Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

January 19, 2017
A peace of art. Camera is sensational, story is awsome. Everything from the begining to the end is perfect.
½ January 12, 2017
Nota: 7.5/10 - 3.7/5
January 3, 2017
Absolutely impressed. This movie is amazing because it displays the events that go on in the heads of every high school dude on earth who wishes he had powers. This is what we would do with them.
December 30, 2016
(5: Loved It, 4: Really Liked It, 3: Liked It, 2: Didn't Like It, and 1: Hated It.)
December 26, 2016
It has a strong theme about child abuse. But also has good performances and great visuals, and Josh Trank the producer of "Big Fan" has made a good found-footage film.
½ December 9, 2016
I need to watch this again but i remember it being great.
December 6, 2016
A highly successful employment of the found footage trope, Chronicle eases you into the fantastical plot with extremely realistic characters.
½ December 4, 2016
A dark and fantastically written super villain origin story.

Three high school students make an incredible discovery, leading to their developing uncanny powers beyond their understanding. As they learn to control their abilities and use them to their advantage, their lives start to spin out of control, and their darker sides begin to take over.

Josh Trank deserves a lot of praise for creating one of the best stories in the found footage genre, and one that will be memorable for years to come. The story here was so simple yet so perfectly executed, with so many simple moments that made for big moments. The story was lighthearted and fun, but it was completely dark and tragic at the same time. Very few movies can pull off a blend of that caliber and it should be recognized here.

The actors were my favorite part about this movie, bringing the script to life and making certain parts stand out even more. You can't teach chemistry and naturalism to actors, it's just something that has to come. Dane DeHaan was great as the lead, bringing this dark and intense emotion that accompanied a relatable character. Alex Russell was great as the guy who kind of kept things under control, and Michael B. Jordan was a fun and exhilarating supporting role. Everyone here had and still has bright futures in acting, and it was great to see them here.

The visuals were okay for the most part. In a movie with this low of a budget, I understand why some aspects were really limited visually. However, that doesn't stray from the fact that the ideas and concepts were all there, and the film would've been lost without some of them.

Like I said earlier, this is one of the best found footage movies I've ever seen. Actually, it's one of my favorites. It's so well done and it feels like a real found footage movie. They stray from soundtracks and other implausible found footage tropes that often ruin the gimmick, and this movie does a great job.

In the end, "Chronicle" is a fantastic found footage horror film and should last through the decades.
December 3, 2016
A found-footage film yet not a part of the horror genre, Chronicle separates itself with amazing camera techniques and a compelling story throughout. Centered around three high school boys who gain telekinesis abilities, this film turns into a villain origin story as we see these characters grow darker and progress from kids having fun to dangerous individuals who are not bound by science and don't answer to anyone. The fact that the film doesn't have a soundtrack and contrasts so much from beginning compared to end, plus seeing Michael B. Jordan shine in one of his first major roles makes Chronicle so interesting to watch.
½ November 30, 2016
Sharp dialogue and deft performances make Chronicle more than just another found-footage flick.
November 12, 2016
A good twist on the super-hero found footage film genre
November 12, 2016
this is actually from the same director as fant4stic. for a low budget found footage movie the effects are pretty good. each kid has their own backstory. Matt wants to help people with his powers and he was the hero. Steve wants to use his powers for fun and was the anti-hero. Andrew wanted to use his powers to hurt people and he was the villain. sometimes during this film, I actually forgot it was a found footage movie. this concept is genius and it surprised me in every possible way.

Owens grade: A+
½ November 6, 2016
Missed this on first release 4-years ago. Found footage, and Superheroes have been done to death for me; so this is an interesting refresh. An interesting and enjoyable take on superhero powers coming to suburbia. Ignore the cheap CGI and go with the ride.
½ October 27, 2016
This film makes telekinesis look boring, a feat which I once thought impossible. The three power wielding teenagers use their gifts to build Lego towers and play baseball for about 3/4 of the film. The last 1/4 of the film is wasted on a lackluster ending. Believe me when I say it hurts to watch this film. The special effects are sub par and the plot is pretty much non-existent. I wanted to like this film, I really did. I learned that even though a film has an awesome trailer, it can still suck.
October 8, 2016
Wow that was a trip and a half of a movie awesome Visual effects are so good and real They should do a Super Hero movie or Akira it will be so well done You have to watch this
October 4, 2016
This movie captures the realism of the teenage years while incorporating mostly believable supernatural elements. Instead of focusing on why these kids obtained certain powers, it is an interesting character-study on the outcome of their having the powers. A nicely executed angle. The last quarter of the movie switches tone considerably and we end up with a final flourish of action-sequences and special effects that aren't really necessary.
September 30, 2016
has relatable characters and more entertainment than you would've thought this movie contained.
September 22, 2016
Chronicle is the directorial debut of Josh Trank who ended up directing and writing Fantastic Four, which turned out to be a colossal disaster, and it stars Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, and Michael B. Jordan in a found-footage film about three senior students that found something underground that caused them to have superpowers, but while time goes on where two of them are using it for small stuff, one of them is thinking of using them for something else. This is honestly the most watched film that I've seen that's a found-footage film considering that it's not a horror film, which is a very different approach than the typical found-footage films, and it's kind of a superhero film, which except for Unbreakable, I really haven't seen a superhero film that's not based on any comic books, so it's entirely new on its own thing. So with this, Chronicle remains one of my favorite found-footage films still. With a bunch of newcomers in this, they were great in this as I find it believable that they are good friends. The found footage they used makes sense, and the way it transcends from one camera to another was really clever and would make sense that way. The characters are three dimensional in this that you feel really sorry for one of the kids. The special effects look really good, and the fact that they use their powers for small things is honestly what I would've done to do if I have powers. The script by Max Landis is great at understanding what high school life is like, and also what one of the characters have to go through for not only school, but also family issues. The last act of the film is a lot of fun to watch with a lot of nice shots that make seem like a movie and not a found-footage one. Luckily for this one, it's one of the less jittery found-footage films that I can think of, so it won't really make any people have motion sickness, but there are some scenes that'll probably turn people away who doesn't like getting sick in terms of the camera going around. With that said, Chronicle is a fantastic film that I'm a bit glad that Josh Trank and Max Landis got more careers for their films, even if it's not at their highest yet.
September 17, 2016
Pretty damn freakin' good. The direction is great and the acting is excellent. A refreshing view of the superhero genre that is very far away from what we are used to.
½ September 16, 2016
This does two things. Presents a beautiful super villain story. And more importantly, what would you do if you had super powers? -4 Brians applauding.