Bride Wars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bride Wars Reviews

November 26, 2016
i will wait until dollar show
October 20, 2016
This movie is the original Frozen but better. Not sure why it's not 90% on rotten tomatoes
August 12, 2016
Is funny and I always like movies filmed in New York but you can wait to see it on video
½ July 30, 2016
Meh!!! While more entertaining than I thought, it was still highly predictable and so cliche-ish. I'm definitely not the type of audience for these films...I HATE predictability....
½ June 11, 2016
This is a film meant for the wealthy. Plain and simple. If you're struggling to make ends meet, upon your wedding you'll have no friends and no prospects. The only happy ending is if you marry into money, since the character who wins both their hearts we get all of a couple minutes with, less with the eventual prince who gets Cinderella's heart. Keep this film. It was mildly amusing until they consigned the poor one to the trash heap of life.
½ May 29, 2016
This movie is utter garbage.
March 27, 2016
perfect fare for a movie with my 11 year old niece.
February 28, 2016
What happens when two childhood BFFs (Best Friends Forever) share a lifelong dream of each having the perfect storybook New York City Plaza Hotel June wedding are mistakenly scheduled for the same day, can they share in harmony?

The answer is apparently not. This mind numbingly dull chick flick not only lacks stamina but is completely devoid of sass and attitude. Even though the concept of friend destroying friend over bride destroying groom is fresh, the idea is squandered in this strained predictable comedy by its lazy writing, miscalculated acting, bad timing and cavalier directing.

Bride wars with its marginally sexist undertones tries to highlight the so called fact that all brides-to-be are materialistic, extravagant and wasteful bridezillas who will stop short of nothing to obtain that one perfect day. Obviously produced before the global economic downturn this film comes across as slightly insensitive and ill-timed.

BFFs Liv (Kate Hudson, co-producer) a take-no-prisoners, my-way-or-the-highway man-eating attorney with an distressingly distracting pudding bowl fringe and Emma (Anne Hathaway) a submissively demure school teacher will little to no backbone live delightfully in there chummy ignorance.

When both girls receive their little blue tiffany boxes, (well one receives and one demands) they are destined to live out their dreams of hiring exclusive wedding planner Marion St Claire (Candice Bergen) to make their fantasy June weddings come true. Luckily they went to the right person and were able to secure two separate dates, both in June at the ritzy Plaza Hotel location.

With the dates booked and impending bliss only months away, Liv and Emma receive an unexpected summons from Marion where they are informed that due to a minor clerical error both bookings are now on the same day same time with no option of change. As the girls are determined to be each other's maid-of-honour a compromise on location must be met, but who will submit.

Since childhood these two diametrically opposed idealistic schoolgirls have provided one another with personality balance in order to accomplish their goals. However, when faced with the prospect of one having to forfeit their perfect wedding the gloves come off and neither wants to back down.

The following hour consists of an overwhelming barrage of backstabbing and sabotage. On a rampage, the girls unleash their vengeance in a shower of Junk food gift baskets, exuberant spray tanning and creative hair dying (this incident sadly is a direct rip off of Hudson's mother Goldie Hawn's first co-producing role in 1980's Private Benjamin)

Leaving the girls torn, shattered and looking oddly reminiscent of an umpa-lumpa and smurf the movie turns on a more sombre note when the girls finally begin to realise that surely their friendship is worth more than one perfect day.

A far cry from Hudson's notable breakout role in Almost Famous and Hathaway's forte for dramatics in Brokeback Mountain this movie leaves you wondering why either actress's would accept such meaninglessly mundane and shallow roles.

The only glimpse of hope and humour injected with any calculated precision is by two strong supporting actresses, screen and stage veteran Kristen Johnston, (3rd Rock From the Sun) who plays an over bearing eccentric colleague of doormat Emma and the grossly underutilised sitcom icon Bergen.

A noticeable missing element is the distinct lack of a strong male role. Delivering weak and rightly terrified boyfriends (Steve Howey and Chris Pratt) regrettably have the stage presence and personality of door knobs.

The Verdict: Notwithstanding scathing reviews, Bride Wars will thrive in the usual Sex in the City style box office success. Relying heavily on repetitive Vera Wang jokes and tedious communication mishaps this movie is destined to living out is short life expectancy in the $6.98 bin in our local DVD stores.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 23/01/2009
February 11, 2016
such a frustrating film
February 9, 2016
this looks soo funny!
½ February 1, 2016
It was okay. Mostly predictable syrup, nowhere near as good as something like "My Best Friend's Wedding" (which I love). Some very funny scenes and nice little awkward moments, but mostly meh. Too bad.
January 27, 2016
I think the reason I dislike this film so much is because it is so awful but the fact that I'm currently planning my own wedding might have helped. Vacuous people being nasty to each other for 90 mins with no real pay off, not my idea of a great film.
January 24, 2016
I want to see this really bad!
January 14, 2016
-5 stars. A man is responsible for this story. If his writing is an extension of his personality, then he is one of the most profoundly misogynistic woman haters this side of Spanky from Our Gang. How this ever got a major studio release is simply beyond me. 10% is far too high. Candice Bergen deserves better. Everyone else deserves worse.
November 16, 2015
Warrior Wedding
Have you ever dreamt of having your wedding on the same day as your best friend? Yeah I didn?t think so. The story of two brides, best friends, and a mistaken wedding on the same day all begins in the movie Bride Wars, staring Anne Hathaway as Emma and Kate Hudson as Liv. Vera Wang dresses; best friends, soul mates, large cakes, beautiful decorations, and funky music are all a dream come true. As these two brides go to their dream wedding designation, the Plaza, to schedule their weddings together, it quickly escalates into a war. Having both their wedding being pushed into one day in June, the closely BFF?s turn into fast enemies.
Tampering with each other?s weddings, the two brides go to great lengths to ruin the other brides wedding. Starting from an ?accidental? hair dye mix-up, to sending out fake baby shower invitations, to sending fatty chocolates to gain weight, and much more. This romance-comedy film turns two normal BFF?s into Best Enemies, war of the brides. A wedding of their dreams, that turns into a wedding of their fears, but all in a corky, and funny comedy. The two best friends manage to go from best friends to enemies, to back to being best friends. This is a great movie to enjoy with your family, at a sleepover, or even simply watching it by yourself. It is filled with lots of laughter, romance, and even emotional tears.
October 4, 2015
it won't let me watch it any advice on how to do it ~?
September 26, 2015
It had its funny moments especially with Anne Hathaway however it wasn't either stars best work
June 28, 2015
Girl Movie ... When can we go??
June 2, 2015