Delicatessen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delicatessen Reviews

September 9, 2016
I go back on forth on this one. I loved it on first viewing, but have been underwhelmed on subsequent viewings. I think I have settled on liking it, but not loving it. It's a beautiful looking film with some wonderfully intricate sequences, that also doesn't seem to add up to much.
July 19, 2016
A good late-night watch that's ahead of it's time. Had it been released 20 years later, the internet would have propelled it to international success.
June 8, 2016
France, post-apocalypse. Food is scarce and the residents of a block of flats must exist on what they can. Operating out of the ground floor of the building, and living in one of the flats, is a butcher. He has a method for procuring meat - by hiring a handyman for the building and then killing him. Food stocks are once again running low so he hires a handyman, Louison. However, the butcher's daughter, Julie, falls for Louison and will go to any length to prevent him from getting the chop, including getting him kidnapped by some not-entirely competent terrorists/rebels. High jinks ensue.

Wickedly dark, off-beat, anarchic and clever. Very original plot with some very funny moments and a subversive current running through it. Some good drama too.

Solid direction: dark lighting and a minimalist set help the post-apocalyptic, impoverished feel.

Good performances all round, especially from Dominique Pinon as Louison and Marie-Laure Dougnac as Julie.
½ February 15, 2016
As french comedies often manage to do, Delicatessen intrigues for its odd humour, its mix of genres and the uniqueness of its acting. And the whole thing almost exclusively in tones of yellow.
February 14, 2016
Completely weird in the best way. I loved everything about it
December 21, 2015
Bizarre and fun to watch.
October 26, 2015
Très noir, très étrange , mais en même temps, très captivant. À voir!
Robert B.
September 30, 2015
Delicatessen is a very visually stimulating film. Despite the impression that the description creates, the film is about as much a horror movie as Army of Darkness is. Rather I would say the film is a fiendish and surreal comedy. Whether you enjoy the film or not will largely come down to taste. The acting and filmmaking are good enough to at least warrant a view so you can see for yourself.
½ September 10, 2015
wonderful film - I really really love it!
August 3, 2015
An utterly charming film.
June 8, 2015
Colores calidos que familiarizan con el sentimiento apocalíptico que se vive en una Francia futurista desconsertante, donde hasta los monos pueden ser un platillo. ¿La comedia? Vigente con el estilo euro cinema impregnado en la obra, un lugar donde el más minímo rincón tiene la capacidad de denominarse "arte",
June 3, 2015
A witty back comedy, with excellent balance between humour and macabre.
½ April 27, 2015
Beautiful, fun and bizarre. Impossible to put into words the dream-like environment. All the elements flow harmonically.
April 22, 2015
Good film, should be found under the dictionary definition of quirky. I was pleased that this was so much better than the City of Lost Children, the only other Jeunet film I've seen, which I couldn't stand. This is funny in a twee charming French way.
March 23, 2015
Jenuet's film clearly inspired by Terry Gilliam with its surrealist dystopian world, serves as a bizarre allegory on meat eaters but the potency of the sardonic message is diluted in the annoying whimsical stylisation.
March 6, 2015
An insanely artistic, well shot and well thought out film, Delicatessen is one of those foreign delights that cannot go unseen, as it provides some of the most well thought-out characters and situations to these types of films that dont usually go very far in anything more than story. Delicatessen excells for the most part with its unique characters and setting, and with top-notch visuals and cinematography.
½ February 23, 2015
Delicatessen takes place entirely in a strange post-apocalyptic past (I say past because all the decoration, technology, and everything else seems somewhat ancient.) In this horrific world people are all starving because food is so scarce, and food actually becomes the currency of society. Within this awful world is an apartment building that sits over a butcher shop, where the butcher lures in unsuspecting people in order to kill them and sell their flesh to the starving residents of his building. One of the nice things about Delicatessen is that it doesn't bore the audience with lots of exposition about how the world came to be this way, you just have to go with it. Also, the structure of the society they've formed in this building is nicely presented in gradual steps throughout the film. In fact every aspect of this world is really well-defined without much expository dialogue, with the possible exception of the troglodytes. They have this whole society of underground people that never really get fleshed out so that you can understand how they are interacting with the rest of the world. All we hear is there's some friction between the 2 societies (under and over ground.) I'll get back to these guys later.

I did enjoy a lot of the actors in this film, especially Dominique Pinon who is particularly charming. This is vital for the character of Louison, because we're supposed to see how the residents of the building slowly become attached to him, and Pinon nails that portrayal. I also found certain aspects to be genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, in particular the suicidal wife who continues to fail in getting someone else to kill her. However there was just something about the story that I wasn't connecting with. It was entirely too odd for me. I wanted to care more about the characters but I did not. The whole world was so removed from my own reality that I was having trouble even deciding who I was supposed to be rooting for (aside from Louison, who I think was the protagonist.) Even the butcher had a strange moment where it appeared he was having a change of heart, but then mere moments later he has the most dramatic case of blood-lust one can imagine. But my biggest problem with the movie are those troglodytes. For the longest time I thought they were going to be the deus ex machina that would resolve all the problems, but in the final climactic scenes they played an extremely inconsequential role. So it led me to ask, what was the point of even adding them to the story other than just making things more strange? Delicatessen is not a bad film, it definitely has its moments, but the overall story did not work for me at all.
February 18, 2015
Made about twenty years too late, Delicatessen is still a good example of European arthouse that (unlike most) still manages to skirt the realm of having an actual story. Those who can't bear subtitles would do best to avoid this post-apocalyptic French comedy, those who can may still not find it enjoyable, but for a certain group of us, Delicatessen is fine, just fine.
February 11, 2015
Between 3 and 3 1/2 stars
January 29, 2015
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's thriller/comedy/sci-fi is equal parts all of those with a fantastic performance Dominique Minon. Full review later.