, 2016
I love Ryan Gosling and his movies are usually great even when they are bad they are still kinda good... this movie I hate... mostly because his character was sooooooo painfully pathetic... The acting was great.. I don't feel they did a good job making us feel their love... this was a sad pathetic tale of a bad situation a lot of people find themselves in... 3 stars for acting... minus 2 stars for the lack of depth and emotional connection in the love story
June 27, 2016
This was a pretty good movie and I'm not such a guy for love stories but this was more Real to me. It cas a bit too long for my taste but that didn't affect the over-all experience....which was nice.
½ June 25, 2016
disturbing yet sadly sexy.
½ June 19, 2016
Poignant, powerfully acted and thought-provoking.
June 13, 2016
Really good movie. Amazing writing. Haven't seen a movie so well written in a while. Would have gotten a higher rating if it weren't so depressing. I think it's a tad too much.