The Core - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Core Reviews

November 11, 2017
I would love to have this movie on blu-ray for my dvd collection.
October 18, 2017
I loved this movie...Critics will be Critics...there not always on target, like this crew was in reaching the Core...I actually wouldn't mind seeing an updated version...Kept Me Entertained...and Is't that what it's all about ?
September 18, 2017
Despite the fact much of the science in the film is highly questionable, the sheer gall for someone to still release a movie with such a bold declaration that the events in the film are actually possible, is enough to pique my interest! It is a highly fictional notion of being able to journey to the literal center of the earth with some of the most far-fetched suppositions as to how it MIGHT be possible, melding that with some plausable notions as to how the earth might act if the core did in fact stop spinning. The movie dares to make you believe in nonsense, but it does it pretty well. The stars are pretty convincing in their various neuroses brought on from their various high-stress occupations (with the exception of Bruce Greenwood, who is always as cool as a class of vodka on the rocks!). This absurd movie is actually pretty enjoyable with evocative moments; you're made mad enough to want to punch Stanley Tucci square in the teeth when he has his meltdown, or you feel sad when Delroy Lindo sacrifices himself to save the ship. Even DJ Qualls has some strong moments trying desperately to shut down DESTINI or when he realizes what the navy thinks are whales are the ultasonics on the craft. This movie is a terribly miserable attempt to give believability to a lot of highly theoretic science, but the actor are able to pull off enough of an enjoyable performance, it is still quite entertaining.
September 16, 2017
When the statement "That will never work." is followed by "But what if it could?" you know you're in for an implausible but enjoyable ride.
½ September 10, 2017
This movie is just hilariously bad.
June 17, 2017
This movie became one of my favorites since I caught on TV a few years ago. I really like the opening scenes, it's the compelling force which makes watch it over and over. The critics didn't like this film the way I dislike most academy award winning movies, the plot (script) and people are not believable.. I can let go of reality enough to enjoy this movie as just a wonderful escape. All movies showing US or any country creating anything like vehicles that can go into outer space or, in this case, below the Earth's surface in such short time spans is preposterous. But once you get past the science it's great fun. Plus the actors are some of my favorites.
June 9, 2017
It's flawed, yes, but overall, it's a pretty decent film.
March 20, 2017
Not worth the time of day. Just daft daft daft. Not even fun action packed daft.
January 20, 2017
What the hell did I just watch?
½ January 7, 2017
not bad for a disaster movie. Drawing on a lot of issues to Jules Verne and science fiction fantasy to Michael Crichton, the cast likes slowly becoming the conclusion of the heroes in full stle Armageddon
½ January 5, 2017
Created during a period when disaster movies were already a dying trend, The Core unrealistic, un-epic and unimpressive attempt for a disaster-blockbuster, which somehow succeeds to mildly entertain due to its cast and relatively tight pacing. Not epic enough or impressive enough in terms of special effects, the movie is certainly not worth seeing it on a big screen or renting it, but if you happen to spot it on any of the countless TV channels, it could help you to kill some time on a winter evening.
When the talented scientist Dr.Joshua Keyes discovers that Earth is doomed due to the malfunctioning Earth core a team of scientists is gathered in order to be the last hope of mankind. An uneasy group of characters, the team has to go where not only nobody has never gone, but also where nobody has ever thought of going.
Frankly speaking the mediocrity of this disaster B-movie is all around. When you start from the unconvincing story, go through the so-so special effects and finish at failed attempts to be funny at moments, the movie is actually so bad that it could entertain! The biggest reason why Jon Amiel's delivery is actually watchable is the cast and the type of characters depicted in the movie. Even though the dialogues are quite flat and shallow, the different characters on board makes it intriguing to observe what will happen. This is especially valid for Stanley Tucci's annoying character which is capable to keep the audience engaged for the sole reason of waiting for the moment when he is going to die.
In the end, The Core is definitely not a blockbuster or a disaster movie to recommend spending your money on it. Yet, if you happen to be at home and there is absolutely nothing to see on the TV and you see it on one of the channel, give it a go. It will take you pass a boring evening with a beer and some popcorns in your hand.
December 12, 2016
Probably the most idiotic science fiction and actual science blended movie ever made, I have no interest in earth geology whatsoever, earth geology belongs in documentaries and textbooks not fictional Hollywood fantasy. I only watched this because I was required to in my elementary school's 6th grade science.
October 31, 2016
"The Core" is an average science fiction movie. Emphasis on the fiction. I really enjoyed the concept and feel that it is strongly acted, but these positive attributes are offset by the far-fetched moments that create a constant challenge to maintain our suspension of disbelief. Following the film's release, many scientists weighed in on the complete lack of scientific accuracy from start to finish. While the film brings about feelings of nostalgia toward sci-fi films of old, it completely goes against the movement to bring more real science into science fiction movie. It is laughable when comparing "The Core" to films like "Interstellar" and "Primer." Even with its inaccuracies, this concept probably would have fared better in an era of more advanced CGI. Every exterior shot of the Virgil tunneling through the earth looks cartoonish, and the lava is even worse! The effects create disconnect with the realism of the drama inside of the ship. Unfortunately, most people miss out on the interesting social themes of the film because they are watching for the action sequences. It makes sense that quality actors like Hilary Swank, Aaron Eckhart, Stanley Tucci, Delroy Lindo signed on to bring this script to life. They did their part but the effects added in postproduction did not. In the name of science fact, most critics were quick to condemn any person who enjoyed this film; however, I will pass no judgment on any person who enjoys "The Core" for its acting and feelings of nostalgia. Just don't try to convince anybody that this could actually happen.
October 29, 2016
This is probably a movie you never saw and you really shouldn't beat yourself up over that. Two-Face has a terrible haircut and Hillary Swank is slumming it.
½ October 17, 2016
quite possibly THE worst movie I've ever seen . Garbage
September 25, 2016
Nothing Really special But okay i Guess
August 17, 2016
Another 10 little indians adventure. The idea that you could conceal catyclisms with a hacker is ridiculous.
½ July 6, 2016
the early 2000's when you had your hacker, scientist, leading man, love interest, and dick= all "put together for a reason". compared to all the other disaster hollywood movies of this time i would say this is in the slightly below Armageddon in character development and theme song, though hilariously the same movie.
½ June 29, 2016
With a great list of actors, you would expect this movie would be amazing? Right? Unfortunately all of that effort goes to waste In a two hour movie, which thinks it's smart but ends up looking hilariously bad.
May 4, 2016