De-Lovely - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

De-Lovely Reviews

December 4, 2016
Linda Lee Thomas (Ashley Judd): Your song was absolutely delirious.
Cole Porter (Kevin Kline): Thank you. I'm never quite sure if they get the joke, especially when it's on them.
Linda Lee Thomas (Ashley Judd): You should learn to trust your audience.
Cole Porter (Kevin Kline): I trust it. I just wish I could expand it.

It's been a while since I've seen a modern Holywood musical (and in this case accidentally) and not of the token "high-School-Musical" variety either (I haven't seen any of those nor will I), but this turned out to a bit of a musical but not too much dancing. It was cute, the attempt was sincere, albeit short of the goal, but it still turned out pretty cool. The soundtrack was killer, of course, the story was sound and the actors played their parts very well, kudos to Mr. Kline (who played the lead, Cole Porter) and Jonathan Pryce who played Gabe (I love him!). Overall, the film was truly entertaining and the story was genuinely interesting. I really liked it.
August 13, 2016
Kevin Kline does a nice job as Cole Porter. The musical numbers redeem what would otherwise have been an ordinary biopic.
March 16, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie due to the music,48% is mean
March 18, 2015
A very well done film. It's a fusion of biopic and 1930s film musical. Great performances and atmosphere.
½ January 19, 2015
well crafted historical bio-pic
December 15, 2014
De-Lovely suffers from the same issue that plague most biopics: how can you condense a life that spanned decades into a compact two hour runtime. Kevin Costner is solid as Cole Porter and Ashley Judd is spectacular as Linda, but the film often gets bogged down in the details of their life. The music is fantastic and Kline and Judd have wonderful chemisty and when they come together onscreen it's magic.
November 18, 2014
The songs are, of course, wonderful and the actors are terrific but the film is, mostly, a rather turgid affair. Three stars just for that lovely music.
July 29, 2014
It does a respectable job providing an insight to the wild, but ultimately sad life of a brilliant songwriter.
July 27, 2014
LA HISTORIA DE COLE PORTER SUS DRAMAS Y SU MARAVILLOSA MUSICA.....HERMOSA
April 4, 2014
My first mistake was that I thought I was watching "Beyond the Sea," the Bobby Darin biopic that was released around the same time, My second mistake was that, once I realized my mistake, I was hoping for a Cole Porter biopic. Instead, I found a musical about the struggles of being a homosexual in a heterosexual marriage... Needless to say, "De-Lovely" was a big disappointment. I do like the presentations of Porter's music by popular singers of the modern age (particularly Alanis Morissette singing "Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)" and it is magic to see this composer watching the first performance of "Anything Goes," but that's where the positives of this film end. I would love it if it showed the history and inspiration of each famous hit (a la "The Glenn Miller Story"), but the musical numbers are merely used as interludes between various moments in Porter's personal life. The best part of the film is the "So In Love" sequence, because it actually takes the time to tell the story behind the song and it becomes beautifully meaningful. Kevin Kline is good, but not good enough to save this film. "De-Lovely" strikes me as the type of film that took itself too seriously in anticipation of winning several Oscars, only to find itself without a single nomination. I love Cole Porter's music, but I would recommend watching any of his musicals in lieu of sitting through this one.
½ January 5, 2014
Starts off slow and wasn't sure exactly where it was heading but definitely picks up and shows a crazy journey of love in all of its form. Kevin Klein and Ashely Judd knock it out of the park and makes you believe you were a part of every twist and turn. Tip: put the closed captioning on and pay close attention to the lyrics of all the songs he wrote. Some of the hidden messages will blow you away, kudos.
October 28, 2013
After going gaga over a touring production of Anything Goes, I checked out this bio-pic of Cole Porter. The thin and clunky structure of the film has an elderly Kevin Kline under a veritable ton of latex, putting on a show and through it reminiscing about his life. Unfortunately, the leaden Ashley Judd almost never leaves his side and Kline is a huge ham. So why am I recommending it? Well the sets and the costumes are gorgeous, and the circumstances are charming and slightly ribald. And then AND THEN all of these notable performers pop in for singing cameos: Elvis Costello, Alanis Morisette, Diana Krall. Outfits, sets, bawdy situations and delightful, delicious, de-lovely show tunes.
½ August 1, 2013
Got repetitive early on and stayed that way.
June 22, 2013
I love this film and watch it over and over. Partly for the music and partly for the costumes. Ashly Judd is so gorgeous in this.
June 20, 2013
Not terrible, but nothing really special either.
½ June 19, 2013
The legendary musician's life, as brought to the screen by veteran Irwin Winkler, certainly has many positives, such a great cast headed by an immaculate Kline as Cole Porter, lovely production values that capture the early 20th century perfectly and of course, the man's own memorable and catchy songs, still as great now as they were then. However, it's unusual structure of a play within a film, the celebrity cameos (including Robbie Williams as the Porters' wedding singer) and even the lack of proper dates or time-markers of events may throw off the less forgiving.
June 15, 2013
This is one of the most poignant and complicated love stories you will see in a movie. The idea that it was a true story about a musical genius makes it more interesting. But that its a musical performed by some of the best voices in the business makes it a classic you can watch again and again.
½ June 10, 2013
great cast without must of a plot.
½ June 9, 2013
Very original and a much needed homage to one of the fathers of musical theatre.
May 16, 2013
enjoyed this bio pic of the artist and his long suffering wife. plus i have developed a keen interest in the porter songbook.