Delicatessen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delicatessen Reviews

½ September 12, 2017
A very weird and strange movie. I'm not sure how I felt about the plot and characters, but the cinematography and directing was top-notch with very clever scenes, camera angles, and sound design.
August 29, 2017
So creative and out there. I have loved this film for many years.
July 18, 2017
While it lacks the Orwellian commentary of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil," the vision and influence is recognizable. "Delicatessen" is a depraved horror-comedy with a deliciously wicked sense of humor.
½ June 24, 2017
Rather good and funny French film that's become something of a classic even if
overshadowed by later works from the same director.
½ April 9, 2017
It's been a long time since I saw a film reclaiming its influences so wonderfully as this post-apocalyptic black comedy.
February 14, 2017
I didn't understand a word of this, yet I was captivated by the cinematography and surreal characters that inhabited the building where every scene takes place. After watching I was read a synopsis of the plot, but I don't really think it's that important. Turn on, tune in, freak out!
½ January 17, 2017
Delicatessen is inventive, bleak, and above all hilarious.
December 24, 2016
A truly bizarre and twisted dystopian fairy tale of a horror-comedy.
November 13, 2016
If you want to see Amelie set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity has turned to cannibalism, Delicatessen if for you. It's a bit stomach-churning, but it is also genius.
½ October 18, 2016
You know those films you haven't seen for a while and remember them being masterpieces - well, that's because some of them were.
September 9, 2016
I go back on forth on this one. I loved it on first viewing, but have been underwhelmed on subsequent viewings. I think I have settled on liking it, but not loving it. It's a beautiful looking film with some wonderfully intricate sequences, that also doesn't seem to add up to much.
July 19, 2016
A good late-night watch that's ahead of it's time. Had it been released 20 years later, the internet would have propelled it to international success.
June 8, 2016
France, post-apocalypse. Food is scarce and the residents of a block of flats must exist on what they can. Operating out of the ground floor of the building, and living in one of the flats, is a butcher. He has a method for procuring meat - by hiring a handyman for the building and then killing him. Food stocks are once again running low so he hires a handyman, Louison. However, the butcher's daughter, Julie, falls for Louison and will go to any length to prevent him from getting the chop, including getting him kidnapped by some not-entirely competent terrorists/rebels. High jinks ensue.

Wickedly dark, off-beat, anarchic and clever. Very original plot with some very funny moments and a subversive current running through it. Some good drama too.

Solid direction: dark lighting and a minimalist set help the post-apocalyptic, impoverished feel.

Good performances all round, especially from Dominique Pinon as Louison and Marie-Laure Dougnac as Julie.
½ February 15, 2016
As french comedies often manage to do, Delicatessen intrigues for its odd humour, its mix of genres and the uniqueness of its acting. And the whole thing almost exclusively in tones of yellow.
February 14, 2016
Completely weird in the best way. I loved everything about it
December 21, 2015
Bizarre and fun to watch.
October 26, 2015
Très noir, très étrange , mais en même temps, très captivant. À voir!
Robert B.
September 30, 2015
Delicatessen is a very visually stimulating film. Despite the impression that the description creates, the film is about as much a horror movie as Army of Darkness is. Rather I would say the film is a fiendish and surreal comedy. Whether you enjoy the film or not will largely come down to taste. The acting and filmmaking are good enough to at least warrant a view so you can see for yourself.
½ September 10, 2015
wonderful film - I really really love it!
August 3, 2015
An utterly charming film.