Blue Valentine Reviews

• Sep 11, 2019

I kept waiting for them to explain why Michelle Williams came off as so depressed during the time she was supposed to be in love, or waiting for something at all to happen. I don't get the hype, this movie was really boring.

• Jul 20, 2019

Thanks to tremendous acting and a realistic take on a lengthy relationship, this is a fantastic movie.

• Jul 18, 2019

This movie blew me away. Phenomenal performances from Ryan & Michelle. I've watched all the interviews of Derek Cianfrance on youtube and it's helped me realize why this movie was so good. One of the greatest love stories I've ever watched - the romance that blossomed was so warm and lovely that the decline you watch initially sinks deeper and deeper into something emotionally ripping. BRAVO.

• Jul 14, 2019

I was very frustrated with the female lead. I didn't understand her. Gosling's character did everything in his power to fix the marriage and she only pushed him away. This love story was one-sided and it never seems like she truly loved him. What was she so unhappy about?

• Jul 09, 2019

Highly emotional. It is so cruel and real about what actual love is.

Highly emotional. It is so cruel and real about what actual love is.

• Jul 08, 2019

Heart-breaking on so many levels. Now we can see why these two leads have become such important working actors. The love was there.

• Mar 24, 2019

A poignant expose carried by great screenwriting and strong performances by the leads. Above all else, it convinced me that marriage is hard and feelings change - I just wish the take home message made me less sad.

• Nov 29, 2018

Dean (Ryan Gosling) strums the strings of his ukulele to the pitter patter of Cindy's (Michelle Williams) tap-dancing feet, singing "You Always Hurt the Ones You Love" by The Mills Brothers , frolicking among the hustle of New York City as they fall for each other. However, Blue Valentine is not a love story: it's about the surrender of one's heart to another and the emotional descent once we lose grasp of love. It is one of the most truthful, tragic depictions of a relationship crumbling and arguably features the best performance by Gosling to date, perfectly capturing a man who gives up his life for someone else and attempts to salvage the irreparable cracks within his relationship. The explicit realism carved into each frame, juxtaposing the couple falling in and out of love, and it's deeply personal narrative smothers you with a constant sense of underlying dread, eventually leaving you to drown in uncertainty and hopelessness about the nature of love and marriage. The loss and desperation one feels clinging to unrequited love is perfectly illustrated through Gosling's and Williams' dialogue, painting heartbreak from both perspectives and the film rewards multiple viewings-often meaning something starkly different depending on the mindset you bring to it. Never for the faint of heart, always interesting, and an imperative viewing for those of us who embrace all facets of love, including the brooding darkness it may lead us to.

• Nov 06, 2018