Carry On Cowboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carry On Cowboy Reviews

½ July 30, 2016
A just under average Carry On film, different from most of the others, Starts slow but gets pretty funny but not the kind of humour these films usually bring.
March 4, 2016
One of the best carry-on films I've seen. Sid James is firmly estabilishing himself as an ever-present from this point on and Kenneth Williams shows that he does have more strings to his bow that what I've seen before. Charles Hawtree is hilarious and the whole film is pretty funny too.
December 25, 2015
I thought this Carry On was great! Preceding Blazing Saddles by a number of years, this film skewers a lot of cowboy movie cliches. Sidney James is always great, but it's Kenneth Williams who totally steals the show here.
½ September 29, 2015
We all got big ones down there.

Stodge City is taken over by a ruthless and heartless outlaw named Rumpo Kid. He anoints himself sheriff and has his own unique way of managing the law. A US Marshall is sent to deal with Rumpo Kid's unorthodox ways. The daughter of the man Rumpo Kid killed to become sheriff. Things are about to get interesting.

"My intimate friends call me ding dong."

Gerald Thomas, director of The Second Victory, Carry on Columbus, Roommates, Beware of the Children, Chain of Events, and Circus Friends, delivers Carry on Cowboys. The storyline for this picture is very fun and parody funny in a Mel Brooks way. The acting is solid and the cast includes Sidney James, Jim Dale, Bernard Bresslaw, and Percy Herbert.

"Cowgirl? If I called you that I'd only be half right."

I came across this recently on Netflix and thought it would be an interesting film to add to the wish list. It was fun and a well done western parody and the action and script is solid. I recommend seeing this movie if you're a fan of the western genre.

"I'm your little ding dong."

Grade: B-
½ March 17, 2015
takes a swing at western clichés.
August 25, 2014
This Carry On relies far too much on the series' returning jokes and fails to make an amusing tale from the western influence.
July 10, 2014
Just didn't have the laughs.
July 23, 2011
Much more entertaining than i thought it would be. And more of a story.
January 8, 2011
My childhood favourite.
½ November 8, 2010
still very funny,with weird characters,decent plot & gags
July 20, 2010
Mildly amusing parody of classic westerns.
½ February 10, 2010
All of the Carry On films get 4 or 5 stars from me.
They have been a much-loved part of my life ever since I can remember.
December 19, 2009
Carry On spoofs the Wild West. It's OK but not one of the funniest I've seen.
October 28, 2009
quite funny, sid james is the best. jim dale does a good job as Mr P.Knut and kenneth williams is awesome as usual. the put on american accents are kinda annoying. ok, but not as good as "carry on camping, or carry on don't lose your head".
July 13, 2009
One of the funniest westerns ever
May 13, 2009
For the 11th film in Britain's best comedy series, they pushed the boat out a bit with the production. They took on the Western genre, and didn't even have to go to America to shoot it, (opting to use Chobham Common in Surrey and Pinewood Studios), and the end result is very effective, and it's alot more better than most westerns ever made. It's one of the funniest of the series, with good jokes and hilarious performances. Set in Stodge City, it has the notorious Rumpo Kid (Sid James) coming to town, he has Sheriff Earp (Jon Pertwee) killed, so Judge Burke (Kenneth Williams, always hilarious) calls for a Marshall to be sent from Washington. However, mistaken identity follows, when they send the wrong type of Marshall, this one is English sanitation engineer Marshal P. Knutt (Jim Dale), who is sent along to 'clean up' Stodge City. Judge Burke learns of Knutt's true identity, but he still thinks he's the man for the job. It's a very funny entry in the series, and it does well with spoofing the western genre. With smutty double-entendres and good slight gags, and then there's Charles Hawtrey playing Indian chief Big Heap with a camp English accent, ("Oh, helloooo!!" :P) One of the best Carry On films, well worth a look.
½ May 9, 2009
Not as good as the other Carry On films I've seen, theres a few laughs here and there but definatly not enough to make you carry on laughing from start to finish, I only watched it 2day and it's the first time I've seen but it's defo not one of the best Carry On films ever made... but worth a watch because you might have a different opinion if you haven't seen it.
May 9, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie..i think that jim dale, kenneth williams, sid james, sidney james play good roles/parts throughout this movie..i think that the director of this comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...i think that this is a good comedy movie 2 watch n its an enjoyable movie 2 watch
March 17, 2009
need to see all the carry on films still.
March 3, 2009
A mistaken sewage worker gets called in as a local sheriff in order to put a stop to local bad guy 'The Rumpo Kid'