Bobby Deerfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bobby Deerfield Reviews

June 13, 2016
Al Pacino as a conceited race car driver. This drama is messy and has little to offer.
May 27, 2015
This is Terrible! Everything from the acting, pacing and story was just awkward. This is a passion project that probably looked good on paper. The biggest problem is that everyone looks so bored. It's hard to get into a movie when the people involved in it seem to be on auto-pilot.
February 17, 2015
Not much of a racing story, but a good, and touching film.
½ February 13, 2014
More solemn than cheery, this '77 romance of a man who discovers life through death has many perks: the gorgeous European locations, Guisin's touching score and another good turn from Pacino. However, it's often rambling and slow.
September 4, 2012
99 minute version would've been enough, but I saw the 124 minute version instead. Underrated for sure. It's not brilliant, but it's great. I'm glad I saw it finally.
July 5, 2012
what will you do tomorrow? :((((
February 5, 2012
mentioned by James wolcott
½ September 11, 2011
The first hour is fantastic. Really, really great. The second hour is embarrassingly bad. The story just falls apart completely. Damn shame. P.S. the part in Talledega where Will Ferrell thinks he's on fire, they got it from this movie. Not stole it, it's just clear they got the idea from this. But anyway, disappointing movie, but worth seeing for the first hour.
March 7, 2011
I saw it when it came out in the '70's,thought it was cool then.But didn't his lover die in the end?
February 7, 2011
Not actually to my taste, saw Al Pacino in better movies.
January 8, 2011
Not a happy flick and yawn. Surprised to find that some people actually liked this movie. Lush cinematography and grand locations in the Alps and a bigtime star actor like Pacino (who seems to be in an emotional coma for much of the flick whether it was intentional or not) can't overcome the inert direction by Sydney Pollack, who made great films, just not this one. The biggest disappointment is that there is very little of the Formula One racing we (at least I) yearn to see. That's an irony I just can't take. And it turns into this depressing straight drama with as awkward and as embarassing a moments as you could ever hope to see Al Pacino play. No wonder he didn't want to talk much about it in his interview book with Lawrence Grobel except for being endearing to Pollack for letting him get away with it. Al Pacino, the person, rarely says anything bad about anybody, and I hate to tell the truth here for fear he might see it, so sorry Al. You said you were boring in real life and this movie is closest to you at that time, so there you go! The one thing I can say that is constructive is that in some ways it reminded me of Mann's novel The Magic Mountain with Pacino as a vague Hans Castorp and Marthe Keller, the one who's dying who actually tries to bring some life into the picture, as a haughty and enigmatic Madamme Chauchat slamming the figurative annoying door around Deerfield catching his attention and upsetting his comatose life.
August 4, 2010
Pacino was excellent coming out of his bad-ass roles.... kindda different.
½ July 28, 2010
Although I am a fan of Al Pacino and Sydney Pollack, this film was somewhat of a disappointment. The sets and scenery were beautiful with romantic countryside. I some parts the movie kind of dragged along and the acting by Al Pacino was certainly not up to his usual standard of talent. This could have been a wonderful movie, with great story line, if some of the scenes were taken out. I did not at all like Pacino's impersonation of Mae West and thought his acting was rather stiff and wooden when confronting Lillian at her apartment with Mae West impersonation. Otherwise this would have been a fantastic movie.
March 25, 2010
Utterly boring. How could Pacino and Pollack get mixed up in a failure like this?! Didn't even make it halfway through!
October 27, 2009
How to see Europe on a $2 video rental. Sydney Pollack's driection in this young-Pacino drama has its moments. Although, I think I would be hard pressed to find ANYone with a camera in France & Italy and not make it look beautiful. But the scenery is fantastic.

An American race car driver sees a wreck where a friend dies and he gets a little worried about death. Visiting his friend in the hospital, he meets another woman who tags along for the ride. She was a patient, but we don't know why. She's fucking nuts, that's for sure. There were romantic moments, but they were weak and they didn't amount to anything.

At some point, she says to him, "I'm sorry you didn't scream with me. I'm sorry you didn't chase the balloon. I hope you find your rabbits." This is metaphor that alludes to previous scenes, which basically means: "I'm sorry that you're not more expressive, that you don't take more chances. I hope you find what you are afraid of." This is the kind of writing that permeates this film.

I don't know when the cliche started, but it's here. Lillian is overly expressive, artistic and outgoing. Bobbby is reserved, safe and sane and is somehow drawn to Miss Crazypants. At some point he even takes her to task, screams at her for her seeming indifference, and its just hollow. You can't get mad at her when she's acting in the way that you were intrigued by all along.

After that, it all just falls into scenes of romantic growth leading to the melodramatic ending.
½ August 3, 2009
too long and too boring. pollack certainly didn't make yet another trendy race movie. no, he made a pathetic melodrama about a dying wacko, and a control freak race-driver. one of the worst pollack works, and also one of the palest al pacino's performances. avoid this if you want to live.
½ May 22, 2009
Wow, Terrible Fim, I Wasn't Expecting Much And That's What I Got. One Of Pollack's Worst Films. Just Overall Boring And Little To Work With. Even A Young Pacino Can't Save This Film.
May 2, 2009
This man is my hero and I adore this film.
March 10, 2009
Even though it's the most feminine role I've seen Pacino in, I can see some of his future badass in this film. It's not really a great story though. Outside of Pacino, there wasn't much in the way of entertainment for me in this, and you can find Pacino in much more entertaining movies. I'd pass unless you're a fan of Al Pacino (which I suppose if you have any interest in this at all, you probably are).