Blue Valentine Reviews

• Nov 15, 2020

Heart-breaking portrayal of a marriage well past the expiration date. Brutal and uncomfortable in many places, but an honest portrayal of what a relationship can become.

• Oct 10, 2020

I found the film very exaggerated

I found the film very exaggerated

• Aug 07, 2020

"Blue Valentine" is a beautifully complicated drama that conveys mixed emotions and perplexing events while delivering breathtaking scenarios leaving viewers in astonishment. The acting and directing are proficient. The story is emotionally moving and I think no words can specifically explain it cause it's supposed to be complicated because it's love. But be careful as it can blind you to the reality forthcoming an unfortunate end none of us ever wished.

• Jul 28, 2020

Solid film, great performances.

Solid film, great performances.

• Jul 23, 2020

Un'esperienza particolarmente deprimente che non offre nessun tipo di speranza. La visione del regista e il suo sguardo alla vita sono chiari fin da subito, con una trama intensa e praticamente mono-direzionale. Il film sfrutta tutti i mezzi possibili, tra cui camera mossa e molto ravvicinata, per far trasparire questa idea di amore e matrimonio particolarmente demoralizzante del regista, e il risultato riesce in modo molto deciso a soddisfare tutte le premesse iniziali.

• Jul 14, 2020

Director Derek Cianfrance's breakthrough direction prompted by his own examination on the formation then fading of love is quite an effective masterfully realistic art, whereas the true emotional result occurs at the end, finely powered by Gosling and Williams's own respective rejuvenated breakthroughs through improvising deflective magnetism. But with all the depth shown, it rather complicates the personal search for answers when it evidently swerved from anything romantically true which contributed majorly as a fading factor, therefore providing an extent to how deep it was directed and acted. (B+)

• Jul 01, 2020

Blue Valentine Pros: Outstanding Acting Fantastic Directing Phenomenal Screenplay Great Cinematography Magnificent Editing Terrific Pacing Explores its themes in a emotionally devastating and realistic manner Strong chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams Good Musical Score & Soundtrack Superb Storytelling Cons: None Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)

• Jun 20, 2020

Going into this movie I knew it would be great. Before watching this I watched the place beyond and I didn't like it that much because his directing style doesn't match an action flick, but it does match a romantic movie. The acting is spectacular. Gosling and Williams have great chemistry for a movie where they aren't supposed to have much chemistry because it is a dysfunctional marriage movie. In my opinion this movie is a little better than marriage story because it goes into the marriages past and their good old days which is really interesting. It delves into the idea that true love isn't eternal that sometimes love fades, which is what marriage story to me was lacking. There are a little problems because the side characters are pretty one dimensional except for one and his problem is that he evolves so much in time, but we don't get to see it. Either they forgot about that character's tendencies or they didn't want to add his character growth to the runtime, and I understand that. The ending though is the best part of the movie, it really is unsatisfying but in a good way. I heavily recommend this movie. It deserves a 88%.

• Jun 14, 2020

The performances are fantastic and the story heartbreaking. Sometimes a bit slow but the film is a must see for the performances alone.

• Jun 08, 2020

Solid acting and writing but what I appreciated most was the simple, stripped back style and the fragmented narrative, which helped explain the motivations of the two leads in a more stimulating way. 7.5/10