The Core - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Core Reviews

January 20, 2017
What the hell did I just watch?
½ January 7, 2017
not bad for a disaster movie. Drawing on a lot of issues to Jules Verne and science fiction fantasy to Michael Crichton, the cast likes slowly becoming the conclusion of the heroes in full stle Armageddon
½ January 5, 2017
Created during a period when disaster movies were already a dying trend, The Core unrealistic, un-epic and unimpressive attempt for a disaster-blockbuster, which somehow succeeds to mildly entertain due to its cast and relatively tight pacing. Not epic enough or impressive enough in terms of special effects, the movie is certainly not worth seeing it on a big screen or renting it, but if you happen to spot it on any of the countless TV channels, it could help you to kill some time on a winter evening.
When the talented scientist Dr.Joshua Keyes discovers that Earth is doomed due to the malfunctioning Earth core a team of scientists is gathered in order to be the last hope of mankind. An uneasy group of characters, the team has to go where not only nobody has never gone, but also where nobody has ever thought of going.
Frankly speaking the mediocrity of this disaster B-movie is all around. When you start from the unconvincing story, go through the so-so special effects and finish at failed attempts to be funny at moments, the movie is actually so bad that it could entertain! The biggest reason why Jon Amiel's delivery is actually watchable is the cast and the type of characters depicted in the movie. Even though the dialogues are quite flat and shallow, the different characters on board makes it intriguing to observe what will happen. This is especially valid for Stanley Tucci's annoying character which is capable to keep the audience engaged for the sole reason of waiting for the moment when he is going to die.
In the end, The Core is definitely not a blockbuster or a disaster movie to recommend spending your money on it. Yet, if you happen to be at home and there is absolutely nothing to see on the TV and you see it on one of the channel, give it a go. It will take you pass a boring evening with a beer and some popcorns in your hand.
December 12, 2016
Probably the most idiotic science fiction and actual science blended movie ever made, I have no interest in earth geology whatsoever, earth geology belongs in documentaries and textbooks not fictional Hollywood fantasy. I only watched this because I was required to in my elementary school's 6th grade science.
October 31, 2016
"The Core" is an average science fiction movie. Emphasis on the fiction. I really enjoyed the concept and feel that it is strongly acted, but these positive attributes are offset by the far-fetched moments that create a constant challenge to maintain our suspension of disbelief. Following the film's release, many scientists weighed in on the complete lack of scientific accuracy from start to finish. While the film brings about feelings of nostalgia toward sci-fi films of old, it completely goes against the movement to bring more real science into science fiction movie. It is laughable when comparing "The Core" to films like "Interstellar" and "Primer." Even with its inaccuracies, this concept probably would have fared better in an era of more advanced CGI. Every exterior shot of the Virgil tunneling through the earth looks cartoonish, and the lava is even worse! The effects create disconnect with the realism of the drama inside of the ship. Unfortunately, most people miss out on the interesting social themes of the film because they are watching for the action sequences. It makes sense that quality actors like Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhart, Stanley Tucci, Delroy Lindo signed on to bring this script to life. They did their part but the effects added in postproduction did not. In the name of science fact, most critics were quick to condemn any person who enjoyed this film; however, I will pass no judgment on any person who enjoys "The Core" for its acting and feelings of nostalgia. Just don't try to convince anybody that this could actually happen.
October 29, 2016
This is probably a movie you never saw and you really shouldn't beat yourself up over that. Two-Face has a terrible haircut and Hillary Swank is slumming it.
½ October 17, 2016
quite possibly THE worst movie I've ever seen . Garbage
September 25, 2016
Nothing Really special But okay i Guess
August 17, 2016
Another 10 little indians adventure. The idea that you could conceal catyclisms with a hacker is ridiculous.
½ July 6, 2016
the early 2000's when you had your hacker, scientist, leading man, love interest, and dick= all "put together for a reason". compared to all the other disaster hollywood movies of this time i would say this is in the slightly below Armageddon in character development and theme song, though hilariously the same movie.
½ June 29, 2016
With a great list of actors, you would expect this movie would be amazing? Right? Unfortunately all of that effort goes to waste In a two hour movie, which thinks it's smart but ends up looking hilariously bad.
May 4, 2016
at least it's over...
May 3, 2016
This is one of the greatest movies ever made in the history of movies. I dont understand why this phenomenal piece of art did not take home a Movie of the Year award. It is extremely realistic, to the point that I actually thought it was real. Any movie made after this masterpiece is meaninglessness and stupid compared to this one. QUALITY #1
April 30, 2016
2016-04-30 kind of implausible but Aaron and Hilary were good
April 20, 2016
It's so bad, I can't help but love it... But it's really bad, so don't count my rating. Lol.
March 27, 2016
A pretty bad copy of Armageddon
March 5, 2016
A piece of poo science fiction with the occasional good plotline
March 3, 2016
it maybe stupid dumb unsmarts I agree but it is entertainment I thought I would hate it but I didn't however the CGI might not be excellent it does put a late 1990s and early 2000s action movie pretty well done 4 stars 81%
½ February 14, 2016
Uno dei film catastrofici che preferisco.
La sequenza iniziale dello Shuttle davvero gradevole.
Peccato solo che si abusi un po' troppo delle leggi fisiche: capisco le licenze narrative, ma non esageriamo!
½ January 24, 2016
Just another predictable "potential end of the world" movie