Death at a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death at a Funeral Reviews

½ July 18, 2016
Hysterically funny British comedy about a funeral going wrong thanks to LSD pills, a grumpy wheel chair user, a hypochondriac and a blackmailing midget. Directed by "Yoda" Frank Oz, it combines all the known features of black and politically incorrect British humor. While it starts out somewhat slow and regular, the film burns a real firework of gags in the second half, culminating in one of the funniest and most wonderfully awkward scenes ever. The acting is accordingly excellent, with Brits either trying to keep their composure or losing it altogether. Go see this and you'll laugh tears like I did.
April 26, 2016
86%
Saw this on 5/4/16
It starts off rather slow and seems to place familiar plot elements, but thanks to a talented cast and some terrific slapstick, death at a funeral manages to be better than the sum of its parts. This is what makes one really laugh out loud, not the stupid self indulgent and self righteous films from America that bear the name of comedy.
December 28, 2015
A fun, light comedy that proves "When it rains, it pours"
½ December 22, 2015
British comedy that is hilarious! Good for a great laugh.
½ November 4, 2015
In my top 5 comedies. Smart, sidesplitting, and goofily charming. All characters are relatable, and this clever tongue in cheek British comedy style is much better than most American comedies. I loved it.
August 14, 2015
Grim, goofy and often charming. Death At A Funeral walks the line between white and blue-collar comedy pretty well. There were some very flat characters though and some of them just kind of blur together. Overall, fun enough to see a time or two.
½ March 29, 2015
It started slow, and was so mean-spirited for the first hour. The scenes also started to feel really plodding and repetitive by the end, with scenes that went nowhere and scenes that were just tired. Most of the tension in the first hour just seemed to come from characters acting totally irrational and obviously ignoring the one thing any sane human being would mention or do. It left the characters looking like lunatics, sociopaths or total idiots. The last half hour had some good laughs and I wanted to love this for Peter Dinklage's sake if nothing else, but there was a lot of bad, sad, boring, and pointedly cruel moments to drag it down. Great cast, good concept, but poor writing and lazy jokes left them with too little to work with.
March 21, 2015
Really british movie. Accidental drug abuse and a gay midget on a funeral. If this doesn't convince you to see this movie I don't know what else could.
½ March 20, 2015
I like how understated the comedy was and the film has a great cast but it's also a little bit predictable. It's also closer to a sitcom story expanded into a film than something that aspires to be epic, but it's a comedy movie, so at the end of the day all it has to achieve is making me laugh. And it did.
½ March 18, 2015
Cringing moments but an OK bit of comedy. As usual Alan Tudyk has the best scenes.
½ March 14, 2015
I can see why they remade this, lot i ideas but so slow and never fully runs with what it's trying to do. The re make only three years later with Chris Rock picks up the pieces (another good film worth checking)

So can see why it was remade
½ March 1, 2015
Not as spectacular as it could've been, but it's still hilarious.
January 29, 2015
The comedy stakes continue to climb and hilarity definitely ensues. Full review later.
½ January 17, 2015
I absolutely adore Death at a Funeral. it is clever as some classic British sitcoms. Matthew MacFadyen is a very good actor!
½ November 21, 2014
What a stinker. I must admit I only lasted about 30 minutes, but I had already wasted my money. I didn't want to waste my time as well.. Only the second film I have ever walked out on.
September 22, 2014
This comedy is mostly successful when it goes for the realistic laughs. When the movie starts to concentrate on the pill popping and poop jokes, it goes downhill. The best parts are the reactions and subtle facial moments, for a decent comedy about death.
½ September 20, 2014
This British farce had me laughing most of the time, though some gags were a bit over the top. Easily forgettable, but it will entertain you for solid hour and a half.
September 4, 2014
Filmed in a nice quirky way, but lacking any substantive humor, 'Death at a Funeral' is a stale comedy that comes nowhere close to the famed wit of the British. A saving grace are the performances by the cast, who are dedicated to their roles and act them well, no matter how unfunny or ridiculous they are.
August 27, 2014
It's spontaneous and silly, and the toilet scene always gets me going.
August 25, 2014
One of the funniest movies I've seen.