Eighth Grade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eighth Grade Reviews

½ November 13, 2018
The acting, screenwriting, directing, cinematography, and plot are the real stars of this movie. Overall it's a well done movie by one of my favorite comedians from recent years. What else can be said?
½ November 12, 2018
Nice film that shows the struggles teens deal with while also feeling like it actually understands how they feel.
The acting was great and felt really natural for the characters.
The ending didn't feel like it resolved everything. There still felt like more that could have been done. The amount of pop culture references and modern calls took me out of the film every now and then.
Before I saw this I had heard nothing but great things about it, and I still think it's good however I feel it's just a little overrated. This is definitely not the best film of the year and most likely won't go down as a classic film.
Overall the story and feels were on point!
½ November 11, 2018
My only quibble; was the dad too much of a unicorn?
November 10, 2018
I've never seen anything like this. Nothing happened all movie. It was like watching the intro of a movie for 1.5hours then it ends. I'm lost how this got 99% its the worst movie i've ever seen.
November 9, 2018
Definitely one of the best movies this year!
½ November 8, 2018
Liked this one more than I expected, although the middle school angst got a bit wearing after awhile. The portrait of the role of "devices" in the lives of the young is very well done and thought-provoking.
November 5, 2018
I just wanted Kayla Day, and every teenage girl she represents, to be okay. Saw it on boxxy software.
November 4, 2018
I'm not sure why 99% of critics gushed so much praise on this movie it was good but not great the relationship between the girl and her dad was interesting I just felt like it could've been a lot better. Her performance was good.
½ October 31, 2018
It walked the line between a scripted movie and reality tv, but the leas performance was good.
½ October 31, 2018
If I could give this movie less of a rating I would. It was so positively boring I could not even pay attention long enough to finish this. Makes you wonder how do you trust a critics ratings if they give this trash 99%.
½ October 31, 2018
Terrific movie. Good story, excellent acting.
½ October 29, 2018
It puts a smile on my face
½ October 29, 2018
Elise fisher was the best part of this movie they captured the eight grade great but they needed more story with other characters I would compare this to the griswalds family christmas because the stoy is driven by the characters so it wont have a proper story
½ October 29, 2018
While Elsie Fisher and the rest of the cast give A-Grade performances, and Eighth Grade most certainly is the most realistic depiction of Middle School I've ever seen, it's so realistic to the point of me questioning why it even exists, if nothing of real interest or lasting conflict happens.

5/10
October 28, 2018
As a big Bo Burnham fan, I wanted to enjoy this film...and I was not disappointed. It was a heavy character movie, with the lead navigating the awkwardness of current adolescence (with social media projections and a hampered ability to have authentic social moments)... The movie seemed pretty familiar to my life 'on-a-daily' with my 15 year old daughter. Not an intricate story, but it does move along okay and sets the scenes for a number of character developments and messages. Nice characters... good ethnography of sorts :)
October 24, 2018
BORING. Literally nothing happens.
½ October 22, 2018
This was a rare experience. A young girl and her journey through the hell (for some) that is adolescence. By the end of the movie I was fully on team Kayla and she felt like family. One thing I loved about this movie is they accomplished all of this without painting her up to be a beauty queen and hiding the real battles in her life. Bo Burnham proves his ideas are viable and his vision is achievable.
October 22, 2018
Awkward, cringy, stressful, and real. What a great film!
October 21, 2018
There are times where I don't feel to interested in seeing a coming-of-age movie. I enjoy seeing movies about people growing up but there are usually so many where I can say "this has been done" and I can tell where its eventually going to go. Eighth Grade at times does but this one seems a tad less gimmicky. I don't love this one as much as Ladybird but I like it more than Edge of Seventeen and overall I think this is a solid start for comedian Bo Burnham's directing career.
½ October 20, 2018
I came to YouTube as a regular user too late for the name Bo Burnham to carry much weight, and admittedly, when I first saw the trailer for the film, part of me who's a jaded moviegoer quickly chalked Bo Burnham's directorial debut as "Just Another Teen Movie," albeit with a considerable makeover to tailor it to the heart of the social media generation. If I only looked at the surface of the film, I might be right; however, this is exactly what makes it like Doctor Who's choice of Time Lord travel tech: it's bigger on the inside.

The film opens with Kayla Day (Elsie Fisher) recording a vlog for her YouTube Channel 'Kayla's Korner' giving handful-sized audience advice on how to be themselves authentically, despite the many anxieties that dot the minefield of tweenage life; a device that Burnham makes great use of throughout the film. After that, there is a beautifully awkward montage of Kayla cloaking herself in the beauty tips and fellow YouTube personalities she deems more beautiful, poised, and more confident than she. This sets the tone for the movie perfectly; confused young person, someone who feels isolated and at war with the rest of the world in a way that only being 13 can make real. She has a lovably dorky, admirably try-hard father played perfectly understated by Josh Hamilton. His conversations with his onscreen daughter usually begin (and often end) with things like "School was good?", "Can I just say one thing?" And many other awkwardly familiar conversation starters that will surely bring to mind the myriad of similar situations from your own life.

The choice of costume for Kayla's daily ensemble is an appropriately young look that somehow always seems to be just a quarter-step behind her peers. And it's apparently what she thinks, too. As in one scene where she clumsily makes her way over to another girl to thank her for the (parentally forced) birthday invite, and during the conversation she says "I really like our shirt, I have a shirt, too." There are also quite a few reminders that the world these young people inhabit has changed in the 25 years since I was that age with all the smartphones that dot the movie throughout and the tragic necessity of a school shooter drill is made apparent by the way it's treated in the film; utterly mundane.

Some things remind me that being 13 hasn't changed all that much in many (very important) ways. Kayla brims with nervous joy as Olivia (Emily Robinson), Kayla's high school shadow partner invites her to the mall, and she tosses her phone in the excitement... And suddenly remembers to pick it up and accept the invitation. She's an asshole to her dad as she tries to find herself amidst the hormones and perpetual anxiety, whoosh can be off-putting but she never loses our sympathies. She constantly gives herself advice that tells us who she wants to be.

Without giving away what makes this film a standout debut, I can safely say that this movie is as authentic to the experience it portrays as it possibly can be. The movie doesn't condescend either its featured age group nor the audience. And Mr. Burnham's directorial style clearly indicates that work many talented YouTubers, he was once a single person production crew, intimately familiar with all the moving parts. I have a sneaking suspicion that he will not be the only one... And I for one, welcome the fresh blood. If I have only one hope for audience members who choose to see this film, it's that we look back on our adolescence with more care and understanding and that perhaps we are able to extend that same empathy to the young people in our own lives.