Eighth Grade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eighth Grade Reviews

September 25, 2018
Going into Eighth Grade (the film), I was worried that the movie was going to be just one of the nouveau, post-Ladybird coming of age tales, but it brings something very new to the table. I kind of think of it in my head like Lady Bird is the US Office and Eighth Grade is the UK Office. Like it's protagonist, this film is kind of hard to look at, kind of hard to listen to; it's a cringe-a-minute affair that avoids ever feeling mean spirited thanks to the lovable cast. If anything I find the father figure a bit too cutesy for such an otherwise unflinching narrative, but perhaps they felt that without some anchor point for affection, this would feel too much like the classic Thirteen. Oh, great music too.
½ September 25, 2018
THIS WAS THE STUPIDEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN, HOW THE HECK DOES THIS GET A 98%
½ September 24, 2018
Bo Burnham portrays the teenage experience with sheer honesty and respect, and Elsie Fisher carries the film with ease.
September 17, 2018
This was a fun movie, not as strong as I was hoping for going in, but I still enjoyed it nontheless.
September 17, 2018
Bo Burnham outdoes himself while keeping the focus and heart entirely on Elsie Fisher's masterful performance. This could have easily oozed cynicism but chose a charming and attainable optimism instead, solidifying it as the defining coming-of-age teen film of its generation.
September 15, 2018
Eighth Grade felt so honest and true-to-life. Actors flubbed sentences like real people would, and Elsie Fisher plays Kayla perfectly. Josh Hamilton is also great as her dad. One of my favorite movies of the year.
½ September 10, 2018
Wow, how they nailed this spot on. Very impressed. This girl better NOT stop acting, she so captured my attention & heart. I do see the Dad as I do most DAD'S today, FAR too "cheery" and patient trying to navigate what is parenting today but also, I GET IT...it's not the world I grew up in 45 years ago, its increasing far more complicated due to our technological advances. Too bad.. in a BIG way. Sure glad I was young when I was. But doesn't every generation voice that very same lament? I sorta suspect so. There will always be pre-teen & teen angst, there was when I was young too, but this highlighted to me how much more kids are placed under a magnifying glass & the inherent pressures we may not consider that exist right now, when seriously we should.
In a very real way, it's a universal story about growing up...its pains, sorrows, insecurities, decisions. Just YOUTH in all its confusion, glory & heartbreak. I really thought she did an uncanny job, it stuck with me long after credits rolled. I was glad for her heart to heart with her dad in the end, long in coming & yes, maybe not so "common" in OUR days. That's a move forward for 40+ years ago where we only much turned to friends!
In great hopes to see her on screen again soon! And please HOLLYWOOD more of this, less of the (mostly action) pointless spectacles with NO plot or character development.
September 9, 2018
If I were to graph my happiness-level throughout my life, the low-point would definitely come during eighth grade. My family had recently moved from another part of the country, and being a shy, gawky, bespectacled nerd with an unfortunate accent, limited social skills, and all the wrong clothes, making any actual friends was far too lofty a goal - I just wanted to make it through the year with minimal ridicule.

Thus, I was keenly interested in "Eight Grade", a movie about a similarly friendless young girl named Kayla, who lives in an affluent suburban neighborhood with her dorky but well-meaning single dad.

The big difference between being an eighth grader now and when I was enduring it is apparent from the start: social media. Just about the only time Kayla puts down her phone is when she's on her laptop. In addition to constantly perusing and commenting on other people's posts, she also has her own YouTube channel where she posts a series of videos on topics like "the importance of being yourself" which hardly anyone ever watches.

I had a hard time understanding why Kayla has no friends. Other than being quiet and shy, she seems like a normal, well-adjusted 13-year-old who, in addition to being genuinely nice, also meets all of the superficial criteria that are so important to eighth grade popularity. She wears all the right clothes, she has the right hair and makeup, she's tethered to just the right iPhone. Though her skin isn't flawless and she's not rail-thin like Kennedy, a popular mean girl she unsuccessfully attempts to befriend, she's objectively pretty and it's hard to imagine that she's not in the top half of her class in terms of attractiveness. Surely her class must be filled with a lot more Kaylas than Kennedys.

Watching "Eighth Grade" was stressful and emotionally draining as I was in constant fear that Kayla would get hurt or make a regrettable decision. It felt like I was watching one of those horror movies where even during scenes showing people doing relatively boring things, you're constantly expecting Jason to jump out with a machete.

The best compliment I can give this movie is that if feels real. Uncomfortably real. Though Kayla does age 13 a whole lot better than I did, her struggle to navigate this, the suckiest of ages, is almost universally relatable.
September 7, 2018
Hashtag relatable yo. As someone who also has some embarrassing old videos floating around the internet, I connected with Kayla right off the bat. Though the long, uninterrupted shot of Kayla talking to her laptop camera paired with Elsie Fisher's nuanced, sensitive portrayal likely would have done that anyway. Eighth Grade doesn't break new ground, it's a fairly typical coming of age story all things considered, very similar to last year's Edge of Seventeen.

But Eighth Grade is a shining example of this kind of movie. The editing and the score are amazing, the pool scene was genuinely terrifying, and it gave me flashbacks to a very similar time in my own life. Being a chubby kid at a pool party isn't fun. I love so much about this movie, and it gets so much of it's material so right. From the father daughter relationship, to the way it handles the standing up to the bully moment without compromising the personality of our hero, to the way it communicates adolescent lust. It's written and directed by Bo Burnham, which gives me an odd sense of pride. Bo is one of the things I can be truly hipstery about, I remember being insanely excited as a fan of his YouTube videos when he announced he was putting out his first EP on iTunes. Back when a YouTuber getting music on iTunes seemed like an accomplishment. I'm so happy he's had such success. This is another movie I wish I could have seen with Anthony, we listened to Bo Fo Sho about a million times back in the day.
September 7, 2018
Before seeing this movie, I had to know if it was going into "Thirteen" territory, because that's a movie that should be seen once, but only once. Eighth Grade does not "go there" thank goodness, despite the R rating, which you've probably read by now hinged on the number of f-bombs exceeding 1. This is awkward if you remember being a teen, or are one (like the girl I saw it with), or are the father of a teen, but it's very optimistic, and has a message that each of us is capable of choosing our peers, and we shouldn't be dependent on anyone else's judgment to determine our self-worth.
Stick with that new friend, Kayla. The two of you might end up owning the world someday.
September 6, 2018
A movie made by a bunch of small movie companies that try and make a film about a small, innocent, super shy 8th grade girl who tries to fit into becoming a high school girl and dealing with those things. The movie really isn't that bad, its just a drama. But it is so awkward when the dialog is between Kayla and any other person. She is so passive and doesn't want to engage with anyone unless she is talked to first. Also the music cues in the movie were awful playing the wrong music at the wrong time, except for one scene when she is surfing the net on her phone in bed to the song "Sail Away." That was my favorite part. You can relate to Kayla a bit but not enough to like the movie fully. It ends abruptly kind of like Lady Bird and lets you fill in the gaps. Not really a big fan of that. Only 3 stars for this one.
September 5, 2018
Featuring a witty, and all-too-realistic, script, as well as a stellar performance from Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade is a film that not only captures what it's like to grow up in a digital age, but how we all felt growing up and trying to become our own person.
September 4, 2018
Wonderfully authentic with a superb central performance by Elsie Fisher.
September 3, 2018
Good flick, not 98% fresh good, though. Great acting. Sweet story.
September 3, 2018
Vapid! A waste of time; no plot, no character development.
September 3, 2018
Beatiful Film, thank you so much bo burnham.
September 2, 2018
I can certainly understand the praise this film is getting, Elsie Fisher played the awkward 14yr old perfectly. Unfortunately i was bored through much of the film at least until the third act when the emotion certainly kicked in. Just wasn't for me I suppose.
September 2, 2018
great story telling.
½ August 31, 2018
Eighth Grade is one of the best coming of age films I've seen so far this decade. It has amazing performances, excellent writing, a fantastic score and great characters. This is not a film to miss.
August 27, 2018
Simply a wonderful film that captures the awkwardness of that age where you are trying to find who you are and where you belong. The emotions, reactions and consequences are all on point . Elsie Fisher gives a complex performance and conveys her angst brilliantly and Josh Hamilton gives a surprising nuanced yet complicated performanfce as her dad. You'll cry but you will also laugh your ass off