Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

June 17, 2017
8/10 Good acting, descent plot and engaging, down-to-earth troubles of the protagonists. Pun intended.
June 14, 2017
This movie was AWESOME!!
½ June 9, 2017
One of the most surprising films in a while, Chronicle utilises the found footage style format and the amazing performances from the 3 leads to create a brilliantly entertaining film with a conclusion that had me on the edge of my seat.
June 2, 2017
This movie felt like a fresh new spin on a topic that is not executed to the highest extent in most cases. The camera angles and filmography were excellent, and the acting was excellent the whole way through. In the beginning, it felt a little bit like satire but it got serious pretty quick. The green/blue screen effects fell a little short sometimes, but these shortcomings did not distract from the overall plot of the movie. The change in tone three quarters in the way in felt a little rushed in my opinion and it could've been fixed if the director would've let the movie run just a tad bit longer.
My final verdict is; that the movie plot and camera work was excellent and original, it felt a little cliche at times but it made up for it with some great scenes.
½ May 31, 2017
A dark, winding tale that depresses its viewers rather than entertaining them. Chronicle has good ideas, but utilizes them poorly.
May 28, 2017
First two acts are amazing but it's kinda lost me in the third. Good performances though, mainly from Dane DeHaan and Michael B. Jordan.
May 20, 2017
Very good graphics and amazing actors, I couldn't predict the storyline and it was exciting from the start to the end.
½ May 2, 2017
Ok. Not as good as Cloverfield though. Also, horrible effects for the movie. But still fine.
April 28, 2017
Really great movie, really liked the character development and story-line. If you're liked me and love the original twilight zone series, you'll like this movie.
April 24, 2017
Chronicle is one of the best found footage movies there is, and would propably make for one of the best super-hero movies if it wasn't FF. But what these movies always seem to forget, is that at some point the FF format stops making sense, and that can be really, REALLY offputting.
April 12, 2017
Great movie, one of the few films that tries to expand on the idea of psychic powers and their applications.
½ March 29, 2017
Chronicle takes the found footage genre and revitalize it and takes it to another level.
March 26, 2017
One of my favorites.
March 26, 2017
Chronicle is a really good movie
½ March 25, 2017
4.5/5. One of the best found footage films of all time and a fantastic super hero film.
March 24, 2017
For those looking for a thrill!
½ March 20, 2017
Trank is clearly more comfortable with the dark turn in the second half, and consequently the third act turns out pretty cool. Which is not to say it begins terribly, but there is a lot of awkwardness in the acting there, with playing to visible cameras, with people in their mid-twenties playing high-schoolers, and particularly playing the "Holy shit, broooo!" moments to thin air. Some really effective sequences though, and the effects are good even if they're already starting to show their age.
March 17, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie!!!
March 5, 2017
Very cool movie that basically is a super hero origin story.. awesome special effects...and great actors...
½ February 27, 2017
The found footage movie is very polarizing to say the least. Most of us can't even watch our old home movies without vomiting from dizziness, let alone sit through an hour and a half long movie with the same visual style. For me, Josh Trank perfectly executed not only the cinematography, but the intimacy that it evokes with regards to the characters in Chronicle. If only he could've done the same with his Fantastic Four movie...and also not choked Miles Teller.

I'll break this movie down into three parts.
ACTING/CAST - Effing perfect. Michael B. Jordan (before we all realized that this dude an absolute savage when it comes to his talent) steals every scene he is in, and his chemistry with Dane Dehaan and Alex Russell reminded me of the kids at my high school when they weren't shoving me into a locker. It's clear that Trank understands the dynamic that adolescents have with one another, and Max Landis knows how to write for them as well.

STORY/PLOT - With such a short runtime, things come at you fast. The creative ways that Landis and Trank find to involve the camera in everyday situations is incredibly clever and allows you to fully immerse yourself in the story. We are introduced to these characters and quickly shown their motivations and set off on their arcs. The finale/climax is earned, and honestly I'm not sure how Trank was able to pull off what he did with what I'm assuming is not a tentpole budget.

REWATCHABILITY - Don't get me wrong, what Trank was able to pull off here needs to be commended. He created strong relationships between the audience and his characters, but because or how morose everything in this movie is I'm unable to revisit it very often. I'm not saying at all that a movie has to be full of fairies and ponies for me to give it strong marks here, but when the main character is getting abused mentally and physically by his father in a third of his scenes, it's not exactly something I get jacked up to throw in the Blu Ray player.

All in all, on it's five year anniversary of release, I view Chronicle as a genre film that has aged well like Diane Lane or Hellen Mirren. I commend Josh Trank for doing something unique and taking a chance with this film. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go out into the woods and search for an alien artifact so I can get the badass powers displayed in this film.