The Doom Generation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Doom Generation Reviews

July 6, 2016
So 90's so perfect love the music and cameos. People who rate this movie as poor do not know shit about goth , punk, epidemics of the generation that are free and don't give a shit about what others think. Gregg Arraki movies are so true and very well with a twisted sense of humor and yet hit topics that are very real and what we deal with fucking craziness !! Don't change
June 15, 2016
A load of rubbish. I think that the people that made this took parts of some good indie road-trip movies and over-exaggerated them. This is full of very childish lines and stupid scenes. I think the acting is awful and the whole film is pretty cringe-worthy. The only good thing about this film is it's soundtrack, which is very good at times, but how hard is that to get right? You've just gotta know somebody with good taste in indie music
November 18, 2015
Decent cheb by Rose. Popped them for the boys.
½ October 31, 2015
Good news. Teens are still into experimenting with bodily fluids and putting fingers into rectal orifices, prior to shooting zombie like cashiers who keep charging the devils number for nachos and speed. Not a must-see, just a did-we-see-already.
June 6, 2015
Riding on the coattails of the wave of Quentin Tarantino pop culture obsessed, ultraviolent crime film copycats, this film fits squarely in the lower tier end of the copycats. Part of Gregg Araki's "Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy," the film does have it's defenders, but I found it pretentious and overly mannered. Following the road movie map laid out by "Natural Born Killers" a teen couple, James Duval and Rose McGowan, hook up (literally and figuratively) with a homicidal criminal, Johnathon Schaech, and then set out on a violent road trip filled with a cast annoyingly quirky characters. Quite similar to "SFW," which I did like but was also pretty on-the-nose with it's message about media and violence, but that film had some characters at the heart of it who I really cared about. This film, however, had uninteresting and underdeveloped characters who had a "look" but no substance. I'd say that "Love and a .45" is another film that came out around this time who's story was not that distinguished from other ultraviolet young lovers on the run films, but was made a strong film by have well developed lead characters. I did enjoy seeing Lauren Tewes and Christopher Knight as newscasters though and Parker Posey brought some life to the film with her bit part.
May 15, 2015
The whole film is an odd mess, but not without some satirical merit. One would be unable to call it dull.
½ May 11, 2014
A film that makes you feel awful inside for watching certain events that take place in the film.
The ending is the cherry on top.
It's not a good feel film. Some dialogue can cause a laugh.
But what do you do with the rest of the film that does nothing but disgust, be vulgar, and not disturbing by being graphic, but disturbing by nature.
You watch it once, and that's it. get the experience over and done with.
May 6, 2014
Other than seeing Rose Mcgowan's tits, this oddly amusing piece of post-apocalyptic junk is pretty to look at except it makes little sense in what it wants to say. Was it's message that life sucks? Well, I didn't need a movie to tell me that. Aside from the generation Xer's angsty bullshit, there were some clever one-liners and nicely lit scenes. Gregg Araki has done better though. See Mysterious Skin.
½ April 29, 2014
If you like Araki you'll love it and if you don't you would rather have spikes driven through your eyes.
February 2, 2014
It's like some mother fucker who never had experience with angst thought, "I'm gonna make a movie about teenage angst."
January 16, 2014
Maybe the most incredible Gregg Araki film of the 90's. This tale of three runaways teenagers is just awesomely shot, well written, superbly photographed & acted by some really attaching young actors. A must see if you like underground dark sories.
December 17, 2013
Has to be one of the most under-rated movies I have ever seen. It's not a movie for children and woosies as it is one twisted flick but the ending is epic and isn't skinny puppy in this ? has quite a few other epic performances .
October 4, 2013
Talk about sexual exploration... *drum beat* Perverse and twisted as f*ck! Two stars because I have an open mind to everything.
October 2, 2013
Amazing one liners, beautiful shoegazing soundtrack, trippy visuals. An Easy Rider for the impending apocalypse.
August 12, 2013
I Want to see it !!! I cant find it.
July 1, 2013
I'll give anything that features Skinny Puppy a positive review (look for them in the beginning). I want to find hotels in America like the ones they stay at in this over-the-top, kichy, dark comedy. It features a great soundtrack for all you early nineties alternative music fiends and some pretty stylized sexy stuff. A corny plot, hard to care about the characters, but it's good fun in a cult classic sort of way.
½ May 25, 2013
Horrible in so many ways. I can understand why it's a cult film, but it wasn't a cult I wanted to join. The movie even hurts to look at. The shot compositions were squeezed and awkward and bathed in lighting that was often obtrusively colored in beaming reds. The acting was absolutely halfassed and atrocious. Some of Rose McGowan's lines were giggle-inspiring, but for the most part it was just unbearable to watch her give them.
April 12, 2013
I remember a Margaret Cho cameo, a naked Rose McGowan, a messed up Nazi pitchfork ending and sex scenes that seemed endless. When the sex is boring, where does that leave the movie? Of course maybe that was the point... the ennui of youth and such...
½ April 7, 2013
The Doom Generation feels like it was written by some immature 13-year-old boy trying to be hip and edgy.