The Constant Gardener Reviews

• Aug 18, 2019

Main topic being political conspiracy with the rebellious passions explored and questioned from the characteristically subtopic romance to an investigative turn that generally thrills towards a riskily honest inevitability, verbally expressing power and beautifully filmed for a degree of cultural respect to the land and truths, as well led by fine performances from Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. (B+)

• Jul 04, 2019

The constant gardener is one of those interesting and grim film exercises that has good intention without proper execution. We have a nice plot that sounds terrific on paper. We have performances that all seem reasonable. We have great cinematography, a clean script, and a great life lesson about true commitment and corporate corruption. But why is this not a well known film? Simple! The non linear directing was a complete distraction in telling the story. We also have characters that are difficult to get attached to. A severe lack of pure emotional depth that drags along with very boring storytelling. It just needed to be more interesting, that's why not many people remember it.

• May 24, 2019

Riveting. A must watch

Riveting. A must watch

• Jan 26, 2019

I couldn't even finish this movie. None of the characters are sympathetic! I honestly believe this film won awards based on the subject and story, not on the actual movie. The story of big pharma not caring what its drugs to do to people and people in power abusing that power is a great theme, but it was NOT portrayed well here because of the horrible characters. I should want to root for Tessa and Justin to succeed, instead, I just watched the clock to see how much time I had left in the movie! Tessa is so hard headed, selfish, purposefully naive, and just plain obnoxious that even with her mission to save people she seems like an arrogant brat with no self-control. If she had had ANY self-control and kept her work and disdain for the people in charge hidden she may have succeeded in her mission without dying! Justin just comes off as a bumbling idiot and weak-willed. He comes across like a dutiful puppy that only does what Tessa wants him to and is unsure if she even cares for him. The film plays more like a documentary than a movie. I was so annoyed at the characters I didn't care what happened to them.

• Oct 24, 2018

A bit too slow for me

A bit too slow for me

• Sep 09, 2018

too much shaky cam, big pharma bad, govt pharma collusion, and a 'deep' relationship told in flashback . part The English Patient, part Blood Diamond part Bourne but paced in a manner that makes 2001 look snappy

• May 18, 2018

Acting was great - but plot was slow & lagged mercilessly - certainly wasn’t a psychological thriller. A long, slow wait for a flat ending.

• Jan 13, 2018

A bit annoyingly white washy but the story actually made a lot of sense. It holds together well. Because something similar actually happened in the USA, on the natives, which is the object of another film I've seen. The film get its stride after they catch up with the start event. It continues until the end. Good cinema not too Hollywoodian. Very credible story that John Le Carré cooked up is less outrageous than the truth, according to him, and I believe it.

• Oct 08, 2017

HATE THIS MOVIE. THEY KILLED JUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( WHY???????????????

• Jun 29, 2017

A must see drama! Ray Fiennes and Rachel Weisz are incredible to watch!

A must see drama! Ray Fiennes and Rachel Weisz are incredible to watch!