Delicatessen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Delicatessen Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
Delicatessen is inventive, bleak, and above all hilarious.
December 24, 2016
A truly bizarre and twisted dystopian fairy tale of a horror-comedy.
November 13, 2016
If you want to see Amelie set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity has turned to cannibalism, Delicatessen if for you. It's a bit stomach-churning, but it is also genius.
½ October 18, 2016
You know those films you haven't seen for a while and remember them being masterpieces - well, that's because some of them were.
September 9, 2016
I go back on forth on this one. I loved it on first viewing, but have been underwhelmed on subsequent viewings. I think I have settled on liking it, but not loving it. It's a beautiful looking film with some wonderfully intricate sequences, that also doesn't seem to add up to much.
July 19, 2016
A good late-night watch that's ahead of it's time. Had it been released 20 years later, the internet would have propelled it to international success.
June 8, 2016
France, post-apocalypse. Food is scarce and the residents of a block of flats must exist on what they can. Operating out of the ground floor of the building, and living in one of the flats, is a butcher. He has a method for procuring meat - by hiring a handyman for the building and then killing him. Food stocks are once again running low so he hires a handyman, Louison. However, the butcher's daughter, Julie, falls for Louison and will go to any length to prevent him from getting the chop, including getting him kidnapped by some not-entirely competent terrorists/rebels. High jinks ensue.

Wickedly dark, off-beat, anarchic and clever. Very original plot with some very funny moments and a subversive current running through it. Some good drama too.

Solid direction: dark lighting and a minimalist set help the post-apocalyptic, impoverished feel.

Good performances all round, especially from Dominique Pinon as Louison and Marie-Laure Dougnac as Julie.
½ February 15, 2016
As french comedies often manage to do, Delicatessen intrigues for its odd humour, its mix of genres and the uniqueness of its acting. And the whole thing almost exclusively in tones of yellow.
February 14, 2016
Completely weird in the best way. I loved everything about it
December 21, 2015
Bizarre and fun to watch.
October 26, 2015
Très noir, très étrange , mais en même temps, très captivant. À voir!
Robert B.
September 30, 2015
Delicatessen is a very visually stimulating film. Despite the impression that the description creates, the film is about as much a horror movie as Army of Darkness is. Rather I would say the film is a fiendish and surreal comedy. Whether you enjoy the film or not will largely come down to taste. The acting and filmmaking are good enough to at least warrant a view so you can see for yourself.
½ September 10, 2015
wonderful film - I really really love it!
August 3, 2015
An utterly charming film.
June 8, 2015
Colores calidos que familiarizan con el sentimiento apocalíptico que se vive en una Francia futurista desconsertante, donde hasta los monos pueden ser un platillo. ¿La comedia? Vigente con el estilo euro cinema impregnado en la obra, un lugar donde el más minímo rincón tiene la capacidad de denominarse "arte",
June 3, 2015
A witty back comedy, with excellent balance between humour and macabre.
½ April 27, 2015
Beautiful, fun and bizarre. Impossible to put into words the dream-like environment. All the elements flow harmonically.
April 22, 2015
Good film, should be found under the dictionary definition of quirky. I was pleased that this was so much better than the City of Lost Children, the only other Jeunet film I've seen, which I couldn't stand. This is funny in a twee charming French way.
March 23, 2015
Jenuet's film clearly inspired by Terry Gilliam with its surrealist dystopian world, serves as a bizarre allegory on meat eaters but the potency of the sardonic message is diluted in the annoying whimsical stylisation.
March 6, 2015
An insanely artistic, well shot and well thought out film, Delicatessen is one of those foreign delights that cannot go unseen, as it provides some of the most well thought-out characters and situations to these types of films that dont usually go very far in anything more than story. Delicatessen excells for the most part with its unique characters and setting, and with top-notch visuals and cinematography.