Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

September 21, 2017
Future cult classic. Every indie filmmaker should aspire to achieve that much bang for the buck.
September 1, 2017
It's very short, but feels way longer, in the best way possible! Everyone's performances are great, and the direction is phenomenal. The writing is awesome from the director, and as well as one of my personal favorites, Max Landis! The cinematography is also really great, and I love how nothing can look like it's being recorded from a regular, probably set up on a tripod or something, camera. (Sorry about the that minor spoiler. But some of you may not even notice it!) I really liked how long the end was, and how raw it was. I love found footage, or just kind of documentary shot style things, and this is definitely up there as one of my favorites! (I think mockumentary is reserved for comedy? Or maybe just The Office, lol! I mean, no one's done it better, at least TV show wise!) The only for sure one I can think of is Project X, which is my favorite movie of all time. The 2012 one, by the way. Also, I mean my favorite movie, not the best movie. That's Se7en. I guess it's mostly because I can't re-watch Se7en as much as I can Project X? Oh, who cares, you probably don't, lol! Anyways, excellent movie, with tons of re-watch value! I think I've seen both cuts of the movie, but no matter what, I'd recommend the director's cut, because it's only four minutes longer. I'm not sure of exactly what is added, but I can say with a pretty good confidence that probably none of it is bad. Also, forgot to say that this is kind of like Heroes the movie! (Also, if you liked any season of that, especially Season 1, then you'll probably like this. There's the slight chance you may not because of due to the fact that it's just one movie, only three main characters, and a lot darker.)
August 24, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies because it hits on the hero movie but with a more realistic point-of-view, real human problems. Yes, the movie hits on dark and traumatic issues, but they are real to most people. The fantasy of the telekinetic powers adds that connection between the characters as well as peaks the interest for the viewers.
August 21, 2017
8/10 Good acting, descent plot and engaging, down-to-earth troubles of the protagonists. Pun intended.
August 6, 2017
Awesome film. Nice twist on the 'Superpowers' films that have gone before it. The home camera style helps the effects...looking more realistic, and more believable. Nicely acted by all, and a dark storyline well delivered. Really enjoyed....
August 1, 2017
One of my favorites.
July 26, 2017
This movie is amazing. The power of Telekinesis is amazing. My Favorite Character was Steve Montgomery Played by Michael B. Jordan. He was the best.
July 17, 2017
In this case, "found footage" is an excuse for laziness
½ July 11, 2017
What we have thought of heroes and these ones are totally different. I like that
July 10, 2017
Chronicle takes the found footage technique & uses it beautifully in the teenage melodrama/superhero worlds, opening with a heart-wrenching moment between the main character & his dad banging on his door. Through found sudden superpowers, we have some blatant parallels to puberty that work, & the teenage philosophizing is great for the characters. The effects are crisp, & the final battle is full of pathos & excitement. Trank's later meltdown is a shame...would so love to get more from this universe.
June 27, 2017
TV version. It was okay.
June 25, 2017
Led by an Oscar-worthy performance from Dane DeHaan, it's hard to believe Chronicle was Josh Trank's directorial debut. The found footage style is used to near-perfection, and the film as a whole is so good that I forgive Trank for making 2015's Fant4stic. The character-driven story is thrilling and engaging, and the final battle is heart-pounding and flawless. While the film could be better, it's honestly so good that it doesn't matter.
June 14, 2017
This movie was AWESOME!!
½ June 9, 2017
One of the most surprising films in a while, Chronicle utilises the found footage style format and the amazing performances from the 3 leads to create a brilliantly entertaining film with a conclusion that had me on the edge of my seat.
June 2, 2017
This movie felt like a fresh new spin on a topic that is not executed to the highest extent in most cases. The camera angles and filmography were excellent, and the acting was excellent the whole way through. In the beginning, it felt a little bit like satire but it got serious pretty quick. The green/blue screen effects fell a little short sometimes, but these shortcomings did not distract from the overall plot of the movie. The change in tone three quarters in the way in felt a little rushed in my opinion and it could've been fixed if the director would've let the movie run just a tad bit longer.
My final verdict is; that the movie plot and camera work was excellent and original, it felt a little cliche at times but it made up for it with some great scenes.
½ May 31, 2017
A dark, winding tale that depresses its viewers rather than entertaining them. Chronicle has good ideas, but utilizes them poorly.
May 28, 2017
First two acts are amazing but it's kinda lost me in the third. Good performances though, mainly from Dane DeHaan and Michael B. Jordan.
May 20, 2017
Very good graphics and amazing actors, I couldn't predict the storyline and it was exciting from the start to the end.
½ May 2, 2017
Ok. Not as good as Cloverfield though. Also, horrible effects for the movie. But still fine.
April 28, 2017
Really great movie, really liked the character development and story-line. If you're liked me and love the original twilight zone series, you'll like this movie.