Delicatessen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delicatessen Reviews

June 10, 2012
A former clown lives in a tenement that features several quirky characters including a cannibalistic butcher.
Super Reviewer Alice Shen contends that Jean-Pierre Jeunet had one good idea, Amelie. I disagree only because I love A Very Long Engagement and liked Micmacs, but her view that his work descends into a convoluted mess when he is unable to seamlessly entwine his characters and plotlines is well-taken in the case of Delicatessen. The underground army that plays a seminal role in the film's conclusion isn't introduced until the second act, and even then, I thought they were just passing through, on their way to another movie. The quirky "sex symphony" and the quirkier frog man weren't interesting or amusing; they were just Jeunet trying too hard. I also think that Dominque Pinon, winner of the Most Interesting-Looking Face award, is more suitable to supporting roles, where he can provide the perfect balance to the film's straight man, as he does in A Very Long Engagement.
Overall, this is not Jeunet's best work, but it's better than most films about cannibalism.
April 25, 2012
This is exactly like Brazil. That is to say, the movies look really really similar, in thier cluttered sets, quirky characters and post-apocalyptic yet casual world. I liked it as much as I liked Brazil. It was fun, kinda cool, but not really my cup of tea. It kind of bothered me the way it couldn't quite pick what genre it was supposed to be. I think it wanted to be a comedy.
August 26, 2010
05/01/2011 (DVD)

Quite good! An unusual setting with unusual characters which made this an unusually good movie. It is a flick with deception as it seemed to be a friendly comedy, but it's really smothered with darkness!

Strangely, there's romance and it's the cutest kind that lightens up the rather darkly theme, very enjoyable to sit through. It's funny which was weird for me cause its just so heavy with evilness, I was so concerned and yet I couldn't stop laughing. Its so playful and yet so evil, what a stir.

Definitely a strange one for me but a very manageable sitting. I must say that I liked this a little more than "The City of Lost Children" but anyway it's probably not one for everybody, but it was a good watch for me. I do hope to find more like this, I'm enjoying the seriously weird and strange films that exist, sweet.
½ June 29, 2007
France in a not-too-distant, post-apocalyptic future. A grim and filthy existence, where the shortage of food have turned some into desperate acts of cannibalism. Not exactly the sort of things we associate this otherwise-beautiful country with. In the visual sense, this film is both creative and repugnant simultaneously. The brown-and-yellow color filter really invades the eyes, and brings your thoughts to the dirty restrooms found commonly in local bars. I really enjoyed the ingenuity of the camera shots though. As we know from his other work, such as Amelie from Montmartre, Jean-Pierre Jeunet has an indesputable knack for thinking outside the box. However, due to its unappealing settings and nauseating colors, this unfortunately boils down to my least favourite film by him. On the whole it's still good though and certainly worth the time invested.
½ June 23, 2011
"This is a job for the Australian!"
This is no where near as good as Jeunets masterpiece Amelie; but it is still a very quirky and entertaining film. Although the movie does have some scenes that are extremely funny; on the whole it isn't that funny of a movie. There is a sex scene that is if not the funniest, then one of the funniest parts of the movie. Overall, Delicatessen is definitely worth a watch, especially if you like Jeunets other movies.
January 28, 2010
Absolutely amazing. Equals parts comedy, tragedy, romance and thriller, this is one of the best foreign language you'll ever watch. Full review later.
August 8, 2010
Woah, was this film complicated. You've got wartime cannibalism, attempted suicide, monkeys, clowns, a musical saw. It's the perfect film!
½ September 6, 2009
Set in a foggy, devastated, livestock-lacking town, DELICATESSEN is a delectable dark comedy by the incredible minds of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. The creative team behind DELICATESSEN make up for a somewhat weak plot with impressive character development and visual perfection.

Dominique Pinon stands out among the impressive cast, but the real reason to watch this film is because it's a feast for the eyes. Cinematography, lighting, direction, costumes and performances are all stupendous.
½ August 27, 2009
A butcher runs a boarding house filled with bizarre residents in a near future plagued by shortages, but always seems to have enough meat to barter... Offbeat and often fascinating futuristic black comedy, built around some amazing set pieces (a rhythmic symphony the boarders collaborate on without knowing it, the Rube Goldberg contraptions a schizophrenic woman invents to try to commit suicide).
April 2, 2009
A surrealistic and visually superb black comedy. Original and "delightful".

April 5, 2007
I know it's a good film both in terms of technical style and it's originality, but for me it's a film I'd only ever watch once. I did like the frog and snail man though.
½ November 14, 2006
Louison: This is a job for the Australian!

A dark French comedy set in a dilapidated apartment building in a post-apocalyptic time period, featuring a number of quirky characters.

The story involves the landlord of the building who is also a butcher. Due to the lack of food, he has gone through desperate measures to maintain power over his tenants by murdering people and making them into food for the tenants with currency for trade.

The latest victim will be an unemployed clown, played by Dominique Pinon, who comes to work as a handyman, not knowing of course the situation he has put himself in. During this time he meets the various tenants of the apartment.

The movie revolves around the various characters in the apartment, some other figures emerging over time, and what is to come of the food situation.

The film was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who specializes in making a movies steeped in stylized art direction and production design, which fits with the various idiosyncrasies of the characters. Here the film has a distinctive tone fitting with its story and combined with wide angles and obscure camera movements it all works.

The story is a bit thin compared to Jeunet's others like Amelie or City of Lost Children, but the familiar elements of those films are still here and make it enjoyable nonetheless.

Louison: Nobody is entirely evil: it's that circumstances that make them evil, or they don't know they are doing evil.
September 25, 2008
Bizzare post-apocalyptic black comedy and it has a colourful atmosphere and beautiful look like his most famous movie Amelie but ofcourse in a dark way
½ February 22, 2008
What else to expect from this dream team-up than a masterpiece? Delicatessen is a fabuously toned film, the best sequence being the "sounds" montage. Just great. Have to see it if you have any interest in scifi, dystopian films, Jeunet's work, or solid films in general.
½ September 10, 2007
I loved how this film played around with sound and rhythm.
May 12, 2007
An inventive, funny and delightful Gilliam-esque visually stunning black comedy.
½ August 8, 2007
Dark and dirty slum-apartment setting with quirky characters, typical of Jeunet-directed films. I liked "City of Lost Children" and "Alien: Resurrection", but not this one.