Chronicle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chronicle Reviews

May 28, 2017
First two acts are amazing but it's kinda lost me in the third. Good performances though, mainly from Dane DeHaan and Michael B. Jordan.
May 20, 2017
Very good graphics and amazing actors, I couldn't predict the storyline and it was exciting from the start to the end.
½ May 2, 2017
Ok. Not as good as Cloverfield though. Also, horrible effects for the movie. But still fine.
April 28, 2017
Really great movie, really liked the character development and story-line. If you're liked me and love the original twilight zone series, you'll like this movie.
April 24, 2017
Chronicle is one of the best found footage movies there is, and would propably make for one of the best super-hero movies if it wasn't FF. But what these movies always seem to forget, is that at some point the FF format stops making sense, and that can be really, REALLY offputting.
April 12, 2017
Great movie, one of the few films that tries to expand on the idea of psychic powers and their applications.
½ March 29, 2017
Chronicle takes the found footage genre and revitalize it and takes it to another level.
March 26, 2017
One of my favorites.
March 26, 2017
Chronicle is a really good movie
½ March 25, 2017
4.5/5. One of the best found footage films of all time and a fantastic super hero film.
March 24, 2017
For those looking for a thrill!
½ March 20, 2017
Trank is clearly more comfortable with the dark turn in the second half, and consequently the third act turns out pretty cool. Which is not to say it begins terribly, but there is a lot of awkwardness in the acting there, with playing to visible cameras, with people in their mid-twenties playing high-schoolers, and particularly playing the "Holy shit, broooo!" moments to thin air. Some really effective sequences though, and the effects are good even if they're already starting to show their age.
March 17, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie!!!
March 5, 2017
Very cool movie that basically is a super hero origin story.. awesome special effects...and great actors...
½ February 27, 2017
The found footage movie is very polarizing to say the least. Most of us can't even watch our old home movies without vomiting from dizziness, let alone sit through an hour and a half long movie with the same visual style. For me, Josh Trank perfectly executed not only the cinematography, but the intimacy that it evokes with regards to the characters in Chronicle. If only he could've done the same with his Fantastic Four movie...and also not choked Miles Teller.

I'll break this movie down into three parts.
ACTING/CAST - Effing perfect. Michael B. Jordan (before we all realized that this dude an absolute savage when it comes to his talent) steals every scene he is in, and his chemistry with Dane Dehaan and Alex Russell reminded me of the kids at my high school when they weren't shoving me into a locker. It's clear that Trank understands the dynamic that adolescents have with one another, and Max Landis knows how to write for them as well.

STORY/PLOT - With such a short runtime, things come at you fast. The creative ways that Landis and Trank find to involve the camera in everyday situations is incredibly clever and allows you to fully immerse yourself in the story. We are introduced to these characters and quickly shown their motivations and set off on their arcs. The finale/climax is earned, and honestly I'm not sure how Trank was able to pull off what he did with what I'm assuming is not a tentpole budget.

REWATCHABILITY - Don't get me wrong, what Trank was able to pull off here needs to be commended. He created strong relationships between the audience and his characters, but because or how morose everything in this movie is I'm unable to revisit it very often. I'm not saying at all that a movie has to be full of fairies and ponies for me to give it strong marks here, but when the main character is getting abused mentally and physically by his father in a third of his scenes, it's not exactly something I get jacked up to throw in the Blu Ray player.

All in all, on it's five year anniversary of release, I view Chronicle as a genre film that has aged well like Diane Lane or Hellen Mirren. I commend Josh Trank for doing something unique and taking a chance with this film. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go out into the woods and search for an alien artifact so I can get the badass powers displayed in this film.
½ February 26, 2017
amazing movie. awesome story, interesting premise, great action, very funny, and a very deep psychological aspect to it. beastly directing. by far the best "found footage" movie imo. they used it in so many creative ways. and they kept true to it. when a camera was far you couldn't hear the words they were saying, just their voices. or the security footage having no sound. it was so impactful and made it feel real. (3 viewings)

SPOILERS

i loved the way they expanded on the original premise. how they could eventually fly, and put a forcefield around themselves. i loved how in the beginning they were learning it, practicing, messing with people, etc. i also liked that the nerdy kid that everyone picks on is not the good guy but the villain. it makes you think that after all the psychological damage that he went through, when he finally had the power to do something about it, he used it for revenge, etc instead of good. as a smart uncle once said, with great power comes great responsibility.
February 17, 2017
Despite the ratings, I think this is a clichée movie. There are way too many of these.
February 11, 2017
I'm gonna start this out by saying that Chronicle is one of my favorite movies of all time. It put the perfect twist on found footage films and shined a bright light on what can only be explained as what would be more than likely to happen if a person, let a lone a teenager or group of teenagers somehow gained superpowers. They would be confused and hidden with their abilities, and as their powers grew, there would be a massive chance that one of the people would begin to become power drunk and use their abilities to hurt innocent people. This movie is what put Dane DeHaan on the map for me as a good actor along with Micheal B. Jordan. In my personal opinion there is absolutely no flaws in this film and I consider it to be a masterpiece in the history of film making. Now what I would really like to see is director Josh Trank and writer Max Landis to get back to work together to make Chronicle 2 simply because I feel like a not specifically found footage film about Matt's struggle with keeping his life together while trying to find ways to use his power for good would be a just as equally mind blowing film as Chronicle is.
February 4, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this is a masterpiece?
January 19, 2017
A peace of art. Camera is sensational, story is awsome. Everything from the begining to the end is perfect.