Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
Sharp dialogue and deft performances make Chronicle more than just another found-footage flick.
November 25, 2016
A highly successful employment of the found footage trope.
November 12, 2016
A good twist on the super-hero found footage film genre
November 12, 2016
this is actually from the same director as fant4stic. for a low budget found footage movie the effects are pretty good. each kid has their own backstory. Matt wants to help people with his powers and he was the hero. Steve wants to use his powers for fun and was the anti-hero. Andrew wanted to use his powers to hurt people and he was the villain. sometimes during this film, I actually forgot it was a found footage movie. this concept is genius and it surprised me in every possible way.

Owens grade: A+
½ November 6, 2016
Missed this on first release 4-years ago. Found footage, and Superheroes have been done to death for me; so this is an interesting refresh. An interesting and enjoyable take on superhero powers coming to suburbia. Ignore the cheap CGI and go with the ride.
½ October 27, 2016
This film makes telekinesis look boring, a feat which I once thought impossible. The three power wielding teenagers use their gifts to build Lego towers and play baseball for about 3/4 of the film. The last 1/4 of the film is wasted on a lackluster ending. Believe me when I say it hurts to watch this film. The special effects are sub par and the plot is pretty much non-existent. I wanted to like this film, I really did. I learned that even though a film has an awesome trailer, it can still suck.
October 8, 2016
Wow that was a trip and a half of a movie awesome Visual effects are so good and real They should do a Super Hero movie or Akira it will be so well done You have to watch this
October 4, 2016
This movie captures the realism of the teenage years while incorporating mostly believable supernatural elements. Instead of focusing on why these kids obtained certain powers, it is an interesting character-study on the outcome of their having the powers. A nicely executed angle. The last quarter of the movie switches tone considerably and we end up with a final flourish of action-sequences and special effects that aren't really necessary.
September 30, 2016
has relatable characters and more entertainment than you would've thought this movie contained.
September 22, 2016
Chronicle is the directorial debut of Josh Trank who ended up directing and writing Fantastic Four, which turned out to be a colossal disaster, and it stars Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, and Michael B. Jordan in a found-footage film about three senior students that found something underground that caused them to have superpowers, but while time goes on where two of them are using it for small stuff, one of them is thinking of using them for something else. This is honestly the most watched film that I've seen that's a found-footage film considering that it's not a horror film, which is a very different approach than the typical found-footage films, and it's kind of a superhero film, which except for Unbreakable, I really haven't seen a superhero film that's not based on any comic books, so it's entirely new on its own thing. So with this, Chronicle remains one of my favorite found-footage films still. With a bunch of newcomers in this, they were great in this as I find it believable that they are good friends. The found footage they used makes sense, and the way it transcends from one camera to another was really clever and would make sense that way. The characters are three dimensional in this that you feel really sorry for one of the kids. The special effects look really good, and the fact that they use their powers for small things is honestly what I would've done to do if I have powers. The script by Max Landis is great at understanding what high school life is like, and also what one of the characters have to go through for not only school, but also family issues. The last act of the film is a lot of fun to watch with a lot of nice shots that make seem like a movie and not a found-footage one. Luckily for this one, it's one of the less jittery found-footage films that I can think of, so it won't really make any people have motion sickness, but there are some scenes that'll probably turn people away who doesn't like getting sick in terms of the camera going around. With that said, Chronicle is a fantastic film that I'm a bit glad that Josh Trank and Max Landis got more careers for their films, even if it's not at their highest yet.
September 17, 2016
Pretty damn freakin' good. The direction is great and the acting is excellent. A refreshing view of the superhero genre that is very far away from what we are used to.
½ September 16, 2016
This does two things. Presents a beautiful super villain story. And more importantly, what would you do if you had super powers? -4 Brians applauding.
September 11, 2016
Its premise isn't particularly original, but its execution is a slight marvel, taking the teen superhero dream to disturbingly dark places never explored before in American cinema -- and taking them there with sure-handed yet unassuming confidence.
August 27, 2016
Dark, sinister, and extremely grim, Chronicle is a rare origin story where it is focused entirely on the origin of the super villain rather than the actual hero.
½ August 19, 2016
While intense, it is also yet another good and catching thriller that uses the more "accidental" style of filming. I don't watch much of these kinds of films, but the idea of this forceful sorcery is one not to miss. Well done on the lower budget special effects also.
½ August 11, 2016
Con Chronicle il tema gią visto e rivisto dei ragazzi normali con super poteri viene rivisitato in modo alternativo. La tecnica di ripresa particolare conferisce al film un realismo generale che coinvolge e diverte allo stesso tempo. Gli effetti speciali sono buoni, anche se in alcune scene in particolare sono piuttosto scadenti. Comunque con un budget cosģ limitato il risultato a mio parere non poteva essere migliore di questo.
August 7, 2016
While the first person view style of the film seems a bit of a bother at some parts and works really great at other parts, the film's story and characters are what really make this film intriguing.
July 31, 2016
Dark and more realistic than any other superhero movie.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Enjoyed it more than I thought, A little slow in places but picks up abit, Not a must see but worth a watch, Not a new story but the found footage effect works better than it would of if it was just a normal shot film.
July 25, 2016
People Say Animation is Terrible, But this is not an animated movie.
This is one of the better Found Footage Films out there.
This is actually the first found footage film i have ever seen in my life and saw it in the theatres, Congratulations Josh Trank, You have been rewarded the best director of found footage movies.

Score: 8/10