Cemetery Junction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cemetery Junction Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
Humor and heart abound in this coming of age home run! It is thoughtful, inspiring, and poignant, entirely deserving of my very enthusiastic recommendation!
November 6, 2015
Anne Reid...So funny !
½ May 17, 2015
Mainstream British drama with big ambitions but useless execution!
February 22, 2015
* The trio of Christian Cooke, Jack Doolan & Tom Hughes work really well together.
* Depiction of the Taylor family gives the film a nice grounding, makes the film relatable.
* Emotionally rewarding conclusion to the film, typical of Gervais/Merchant projects
½ August 18, 2014
Gervais is actually in very little of this film, which is fine since the lead Christian Cooke is actually fabulous. The friendship between the three boys was a good backdrop to the plot and had decent life lessons (family, self confidence, etc). Nice romantic storyline as well.
May 4, 2014
Handful of great laughs, but super boring otherwise. When I see Gervais and Merchant in control of a project, I expect a lot. This film ONLY shined when they were on screen... and that was maybe 10 minutes.
½ February 28, 2014
good period piece comedy
½ January 20, 2014
Grim and gritty as i expected. Didn't enjoy the Ralph Fiennes character. Thought he was a bit too cliche. Especially the newspaper breakfast scene seemed corny to me. The character that i really was most interested in was Bruce, and his relationship with his father. Enjoyable enough
January 7, 2014
Some days ago I watched "The meaning of life", but after watching "Pirate Radio" and this film "Cemetery Junction" now I understand better what it means. A smart British comedy. Again the DVD was a courtesy of the British Library in Lima
December 1, 2013
Bit of a pedestrian effort from the Gervais/Merchant team this one. The cliches keep stacking up around the few interesting characters that populate this movie. Unfortunately the central three guys are not the interesting ones but the ones with the cliches. Rewrite!
½ November 23, 2013
Gervais + Merchant = win.
½ November 1, 2013
Ignore the bad reviews. It's a sweet film about escapism that nails the attitudes of the folk of the 70s.
½ October 6, 2013
This beautifully made, lovely film is funny, touching and made with both love and positivism. Although almost everything is the whole film is quite predictable and the characters all lack depth and finesse, it's the swell kind of predictability that simply works. For instance, you know from A to Z the fat guy is gonna end up with the ugly yet interested girl, yet their romance development remains interesting to look at. You'll see the one-dimensionality of each character and simply decide to ignore it, because the characters are still fresh, vibrant, alive and well-meant. The bad guys remain bad guys, the good guys remain good guys and a few well-placed interesting twist and turns do the rest. It's heartwarming and believable. A must-watch!
September 22, 2013
Gervais, Merhcant and co deliver spectacularly with this warm and charming coming of age tale.
August 11, 2013
It's a pretty typical coming of age story, but it's light years better than The Invention of Lying.
June 30, 2013
I liked it more that I expected , very colorful characters.
½ May 3, 2013
do i become "dead from the neck up" putting my time in for the next 40 years, or do i go after it? makes for a good story, and a good movie. not your typical Gervais movie tho. some great funny stuff, but lots more too.
April 26, 2013
It's got a few laughs and a great soundtrack but this coming of age film offers nothing new to the genre.
April 24, 2013
A very good film from Gervais and Merchant.