Claudine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Claudine Reviews

½ October 4, 2015
A great showcase for both James Earl Jones and Diahann Carroll. Both have tremendous chemistry together and when the sparks fly they fly off the walls. I believe it is Tamu who was also a stand out as Claudine's daughter. It is a bit claustrophobic mainly taking place in the apartment but the performances are so great you will hardly notice. Great writing as well
August 14, 2015
Excellent Allstar cast regarding the hardship of a single mom in the ghetto
½ September 10, 2013
this is a half and half review of the movie
it depends on how you want to look at it from a historical point of view in terms of how the 1970's saw African Americans in cinema
among 'Shaft', 'Black Dynamite', and many others 'Claudine' had the right intentions
it wasn't well-received by the public when it came out but it did try
the movie itself I didn't find that bad to watch but I did pay attention to certain things
the film mainly deals with feminism and masculinity with both Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones in NYC
it's a fascinating role reversal to have Claudine as the mother take up more of the responsibility since she has 6 kids and hoping for a husband to come along the way to make it easier
she appears to be more of the 'man' of the house taking care of her family, working to make ends meet and being concerned
Jones as Roop, the garbage man who takes a liking to her is dealing with a lot; he's much less of a man being insecure, "castrated" in a manner of speaking by having to deal with the fact of being a father, not making any money, having his employment terminated
it raises a lot of questions of who's more manly the black woman or black man, what makes a man truly a man, is one more masculine than the other, is stuff like money enough to consider manhood?
the movie goes back and forth between the racial stereotypes trying to clearly define it all
the kids even get a lot of development in the midst of the Black Power Movement going on
one feels invisible, one has shed his manhood and another has accepted the fact that black men have contributed a lot to society
the social commentary is there focusing on issues such as race, welfare, equal rights, masculinity, femininity which I admired
the themes like family, marriage and the community is also addressed
but the focus is more on the two leads, their romance and deciding who's fit to say what they're identity is
so you see it is a mixed bag because it's not a realistic portrayal of blacks in the time period but at the same time isn't Blaxploitation
it's up to you to choose whether or not the film succeeds what it's doing
May 10, 2013
A good positive movie for the African american community. been a favorite of mine since the mid 80's
½ October 20, 2012
Loved it! A beautiful film, great acting, and I think it delivered a powerful message. Like James Earl Jones' character said in the movie, u just can't win with this system. Same problems they had then r still present today.
October 3, 2012
Diahann Carroll estuvo espectacular. Ella es por lejos lo mejor del film.
August 20, 2012
July 20, 2012
Claudine is the most wonderful movie of all times the dedication of a Mom. As the O Jay's sing always love my mommia.
July 9, 2012
the soundtrack is wonderful
June 1, 2012
My all time favorite movie since a little girl!!!
½ April 5, 2012
One of the best films in African American history(IMHO). Sadly, the late Diana Sands was slated to do the film, but her health wouldn't permit it, and she asked Diahann Carroll to do it, and what turned into a simple little film about a welfare mother with six kids being courted by a garbage man, turned into a hit film, an Oscar nomination for her and many praises. Gladys Knight and the Pips did the score to this film.
March 15, 2012
Diahann Carroll & James Earl jones really nail this movie, an all star black cast
February 1, 2012
Excellent movie. I stumbled upon it showing by accident and I am happy I did.
July 1, 2011
Enjoyed this movie. OMG it's Mufasa when he was young. Mufasa is the character that James Earl Jones did the voice for in the wonderful movie: The Lion King.
Very good looking James Earl Jones in this flick.
August 9, 2010
An oldie, liked Roop and his bubbly personality...portrays real life situations...can't believe I haven't seen it before now.
½ August 1, 2010
I enjoyed this. It is a simple story, in a simple period, but there is a story about a beautiful young mother in the 70's living in Harlem with 6 assorted children; who is not allowed to work because she is on welfare; with the rules and restrictions placed upon her and her new boyfriend, the garbage man. Diahann Carroll is stunning, James Earl Jones was very handsome and likeable when in his 30's. This was fun and interesting to watch.
½ April 24, 2010
Claudine is one of those social education movies that I saw in my African Studies class. It tells the story of a black single woman with six kids who cheats on her welfare. She falls in love with a garbageman (James Earl Jones) who wants to help Claudine and her family but does not have the means to do it. Basically it's a messed up family trying to make it through life. Good acting but at times it feels like they're reinforcing racial stereotypes.
½ March 21, 2010
A movie from my youth that I have very fond memories of and I wonder what ever happened to the not so famous children actors.
March 1, 2010
I love the first 30 minutes of this movie. Then it starts to slide downhill and get worse but James Earl Jones is amazing he's he wooing Dihann Carroll.
February 23, 2010
One of the old movies ever made.