Blue Valentine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Valentine Reviews

May 25, 2017
The closeness to real life is frightening and makes the movie hard to watch. An excellent portrayal of young love and the failings of a relationship due to the weight of real life. Some might find the movie slow paced and boring.
May 23, 2017
A gem of a film. Hard to take the reality it shows and a perfect blend of drama and romance. Gosling's performance can sometimes be mistaken by real feelings and emotions. Half the time you think you're watching a story unroll, and half the time you're believing in it all. w
May 8, 2017
Wow, this movie is brutal! This film depicts a real life marriage dissolving. This hit close to home so it tore me apart. This is the truth of relationships. Derek Cianfrance makes you feel like you are just a fly on the wall in their relationship. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams both deliver heartbreaking performances that will leave you broken at the end of this film.
April 15, 2017
This movie messed me up.
April 13, 2017
Visceral and so real. Won't be for everyone, but a great change of pace. One of my favourite movies of all time.
March 19, 2017
Did not enjoy this movie at all. Strange storyline with not much substance and depressing feel to it. Would not recommend.
½ March 14, 2017
Intercutting scenes from a fond romantic past and the marriage at the brink of sudden brutal death, Derek Cianfrance attempts to dissect an achingly complex relationship to understand his own parents' breakup. And, Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling deliver magnificent performances that simply rip hearts.
February 24, 2017
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????....???????
February 21, 2017
You have his name wrong in the description. It's Dean, not David.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B-
'Blue Valentine' may label itself as a love story, and whilst it technically is, don't go in expecting a sweet romance. Whilst the movie does suffer in terms of how the characters, in particular that of Cindy, keep changing their attitude towards people and the decisions they make, the performances are very good, as is the dialogue and direction. Certainly worth checking out.
February 9, 2017
Loved how it unfolded, interweaving the initial love story with a failing marriage
February 2, 2017
It was a good movie, but Cindy seemed to have a horrible attitude towards Dean for no reason.
January 24, 2017
Blue Valentine is a good diverge of regular romance stories that includes a snappy screenplay, good direction and brilliant acting. Cianfrance knows when to apply humour (which works to great affect due to Goslings brilliant comedic timing in particular) and when you make the tone more serious. Ryan Gosling is fantastic, he's almost playing two different characters, one charming and playful, the other unstable and kind of childish. Michelle Williams' character seems to always be moody apart from about 10 minutes of the film but she plays it well. Cianfrance trusts his audience with the film and allows us to figure things out for ourselves without telling us why things are as they are straight away. Switching between the two time zones is a little bit frustrating though as it changed the part of the story right when I was getting into the current one a couple of times towards the beginning. The only other problem I have is a spoiler related one so I'll put it below and you can read if you want, or not if you haven't seen it yet.

They never properly mention whose child Frankie is. I think Dean knew it wasn't his but you never actually see any proper reaction and his relationship is so close to Frankie that I couldn't be one-hundred percent sure.
January 17, 2017
I usually hate romance movies. They are fake, stupid and leave people with unrealistic expectations of real relationships. Blue Valentine is the opposite of all that and that's why its so good. This movie is about the demise of a marriage, so people in rock solids relationships may not be able to relate.

Action films I can understand being over the top because they are usually works of fiction. Romantic films usually deal with real human drama but always gets it wrong and are usually just plain terrible. You don't need to be fake to get great human drama. The Notebook literally celebrated having an affair, which is about as backwards as it gets. Blue Valentine is so authentic it is scary.

Real people do act like the Blue Valentine characters. I've experienced situations from the film which made it all the more powerful to watch. They show the characters upbringing which clearly lay out why the characters behave the way they do.

The flashbacks in this film are exceptionally done. They mirror the beginning of their relationship to the beginning of the end of their relationship.

Emotionally gripping, well-acted, with a wonderful score, Blue Valentine is a great film.
½ January 16, 2017
A realistic portrait of a relatioship, it has some really beautiful moments and it's a great emotional film, with an expert direction. The ending along with the credits are a tear-maker.
½ January 11, 2017
This is a very interesting movie, a true love story, like normal people. it goes beyond the stereotipes. Michelle and Ryan have a truly amazing chemistry. Filmed in 16mm and written almost 8 years before it was shot, this is a very mature film that was done on a small budget, heavely improvised, with natural lightning. The outcome is fantastic. A must see for it's uniqueness.
January 7, 2017
The feels. Depressing and emotional, about what happens to wounded souls in love and marriage.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Disturbingly heartbreaking yet all the more compelling for it, Blue Valentine examines the brutally honest messiness of love with this complex portrait of 2 young people and their relationship as it evolves and then devolves, and it's extremely well-acted by the two stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams.
December 23, 2016
Simple and brilliant and sad and unforgettable, and 5 days later I am still thinking about them and about their song