Eighth Grade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eighth Grade Reviews

½ January 15, 2019
It's interesting how one person's coming of age story can resonate with me so much. Bo Burnham does such a perfect job capturing the little details that sum up the awkwardness and beauty that come with finding yourself in those preteen years!
January 15, 2019
I thought this was a terrific coming of age film about a young middle school girl. Elsie Fisher is really good in the role and the film handles that difficult period in a young woman's life quite well. Good work by the supporting cast as well.
January 13, 2019
This movie was just bad
½ January 13, 2019
Everyone can pretty much relate to this movie in some way. Eighth Grade is definitely one of those movies and times in life where you aren't in high school yet, on the cusp of not being a real kid anymore, and most of all one of the more awkward times before high school. This film follows eighth grader Kayla Day (Elsie Fisher) who is on the last week of eighth grade. Kayla is part of the generation where social media rules everything and she seems to constantly be trying to please others. She shoots videos on YouTube that are self help videos (with little to no views) and obsesses being part of a clique, or truthfully just making some friends. Kayla is a bit of a loner and lives alone with her dad Mark (Josh Hamilton). Mark tries his best with Kayla, but she often becomes distant or irritated at everything he does. Like I said it's an all too familiar story here. The film is a mix of drama mostly, but does have some funny moments in it in a dark comedy kind of way. I enjoyed the performance by the lead Elsie Fisher and she was very believable acne and all on portraying this character. I felt so damn bad for her, but truthfully it's something everyone goes through and the central message about discovering yourself and being your own person is the most important thing. It has a lot of great moments full of heart that I enjoyed as well. First time director Bo Burnham did a great job here and I really like that he used his own background to sort of fuel the comedy aspects here. I enjoyed this one and would recommend giving it a look!
½ January 13, 2019
Coming of age mixed with a slice of life, "Eighth Grade" is painfully authentic as Fisher delivers a genuine navigation of adolescence.
January 13, 2019
Eighth Grade is an incredibly impressive debut feature film from Bo Burnham. Burnham has crafted an acutely aware and well observed film about the pain of adolescence and the loneliness of growing up. It's billed as a comedy and although it has many funny moments I think it is truly a drama that takes a deep dive into the life of a fifteen year old. It works beautifully thanks to a great script and a superb performance from Elsie Fisher as Kayla. Kayla is in the last week of eighth grade in middle school. She has a Youtube channel (with no views) offering advice on teenage life. She is deemed the 'quiet one' at school and finds it hard to make friends. She is an only child who lives with her single father, who is well meaning but awkward. School is definitely not fun for Kayla. In this tightly run film it touches expertly on many subjects. Sexual consent, the perils of social media and teenage bullying. It is all handled with great care and wry humour. It is melancholic but never sentimental. Special mention should be made of the score. It could have been very easy to just stick in a bunch of current pop songs but the director has placed a very atmospheric score that emphasizes character and plot. It is extremely effective. This film will break your heart and also make you cry. It's in very limited release in Sydney, which is a shame as this fine film undoubtedly deserves a larger audience.
½ January 12, 2019
Film for an introvert. Some behaviors that describe "true introvert". Very good, watched for children of the same age. Pretty entertaining
January 11, 2019
Cathartic, poignant, and truly, deeply special. I left my heart on the floor of that theater.
½ January 10, 2019
GARBAGE ITS UNIQUE AND RAW HOWEVER ITS NOT INTERESTING AND NOTHING HAPPENS> IF ITS UNIQUE BEING BLAND ITS SUCK BORING I HATE HER AND SHES MEAN TO HER DAD AND UGLY
January 7, 2019
This movie transports you right back to that awkward stage of your life.
January 6, 2019
This is not a dumb teen movie.
I'm an asian guy in my late 20's. I don't think i'm very similar to this film's protagonist in that regard. However, this film explores the character's emotions and day to day struggles in such a tangible, efficient way that the empathy i felt for the character and her emotions in each and every scene is unparalleled in my experience. Being a different gender, age, and having had a different adolescence was no obstacle for me to bond and feel as if i were this eighth grader.

To me, pacing is a make or break in a film, and Eighth Grade's pacing is perfection, the film flows naturally and never stretches a scene too far or underdevelops a tangent. It perfectly juggles cringy, natural dialogue and tiny, subtle comedic details. It understands timing and entertainment in such a precise way that it's no surprise it was written and directed by a comedian, MIND YOU, this does not mean this is a comedy, not at all. Bo Burnham understood what part of his skills as an entertainer to bring to this project, and what parts to leave out of it. So if Burnham's "wackiness" is not your style, don't worry, he was smart enough to leave that out of this film.
At the same time, the story doesn't go for a super dark teen coming-of-age story. (minimal spoiler alert) We do not see the character crying in the bathroom shattering the mirrors, overdosing on drugs or cutting her wrists, because it doesn't need to. Once again, the dose of drama and suffering is very meticulously handled, no hyperboles, no cheap tricks.

It feels very honest, from the script and the performances, it made me laugh, it made me cry, and i never knew what was going to happen, and that curiosity, matched with the film's impecable pacing and way of making you care for the character, make for a smooth experience that will end with you wanting to see more, but the beauty is you won't.
January 6, 2019
One of my top 3 favorite movies of 2018. This movie takes a raw, moving, hilarious, and often awkward look at the struggles of middle school, that, if not exacerbated, has been significantly changed by the ubiquity of cell phones and social media. A very unique and creative movie, it's both moving and laugh out loud funny. A great watch for kids, parents, and people that are keen observers/appreciators of the changes in our culture that technology has created. Elsie Fisher does an incredible job.
January 5, 2019
Brilliant and fresh. Bo Burnham's latest instalment allows us all to revert back to our eight grade selves as we are reminded of the constant struggle and also the magic that comes with the teenage years
January 5, 2019
This movie was like pulling teeth! The characters were unlikeable and lacking any energy which made me angry watching them. Maybe it's a good example of American schools but it's definitely different in my part of the world.
½ January 5, 2019
I found this movie to be painful to watch. I know it was supposed to be painful to watch, but it worked too well for me. I feel like the people who liked this movie say that they like this movie because they thought they were bad people if they didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t like it. It was like trainwreck, without any attempt at being funny. Awkward moment? check. mean kids? check. It was god awful.
½ January 5, 2019
Just a bunch of bumbling and mumbling and loud music. I enjoy coming of age movies but this is just terrible. 1
½ January 4, 2019
Honestly, this movie sucked. The story was really bad and the ending was just awful.
January 4, 2019
A great movie about life. Just watch it.