Brewster McCloud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brewster McCloud Reviews

September 15, 2015
a great movie that is many stories simultaneously. A message movie with a moral about rising to hights then falling into the pit of destruction.
August 30, 2015
I have no idea what this odd, offbeat dramedy is about. But I found it to be utterly fascinating and I would watch it over and over again just to understand it.
August 20, 2015
Comedically, Brewster McCloud expertly straddles the line between absurdism and reality and nails a very specific tone comparable to that of the great Putney Swope and Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice, filled with pop-culture references and ridiculous sight gags. As a narrative, it seems to be singularly preoccupied with the idea of human ambition being repeatedly undercut by our own shortcomings. It's not really necessary to attempt to engage it on that level, however; it works just as well when experienced passively.
May 27, 2015
Silly, goofy and surreal --- this cult movie carries a certain stupid charm.
April 7, 2014
I saw this film when I was very young and thought it was brilliant, saw it again as an old man and still thought it brilliant, but I don't really know why. Perhaps Altman was allowed, because of mash, to do what he fancied and avoided teh studio committees.
Loved it twice.
February 8, 2014
I think I just dislike Altman. I find his movies to just be dissonant and incoherent. Bummer since I love Bud Cort, and Shelley Duvall was great in this... and I'll give that the last 10 minutes are interesting, but for the most part I found myself looking at my watch.
January 14, 2014
One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, but I couldn't help enjoying the energy of Altman's absurd, satirical humor.
½ September 19, 2013
An excellent symbolic surreal exploration on human's self-restricting ways, true freedom, and the spirit of one boy who would die to live a dream that defies society's cages.
May 15, 2013
A timid boy named Brewster wishes he could be a bird, his quest to achieve flight is what makes up this oddball fairy tale of youthful rebellion, sexual politics& Wizard of Oz references
September 6, 2012
After the success of M*A*S*H (1970), Robert Altman quickly moved on, and went one better with this little seen and HUGELY underrated black comedy, it was hated by critics and it's own studio at the time, who were keen to bury the film and move on, but it's become a cult classic. It's absolutely insane and a true one-of-a-kind, the result could arguably even be Altman's best film. Set in Houston, Texas. It tells the story of an oddball, young recluse called Brewster McCloud (Bud Cort), who lives in an air-raid shelter in the Houston Astrodome, he dreams of flying, and is inventing a winged contraption so he can fly within the Astrodome. Meanwhile, there's a serial killer stalking Houston, and Lt. Frank Shaft (Michael Murphy) is brought in from San Francisco to investigate these murders, the victims all seem to be splattered with bird droppings, and Brewster ends up as a suspect in this case, is it him?? Or does his mysterious guardian angel Louise (Sally Kellerman) have something to do with them. This is probabily one of the best film of the 1970's, just such an odd little film, and it is very, very funny too. It's quirky and dark, but it's beautifully made. Bud Cort protrays Brewster with an eccentric innocence, and he's trying to realise his dream. It's also got some very quirky cameos in it, like Stacy Keach in make-up as a corrupt and racist old man, Rene Auberjonois as a lecturer turning into a bird, Margaret ('Wicked Witch of the West') Hamilton singing the Star Spangled Banner and Shelley Duvall, in her film debut, getting into a fast and hilarious car chase with Brewster. A sheer pleasure to watch, and you'll never forget the film in a hurry!! :D
July 24, 2012
If your Robert Altman how do you follow the success of MASH ?
Well you make a film so totally off the wall ,its on the floor by the wall and this film is one heck of a movie.

Altman takes the story of Brewster McCloud a boy who yearns to fly and grafts on references to the Wizard of Oz ,Bullit and god knows what else.

This is Altman at his freewheeling best and of course the cast is great as always ,Bud Cort who would latter star in the equally odd Harold and Maude is perfect as Brewster, Sally Kellerman plays Brewsters fairy Godmother and Michael Murphy gets to Channel Steve McQueen as San Fran cop Frank Shaft.

The plot also includes a series of bizzare murders where the only clue is bird droppings and a mad college Professor forgetting the first lines of the film and slowly turning into a bird and Stacey Keach made up to look like a 100 year old man as Brewsters boss.

Add to that the credits re starting when a choir go out of key and all the cast turning up as Circus performers at the end and its now wonder the studio were totally baffled.

A film as mad as this would never get made in todays money driven climate and it proves once again just how good a director Altman was when he was on top form .
½ May 27, 2012
A Cult movie for the Birds--Oddball Altman outing!!
½ March 9, 2012
Eccentric and haphazard yet surprisingly engaging film. It's all over the place--part murder mystery, part allegory, part slapstick comedy. Wonderful performances and a pervasive whimsy carry it through even the weak moments. Not something I'll ever need to see again but definitely worth a watch, you've likely never seen anything else like it.
February 29, 2012
these are myths for a modern world, even though we don't have all readily have shamans to welcome us into a transcendent reality--we have great movies and moments (shared) of insight and awareness!!!
November 12, 2011
Altman's loose-limbed early style is perfect for this kind of fantasia. Through an aloof camera we follow Brewster's surreal journey, and this detached observation lends a verisimilitude to impossibile things. The movie culminates in one of the most bracing "70's endings" in my experience.
October 27, 2011
Altman's most experimental work.
May 26, 2011
I LOVE this film! The best of all those films that put "loss of innocence" as the center theme. Pacing, humor, cast - all perfect (for me!). Brewster McCloud and MASH are the two-top if you put Altman's works in the soccer formation.
½ March 9, 2011
What an awesome offbeat movie.
January 19, 2011
This zany movie is fun to watch and has a great cast of characters!